Nordic travel plans August / September 2017 (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Much against how I usually do things, I have decided to at least create a route with some timescale for our forthcoming epic trip to Scandanavia

The planning has been brought about by the need to find Mum some decent accommodation for the duration, our local nursing home has been OK, but we feel Mum deserves better all the while she is still so aware at least

Found an excellent facility, run by BUPA called Richmond Villages, unfortunately very popular and not very local, we have made a booking for one in Nantwich, but can only get 26 nights, hoping for a possible 7 night extension which makes a massive difference

My original plan had been, up through Denmark, then Sweden cross to Norway around the arctic circle, out to the Lofoten Islands, then down the Norway coast before heading back to Sweden for the return, hoping along the way to see northern lights, hopefully more than once (y)(y)

The route works out close to 5000 miles and I reckon could just about be done in 4 weeks but would be far too much driving each day, or alternate days even further with breaks, we would really need 6 weeks at least, so not to be for now

So as we only have a 24 night window (need to drop Mum off the night before and collect day after return) this is what I now propose

upload_2017-4-27_22-27-43.png

and even that is 4000 miles, although we will be meandering a bit in Norway taking in the Atlantic Road

Just checked for tolls on the Oresund Bridge from Denmark to Sweden, bit of a must do for us as part of the trip, but on the basis that we will be classed at least as a minibus, it will be €100 each way

upload_2017-4-27_22-29-55.png

but the Atlantic Road is free (y)(y)

upload_2017-4-27_22-30-37.png

http://www.theatlanticroad.com/about.asp

even the planning is exciting :)(y)

For the curious ref route out of UK, there are a few but not many shorter options to get from here to Holland, but not nice for dog travel, we have therefore opted for the chunnel, in the whole scheme of the trip it would not make a lot of difference (y)

Off for a re-read of @Robert Clark trip to Norway a couple of years ago, some common ground on our route I think (y)

Any positive input very welcome, I already know it is probably too far in too short a time, but I am thinking of it as a great reccae trip for next time :):)

I may continue this thread right up to and including the trip itself, or restart as we leave (y)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I shall watch with interest, it's a trip we'd both like to make at some point in the future, glad you've got your mum sorted in a place you're all happy with (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Broken Link Removed

found the thread by RC, great read, cant find a way to save the whole thread so have saved it here for myself for future reference, thanks Robert liked it then, makes a great re-read (y)

am I missing something not being able to save the thread I am sure I have read elsewhere they can be stored somewhere o_O

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
As for the Oresund Bridge, get an annual pass. It cost €40, but saves more than that on a single return journey. We also got the BroBiz/BroPass dongle think which registers automatically & charges your account. Especially convenient for us, with a person with restricted mobility on their normal driver's side. Works for the Great Belt bridge as well. Makes it all very easy.

The web site will say you need to make more than one trip to save, which is true in a car, but not at the higher m/h rate.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I mentioned on here once that we flippantly suggested, as you do, to two distant relations we met in the Faroes last year they were welcome to visit us in England, well they arrived on Tuesday! :LOL:

A half brother of my MiL, born in the Faroes and now 88 who has spent most of his life fishing off the Lofoten Islands but now lives on the island of Smøla off Kristiansund, and his daughter who lives on the mainland.

He was showing us on google maps where he lived and was amazed, as was his daughter, when I zoomed in on streetview and found his house plus the 25 hectares of land that went with it, I had to convert to see it amounted to some 60 acres but seemingly a lot of rocky scrubland amongst it.

So after Smøla it will be a coffee or two with his daughter who lives just off Route 70 in Kristiansund and then onto the Atlantic Road next year.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Broken Link Removed

found the thread by RC, great read, cant find a way to save the whole thread so have saved it here for myself for future reference, thanks Robert liked it then, makes a great re-read (y)

am I missing something not being able to save the thread I am sure I have read elsewhere they can be stored somewhere o_O
You can save a link by bookmarking it. Just click on bookmark at the bottom of any post. You can examine your bookmarks in the list of options when you click on your username at the top of a page.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Brilliant, thanks Annie, never used that facility before, I was looking for a way to save the whole thread, need to look more closely :)(y)

effectively by bookmarking post 1 I have saved the whole thread (or I think I have, will be asking how to find it again in a few days) :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
As for the Oresund Bridge, get an annual pass. It cost €40, but saves more than that on a single return journey. We also got the BroBiz/BroPass dongle think which registers automatically & charges your account. Especially convenient for us, with a person with restricted mobility on their normal driver's side. Works for the Great Belt bridge as well. Makes it all very easy.

The web site will say you need to make more than one trip to save, which is true in a car, but not at the higher m/h rate.

Thanks Simon, (y)(y) that looks to be totally bonkers, we buy a pass for €40, then cross for €44 each way, total spend €124, or we could just pay €100 each way

Hope they don't spot the glitch before we buy and use it :)(y)

just need to work out what the Bizz thing is all about, sounds like some kind of tag? Will wait till nearer the time I think (y)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
David that sounds a wonderful trip, one we too would like to take.

I can remember reading threads by @lorger and 2 couples who travelled together and loved fishing, but can't remember their names, try a advanced search I'm away as you know so can't do it.

Also a great resource is @Our Bumble click on her signature for stopovers and pictures, she writes a fantastic blog and they've been that way.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Very much looking forward to your trip too David
We enjoyed Norway so much we're planing to re visit next year to see the Northern Lights - apparently you might see them from the end of August, when the nights start getting darker.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
David we're going to be there August and September also. Will be watching your research with interest :D. Maybe we'll see you on our travels (it's not a big country is it?!)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
Looks like a stunning trip David, wish we could join you, will look forward to seeing how your plans evolve.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Just 11 sleeps until we are off to create our own Scandiland drama :roflmto: . We were hoping to meet up with @jumartoo but unfortunately we need to go a lot earlier due to other stuff.

So far a bit of reading has been done and some sort of Scandinavian camping card bought along with a lot of map books.

Edit : everyone that we talk to about this immediately tells us how expensive alcohol is . It is making us feel as if they think we might be winos.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
David that sounds a wonderful trip, one we too would like to take.

I can remember reading threads by @lorger and 2 couples who travelled together and loved fishing, but can't remember their names, try a advanced search I'm away as you know so can't do it.

Also a great resource is @Our Bumble click on her signature for stopovers and pictures, she writes a fantastic blog and they've been that way.

Hi the Two couples you are looking for are Sundowners and FlatPackChicken I think if you do a search they wrote a blog

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Sounds an interesting trip. Our experience is limited to the Jutland part of Denmark, It was a lovely place to go beautiful scenery and some great stopoffs, some of them free like Ribe for the viking village. We particularly liked Romo, if you drive over the causeway and keep straight on you arrive at a huge beach that you can just park on for the day - a bit like Black Rock Sands but a lot bigger and nicer. There s also quite a nice stopover on Romo.

On the practical side some aspects were expensive, Drink and eating out in particular and campsites. Although the diesel and non alcohol shopping was similar in price to Germany. In fact if you go to Fehrmarn you will see danes loading booze into trailers and transit vans by the pallet.

Getting about was a bit tedious as over 3.5t are limited to 70kmh on A roads and 80 on motorways, fines are apparently draconian. I say tedious because surprisingly many Danish A roads are long straight and flat.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Our route is a little different. We're leaving Spain in the next few weeks. Ferry 19 May to the UK. One month there then ferry to Holland. Driving to Poland to trek in the High Tatras then a five day orienteering event then ferry Germany to Sweden. Two orienteering events in Sweden then head north in Sweden as far as we want and drive sloooowly back down Norway, visiting friends in Bergen then ferry back to Denmark and a wander back to Spain.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Good luck with the trip. But your route doesn't go anywhere near the Lofoten Islands unless they have moved. They are almost level with the top of Sweden. :)

https://goo.gl/maps/ZjLXWuR7eWm

Thanks John

I am disappointingly well aware :( we had planned a 5 week minimum trip, that would have given us time to get right up there, couldn't find the right place / care for Mum so have had to replan the trip, couldn't get the miles needed to get to the Lofoten area in the 24 days travelling we have available

That said we hope today to find out if we can add a week to the beginning, if that comes off we can revisit the plan, either have a more leisurely version of above or be more ambitious and go for the artic circle again :)(y) it adds about 1500 more miles, but we would then do less Norway coast, coming down to the Atlantic Road then back across (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
then head north in Sweden as far as we want and drive sloooowly back down Norway, visiting friends in Bergen

then ferry back to Denmark and a wander back to Spain.

Hopefully we can pick up on your travel news and learn from your experiences :)(y)

that ferry crossing gets an early mention in Roberts thread, he vowed never again o_O

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Anyone have a recommendation for a good map?

No idea if these are good but they were available.

IMG_20170428_080633.jpg

We could leave them for you somewhere on route Judith , next to a fjord maybe. Seriously, someone going later in the summer is very welcome to use them .

Last edited:

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We are not planning on heading as far North as others. I have done some route planning and suggested this route to mrjenben ( see below).

IMG_20170428_083148.jpg

He was impressed with my planning work until he realised I had snaffled it from the leaflet in the ACSI book.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we are just ordering maps and books, first road maps have turned up, there are hardly any roads to look at them though o_O

also going to order the book @lorger mentioned, need to find his link again, camping spots in Norway that also covers Sweden and Denmark (y) sent the link to work, cant find it now o_O, it looks like it is all written in Norwegian though, so we be dependent on pictures and symbols :)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
also going to order the book @lorger mentioned, need to find his link again, camping spots in Norway that also covers Sweden and Denmark (y) sent the link to work, cant find it now o_O, it looks like it is all written in Norwegian though, so we be dependent on pictures and symbols :)

I think this is the one you are talking about David. Again, happy to pass it on for others to use later in the summer ( as we will be back).

IMG_20170428_083642.jpg

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
that ferry crossing gets an early mention in Roberts thread, he vowed never again o_O

I'm learning never to say never again
Especially if it saves time or money

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
If anyone ever gets to Saetervik on the coast roughly half way between Trondheim and Namsos, let me know. There's someone I'd like you to say hello to!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
some sort of Scandinavian camping card
Available from any of the Scandinavian camping clubs. .

Anyone have a recommendation for a good map?
When we did Denmark & Sweden, (passing through France, Belgium, The Netherlands & Germany on the way), we mostly relied on Google Maps. We were never without an internet connection. We do have a sat nav though.

We only had one fixed point in the whole trip, so there wasn't a great deal of advanced planning to be done. When we did need a map, we frequently wanted large scale & it would have cost a fortune & eaten into our limited payload to purchase all that lot & carry it with us.

For the main 'distance covering' parts of the journey, I would put a town into the sat nav somewhere around where I thought we would be late afternoon, then when we got near, do a search on-line over a cup of tea for what was in the locality. We'd also pull into a service area to do that, which usually had a useful information board about the local area. We found a couple of nice stopping places from those.

We did have that Nordic campsite book. It's ok, but I'm not sure I'd buy it again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back