North Coast 500 (with whisky detour!) (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ralph's in lidl getting something he fancies , for me to cook for tea .
That big white boxy Motorhome I mentioned earlier is also here. Is it a unimog ?
image.jpeg
We've got some cracking pictures of the Cairns and the steps . I shall post later once we've been to the other places on our list for today . The weather is still with us ......as you will see when I post later . Still sunny /cloud and no midges . Think its forecast rain at tea time up here .
image.jpeg

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Ralph's in lidl getting something he fancies , for me to cook for tea .
That big white boxy Motorhome I mentioned earlier is also here. Is it a unimog ? View attachment 124894We've got some cracking pictures of the Cairns and the steps . I shall post later once we've been to the other places on our list for today . The weather is still with us ......as you will see when I post later . Still sunny /cloud and no midges . Think its forecast rain at tea time up here . View attachment 124896
That looks like a modified MAN, with an expedition body on the back, very much like @Pat4Neil's.

Too late now I know Bev :( but next time Ralph is in Lidl's, tell him to look out for Marston's Old Empire Ale in bottles, 8 @ £10 (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Well we are at John-o-Groates campsite now . We've had another lovely day and we are whacked again ! Must be the coastal fresh air .
There's a cycle across Britain rally on and it's a bit busy atm .
So we are having a cuppa and a piece of cake while it finishes , before going for a look about .
Must say though , I'm glad we've stopped off en route at lots of places . Not just raced to John-o-groats .......like a lot do . This place could be so much better.

Right back to today's places of interest.
Greyson Cairns of Camster
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Well we didn't need the midge hats as advised !
It was sunny , but breezy so the midges stayed away .
image.jpeg
The Cairns were built 5000 years ago . They are two of the best preserved Neolithic chambered Cairns in Britain .

You can just get into one of them , which has had a slightly larger entrance made .
image.jpeg
This is the entrance of one of the other two Cairns . We didn't attempt going in! I recon you could if you were small enough though. In width and height that is .......
image.jpeg
Amazing to think of how old these are. From the outside they look like a pile of stone . Yet once inside .
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You could easily stand up in the one that you could actually get in .
Getting out was the problem !
image.jpeg
The cast iron gate was very narrow and a bit of a squeeze !
You need a torch as they aren't lit up .
image.jpeg

It was very interesting and worth a stop off .

If your lucky you may even see the GHOST DOG of the Cairns
image.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Whaligoe steps. ( meaning inlet of the whale )

Blink and you will miss the little road for this . But if your fit enough it's well worth a visit.
image.jpeg

330 steps down . There used to be 365 so Davey Nicholson who looks after them says . What a character wee Davey is, more about him later .
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The Harbour was used by his family for years to fish .
image.jpeg
But years ago (1700's) whales were winched up the cliff sides. The winches and some chains still remain . The whales used to get pulled into the Harbour by the currents and get killed on the rocks . So the locals made the most of it !
image.jpeg
This was where a large wooden girder used to be. There were 3 altogether with 2 the other side back in the day .
Then fishing nets would zig zag the now grassed area. To be repaired and dried . The square cut outs to the right where where oil lamps ised to be placed so the fishermen could work at night .
image.jpeg
The black tar covered rocks and stone , to the right of this picture is where the fisherman tared up the ropes and boat bottoms . There's a circular well ( called a barking kettle ) which was filled with cows urine , to dip the nets in . There's a metal grid next to it where a fire was lit underneath it and the tar was heated up in a big pot . To proof the nets and floats.
You can see some chains in the cliff side painted white used to tether the little boats .
Having a rest on the way back up . If you think the steps up to Whitby abbey or Malham cove are bad , don't try these .
Women actually used to carry big baskets of fish on their backs . Then have to walk 7 into Wick to sell them !
image.jpeg
Here's Davey Nicholson. We were very lucky to bump into him and he told us lots of facts about the steps . His grandfather fished here.
image.jpeg
He'd also made an unridable bike . And said if we could ride it along his garden he'd give us £100. Well it would be rude not to have a go !
image.jpeg
The handle bars went a different at to the wheel . Pedaling threw it all over the place .No chance us two doing it , but Davey was off like a rocket !
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Aye just excellent :) You're finding all the wee hidden gems on your way round. Castle of Mey perhaps ? (y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Looks like you are having a great trip. Post your top 3 places when you are finished please.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
After the Whaligoe steps we visited the town of Wick , where they have a sea swimming pool .
image.jpeg
seemingly they paint it each year ! It was a bit frothy and too cold to attempt a swim ! But we ate lunch and then moved on to a ruined castle . Being preserved by the princes trust .
image.jpeg
We had a good look around the 14 century Sinclair Girnigoe castle .
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
It had a little cobbled beach so we stacked some stones
image.jpeg
to join the other ones
image.jpeg

This little fiat was a tow car for a Dutch couple we met whilst there .
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Brilliant, nice to see some of the features of the north east that I skip past, might need to review my next route (y)

You and me both David. . Im guilty of giving that area a quick look and nothing more,but after meeting @PeterandNicole at Millport recently and been told about some of the lovely places it will be on my list for a more thorough look..
@Ralph-n-Bev lovely photos of the castle above , riminded me I did spend a few hour's there last year... I left a wee pile of stones on the beach as well.. :)
Andy

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Last night we arrived at John-o-groates
image.jpeg
This morning was another lovely bright one with promised warm sunshine later
image.jpeg
We were told by Davey yesterday that this hotel isn't staffed . You book and pay online and are given a key code . How bizarre .
image.jpeg
last night we could see 6 lighthouses out in the Pentland Firth .
image.jpeg
It's well worth doing the 2 mile drive to Duncansby Head ( above) to see the Stacks (below)
If your really lucky you could go at£e over t!t and put your foot down a hole and fly trough the air, then do a full roll in the boggy soft ground too !
Fortunately it was very soft and mossy or I'm sure I'd have broken something. I was winded for a full ( peaceful Ralph says ) 10 mins haha.
image.jpeg
We then went on to The castle of Mey. Well worth the £22 for a guided tour around inside. You got a real feel why the queen mother loved the place so much . No cameras allowed inside or dogs . Btw .
image.jpeg
We had a nice lunch in the castle grounds . I had a seafood salad mmmm
image.jpeg
ralph had a ham and cheese panini
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Great pics @Ralph-n-Bev Castle of Mey is really good for a visit. If you get time to do a fairly long walk in and out and the weather stays good, Sandwood Bay round on the north west tip, is well worth the cross country hack......(y)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Moving on to where I'm posting as there's a brilliant signal !
Dunnet Head
image.jpeg
This is actually the most Northern point on mainland Britain . AND it's cracking the flags ! Though it only says 17deg on the dashboard.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You can see for miles out to sea from here and because it's such a lovely day all the islands above . There's a veiwing point ( below ) with carvings of the islands all the way around , so you know which are which . The man that lives up here said this is unusual weather it's usually blowing a gale .
image.jpeg
This was used as a look out place in the war . There's still the bunkers up here where the service men were stationed .
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Well that's it for today . Hope your enjoying following our travels , nearly as much as we are . It's beautiful though the weather certainly helps .
We're heading to Skeray Bay where we will be wild camping tonight . Our first one of the trip .
We've got a couple of nice steaks for tea. We won't be too late tonight . Lots of lovely walking on the coastal hills tires you out !

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Great pics @Ralph-n-Bev Castle of Mey is really good for a visit. If you get time to do a fairly long walk in and out and the weather stays good, Sandwood Bay round on the north west tip, is well worth the cross country hack......(y)
Thanks for the tip . We may just do that . Especially if the weather stays as beautiful as it has been .

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Last night we arrived at John-o-groates View attachment 125009 This morning was another lovely bright one with promised warm sunshine later View attachment 125011 We were told by Davey yesterday that this hotel isn't staffed . You book and pay online and are given a key code . How bizarre .View attachment 125012 last night we could see 6 lighthouses out in the Pentland Firth . View attachment 125013It's well worth doing the 2 mile drive to Duncansby Head ( above) to see the Stacks (below)
If your really lucky you could go at£e over t!t and put your foot down a hole and fly trough the air, then do a full roll in the boggy soft ground too !
Fortunately it was very soft and mossy or I'm sure I'd have broken something. I was winded for a full ( peaceful Ralph says ) 10 mins haha.View attachment 125014We then went on to The castle of Mey. Well worth the £22 for a guided tour around inside. You got a real feel why the queen mother loved the place so much . No cameras allowed inside or dogs . Btw .View attachment 125015 We had a nice lunch in the castle grounds . I had a seafood salad mmmmView attachment 125016 ralph had a ham and cheese panini View attachment 125017View attachment 125018 View attachment 125019
John o groats looks good when we went about 6 years ago the hotel was boarded up with fencing round! Looks great now!!
You have been so lucky with the weather!!

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I know Anthea it's lovely today too . We are very lucky .

Here's Yesterday's report
image.jpeg
As the evening drew in , we headed for a wild camping spot Ralph had googled earthed .
Off the NC555, down a single track road , to a little harbour which we had all to ourselves , bar a few fishermen . Catching the last of the sun , bliss .
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
We parked up right at the edge of the cobbles , had a walk down the pier then had tea .
image.jpeg
A meze of picky meats , salamis , olives and nice cheeses . And of course some beers and fizz.
image.jpeg
There's an unusual spooky little gallery down here and a visitors book . Which we signed.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
There's also a 5 van cc site . I wouldn't know who you paid , maybe the cottage , just before you got here . I wouldn't like to think we were towing a caravan down here either . It was empty but a flat small grassed area with a tap and Elsan .
These are taken this morning before we set off blue skies again.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
From last nights wild spot we headed back along NC route to Durness . Stopping at Sango Sands tonight . A very popular NC500 stop over .
But first , down a no large vehicles or Motorhome road , where the sat nav took us . Ok in Pug Though .
image.jpeg
it took us on a lovely road hugging a loch , bringing us out at Kyle of Tongue view point which is back on the NC.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Back on the road we came across
Which is very interesting if you stop and look .
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
540 million years ago Scotland was on the edge of an ancient continent that lay south of the equator .
When it broke off 430 million years ago it eventually collided with Britain . Forcing up the land and creating the large mountains and hills .
One side of this loch has different rocks and fossils to the other side . Because one side is British land and the other originally From the south of the equator.
The building on the Arde Neakie headland is an 19 century kiln , where lime stone was heated to produce lime , to enrich the soil and make mortar . On to Sango sands . Where we are now having a lazy day . There's a good 3G signal , hence the catch up .

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Ralph's 50 Birthday NC500 Trip
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Sango Sands lovely beaches . When we first arrived before lunch .
Though I'm sat on the beach in shorts in the sun , doing these reports now !
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Here's Pug Parked up till we head off again tomorrow . The satalite is working a dream btw. One button and it's sorted . We watched tv in the little harbour once it was dark last night .
image.jpeg
There's actually a bar and restaurant on site . Trip advisor says it's ok . But I think we will have a look in there before eating . Though we will definitely go in to the bar once washed and brushed up tonight .
image.jpeg
Its been lovely today , were still on the beach though it's clouded up now At 3.40 pm
Ralph's even been in the sea earlier, in his undies ! Here's the proof !
image.jpeg
Here he is doing his best Daniel Craig impersonation ! Haha
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
What a brilliant trip you're having, and so lucky with the weather. If only it was like that more often! Then again it would be spoilt. Hope it continues for you.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Stunning stuff R&B, Ralph i think Bevs got ya beat mate with the pic pose lol, nice try though of the 007 on the beach, the stripey pants lost ya points mate but ya braver than me.. Great pics and loving this thread as much as the pug build... Glad the weather is holding out, looks lovely there;)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Haha it's not Ralph's birthday yet , it's on the 23rd , we've booked into a lovely place to eat . To celebrate . @seesaw We're going to Smoo cave tomorrow morning . We went past on the way here and it was chocca block With it being 11am . We're not even on the west coast yet and we've noticed it busier on the roads . Sango sands site is quite full now at 5.30 .

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Evening R + B, Sango Sands was crammed last week in August when we were there, never seen it so busy, we did eat at the site pub, pretty good but nothing special, good honest food though (y)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Evening R + B, Sango Sands was crammed last week in August when we were there, never seen it so busy, we did eat at the site pub, pretty good but nothing special, good honest food though (y)
We've just eaten and are sat in the bar now. Where we have managed to transfer 100's of photos from the iPhone to the ipad to free up the storage space .
We did eat in the restaurant and it was ok . Better than we expected actually.
Ralph had smoked salmon to start and I had prawn cocktail.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Then I had lamb shank ( which was massive ) on a bed of mash , cabbage , carrot and swede mash .
Ralph had gammon and new potatoes with the same veg.
image.jpeg
The food along with four pints dark isle , Orkney brewery @£4 a pint came to £50 . Not bad we thought , for a captive audience seeing as though it's the only restaurant around. We were too full for puds so we're having a whiskey now , before retiring to pug. Can't believe a week ago today we were in Hawes. Seems ages ago. Two more weeks yet !
Bring it on........
We're eating at a lovely restaurant, The Kylesku Hotel , tomorrow evening . Lovely seafood. Can't wait, Ralph says I'm in for a treat ! The owners are Motorhomers too. http://www.kyleskuhotel.co.uk/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
We went to the Kylesku Hotel last night for the best seafood platter I've ever had , while Ralph's filling up with petrol I'll post some pics . As there's a good 3G
This'll get you all slavering . Ralph's goats cheese starter
image.jpeg
my lovely seafood platter I had fish soup included with my meal .
image.jpeg
scallops , oysters, langoustines, spikies, a whole crab and some cured salmon .
image.jpeg
Ralph had fish n chips
image.jpeg
he's not one for shellfish !
image.jpeg
unlike me . Phew finally finished it .
It was superb. We'd thoroughly recommend the hotel . Mmmmmmm

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Will report on yesterday's and today's points of interest once we get to our campsite tonight Port a Baigh, Achiltibule.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back