no signal

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by ronidog, Oct 4, 2008.

1. ronidog

ronidog Read Only Funster

I have a Nikkai 10.4" freeview tv model jvt104a and Status 315 ariel that came with my pre owned motorhome.

The ariel box shows a red light so it has power. When the tv is connected up all I get is 'no signal' message . I pressed the auto search button on the remote to try and retune. However the 'no signal' message came up again. I have tried this at three different locations and still get the same message. Has anybody got a suggestion of what to next?

If not, are there any good companies that i could go to for advice and help in the Bradford/Harrogate/Halifax area?

Thanks Ronidog.

2. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Hi.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Its a bit unclear in your post but has the system EVER worked or is it a new motorhome to you and you cant get it to work??:Wink:

3. Terry

Terry Funster

Are you in a freeview reception area?
    terry

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

not sure what model the status 315 is but if its one of those flying saucer types theres yer problem.

some people swear by them but i dont think their to bothered about a crap picture.:Doh:
    unless your very close to a transmitter you aint gonna get a signal......they bearly work on anologue signals so digital is asking too much of it.:RollEyes:
    you need a good quality DIRECTIONAL aerial designed for digital.
    or better still a sat dish. :thumb:

john.

5. ronidog

I have freeview in the house.

The motor home is new to me and so i am just learning about it - I have not got the tv to work yet.

Ronidog

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

There was a Status 315 aerial fitted to our van when we bought it. It is a bit hit & miss when it comes to receiving signals so we bought a Vision Plus 530/18 with appropriate booster box & fittings.

I don't recognise the model number of your TV but it may be like This One which we bought from Maplins.

If you have both digital & analogue in your TV, try tuning in the analogue channels. You might not get a good signal but, unlike digital, analogue isn't all or nothing - and if you do get a signal it will tell you that the 315 would probably be OK in a good signal area.

Graham

7. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

ariels

this may sound obvious but are you pointing the ariel towards the transmitter ? when i arrive on site i always look at the other units and homes to see which way to point! :Eeek:

8. ronidog

Unfortunatley I can't point the ariel as it is omnidirectionalRonidog

9. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

terrestrial based freeview is very hit and miss try pluging your main house ant into the tv do you get a picture. I get a fabulous picture at home even on my mobile ant but 3 miles away and 200ft higher, no picture. Until the whole of the UK converts and signal strength increases it will continue to be a problem. Try a sat receiver and dish.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  10. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

A very timely post,

I have a status 315 and to be quite honset I have never received a picture that is worth watching. I too have just brought a new TV and am looking at an aerial. I want the status 5/ because whenever I speak to others they seem to get a pic in most places. I thought I might find a bargain one on ebay from these MHs that put in saterlitte systems but no such Joy yet. :Sad:

11. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

I concur with what everyone else is saying, digital reception through a status 315 aerial is very hit and miss. When I got my M/H I couldn't get freeveiw at all with the status but I purchased another ordinary style aerial and mounted it on a couple of tent poles, pointed it in the right direction and hey presto, a brilliant reception with full range of programmes, switched back to the status - no picture, same location. As was said in an earlier post, when we switch over completely to digital it should all improve. Dispite leading Europe in digital tv we cannot switch over to full digital power until 2012 as the signal is too great for our continental friends in France and they loose their picture, Oh dear how sad.!!!!!

12. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

can I ask? When you put your ordinary aerial on did you still use the status booster box?

13. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

No, plugged the aerial downlead directly into the Freeveiw box.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  14. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Some aerial boosters do not work with digital, in fact there is less signal than without the booster. Some of the home ones that let you run 2/4/6/8 TVs off one aerial will not work with digital either. Nothing works here anyway we're not getting digital till 2012 :Sad:, possibly cause we're on the coast so perhaps ours would interfere with the French (I wonder how much they'd care if they were interfering with ours:Rofl1:)

15. madbluemad

madbluemad

As somebody else said. Try it through the tv Ariel in your house. If you get a good picture the problem has to be the Ariel.

Get a sat dish. :thumb:

Cheers

Jim

:Wink:

16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

When we bought our Vision Plus aerial we bought a booster box for it. Even though they are made by the same company and (apart from markings) are identical externally, apparently the Status 315 booster cannot be used with Vision Plus aerials and vice versa.

We've never noticed deterioration of digital signal when using the booster box.

At home we use a booster box which is also an aerial feed splitter so that we can direct the signal to both a hard drive recorder and a DVD disc recorder. We had that set-up before digital started but it causes no problems with digital signals.

Graham

17. ronidog

Hello folks

Thanks for the good debate and suggestions

To sum up my thoughts to date:
    It looks like my ariel is a bit rubbish. To get it to work at all I would need an a new anologue tv.
    Freeview is a bit rubbish, variable in quality and needs adirectional ariel

Free to Air satellite seems to offer good possibilty.

However that requires a satellite ariel and satellite receiver. I have looked at the mobile systems. They have issues such as the space to be occupied in my little home and that the fact that we will probably be moving sites frequently during our trips out gives them minus points.

So the big decision is should I go for a Camos crank up dish to fit in where the existing ariel is plus a Zhender receiver? More expensive than intended :Sad:but a good quality system that is easy to us and takes up little space.:Wink: (need to convince a ceratin person)

Any thoughts ? Alternative suggestions?

Ronidog

18. keith

keith Funster

Hi ronidog

I have he same TV & have had great pictures ffrom Freeview, satellite & terrestrial TV. I have a directional ariel & so many times I dont know what direction to point it in. I therefore often have to tune in more than once to find the best direction.
    I have fitted a Camos Crankup flat satellite dish which I find is excellent & very simple to tune into Astra 2 & the Sky progs. :thumb:
    Even SWMBO SAYS IT'S A GOOD INVESTMENT. :Wink::Rofl1::Rofl1:

19. N&K

N&K

Hi Haganap

I recommend this ebay shop
    eBay UK Shop - SYSTEMSAT DIRECT: COAX CABLE - DIGITAL HD SD TV, Buy-It-Now

I use my home SKY box but I exchanged a lot of emails with Jonathan from this ebay shop before buying a package consisting of Tripod, Skydish and sat finder. Their prices are excellent! :thumb:

20. madbluemad

madbluemad

Hi
    Try giving Leisuretech in Clitheroe a call. It sounds as though your fairly close to them. This may sound silly but for various reasons I woudnt touch them with a barge pole, however, I do know that they have a lot of expertise with this stuff. Just get the info out of them for free and then go elsewhere.

Cheers

Jim :thumb: