Non-skid mats / Grip mats

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Minxy Girl, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

they certainly look better than regular plastic gripmats but at less than 2ft in length you may need quite a few....no good getting moving only to bog down again in 2ft

3. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Well ive just ordered some for Ralph, as he liked the look of them .
    So i'll soon tell you:Smile:

4. dshague

dshague Funster

5. aba

aba

• Like Like x 1
  6. stcyr

stcyr Funster

7. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Have you actually tried to use those Pyramid ones yet ?

We got stuck ( but not badly ) on the way back up from Spain this year,, Tried my 'mats' and they helped a little but not a lot.. chap beside us lent us his brand new set of those...

Destroyed one side and never found some of the other side at all.. Went back to my mats and managed to get out..

But I would not recommend those cheap Fiamma mats we have either !!! :cry::Sad:

8. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

9. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

they are not cheap

They are not cheap items.

Bob

10. darklord

Nope they are not, and when you think of the usage/storage etc, they are not ideal for MH use, unless of course, you are regularly in snow/mud situations. Mine are normallyn to be found outside my porch as mats..they get slung in the landrover when needed.

11. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I bought a pair of the same bridging ladders from Duratread. Cost £63 delivered which, I think, is a bit cheaper than the tracmat supplier - delivery is a significant item because of the weight and shape.
    http://www.duratread.co.uk/sand_bridging_ladders.html

In hindsight, I wish I had bought the 25mm thick versions, rather than the standard 38mm. They would have been quite adequate and lighter to handle. In use they are excellent, easily coping with the weight of the rear (driven) wheels for a few days on soft wet grass, and the grippy surface enables an easy pull-away. However, almost nothing is going to enable a motorhome to cross a very muddy field without difficulty. I guess if you really need to do that on a regular basis, a 4x4 Iveco or Sprinter, or even more extreme, a Unimog chassis is the answer!

12. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Was impressed with those tracmat ones..
    Not too impressed with the high delivery costs but hey ( £4.90 would be the actual cost ).. They want to make 'em selves look like a silly little firm that has to seal a couple of quid thats not my problem.. still interested as the product looks good.

Went to checkout and then found prices were plus vat

Sorry, but this is a firm I would not give a penny too or trust any further than a hungry jackal !

Companies that put hidden costs on stuff that you only find out about when you go to pay for the kit are little better than Dale Farm inhabitants ( in fact worse as they are hiding behind a veneer of respectability )

And yes, VAT is something we all pay so why, in this day and age, not include it in the advertised price ?
    Rhetoric question as we all know why.. is is so they can squeeze the perceived vfm quota that bit harder..

Boils my wee this sort of thing

13. darklord

Agreed. I just pointed people to the product, personally i bought mine at a show, no postage, and a bit of a haggle, I,m sure MH owners will spend the time to find them from a reputable supplier. Just as a footnote, the same material is used for walkways in Natinal Grid substations etc over cable ducts etc, and by my employer (national utility) for the same.
    Whatever suits you or your purse, tie some rope to them, and your motor, so when the motor comes out, it pulls the mat out, or you'll spend ages looking for them and digging the,m out:Eeek:

14. aba

aba

i have 4 full mats and have cut 2 of them in half lengthways and the other 2 i cut into 3 sideways giving a total of 10 individual mats equating to about 6 metres or track per side or a single 50cm wide walkway of 12 metres.

i suppose you could get away with 1 full mat cut in half lengthways if you wished they weigh about 20 kilos for a full mat so can eat into your payload quite a bit in a small van:thumb:

15. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We had some of these but they are heavy to carry about all the time and long to store away . Especially when covered in mud.
    They do the job though.
    Unfortunately they melted away to nothing along with lots of other stuff when some scrote set fire to Ralphs lock up. :Angry: