No signal for TV on old Swift Mondial. (1 Viewer)

Sep 19, 2018
Snowdonia
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi, When I recently went on first trip, the TV would'nt work, which I expected as it looked like an analogue aeriel inside but has one of those flying saucer like dishes on the roof!! ( Van is old).
I know I sound stupid but I don't understand these tech things but on Internet have seen these devices to fix to roof but they had a box to plug in on the inside. Is this box a signal booster and if so is that all I need to buy separately?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It might be there but switched off. Look for a chimney with and ariel and point it in the same direction then retune the tv. All channels are digital these days.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
one of those flying saucer like dishes on the roof!! ( Van is old).
Is this box a signal booster and if so is that all I need to buy separately?

Sounds like a Status 530, not one of the best aerials but will work fine in a good signal area. The aerial should plug into a small amplifier box with a switch on it. If switched off you'll get nothing.

You say "analogue aerial inside", there is no difference between analogue and digital, same aerial, the old plugs were the soldered/screwed types whereas for cheapness the new F connector just uses the aerial wire as the pin.

So find the box and make sure it's switch on ( I'm pretty sure an LED lights up ).

It has a plug in power lead, this can pull out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
F connectors are far superior to the old TV plug. They're designed to introduce as few losses as possible into the co-axial aerial lead (which itself is a lower loss version for satellite). This became critical at the higher frequencies output by a satellite LNB. Every connector in a co-axial cable introduces an impedance bump (or more technically: a slight blockage) which reduces the signal. The F plug is much better than the older device in this respect.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Have you ever had the tV working? Just wondering if that’s old too it’s not digital. If you have to replace your tv and aerial depending on how much you want to watch tv or spend you might be better off getting a Snipe for the roof instead. Half the price of a satellite though limited distance.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you have a flying saucer like dish fitted on the roof of your van it should provide a signal for your TV even if old providing you are not too far away from a transmitter. Most van's are fitted with a TV booster box (12 volt) and if turned off your TV will not work (even if in a good area). Its worth checking out and cleaning all TV cable connections because some have aluminium connectors which are known to corrode.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, When I recently went on first trip, the TV would'nt work, which I expected as it looked like an analogue aeriel inside but has one of those flying saucer like dishes on the roof!! ( Van is old).
I know I sound stupid but I don't understand these tech things but on Internet have seen these devices to fix to roof but they had a box to plug in on the inside. Is this box a signal booster and if so is that all I need to buy separately?

You did retune the TV?

If the roof aerial is circular with a central pinacle they are very inefficient in anything but strong signal areas.

If the previous owner has been using an indoor aerial it MUST point directly & accurately at the transmitter mast.
Look for any house aerials to give you a direction, don't rely on other van aerials.

The booster box must be turned on if you use the roof aerial.
Look in the overhead cupboards or wardrobe to find it.

EVERY time you move from one area to another you MUST retune the TV.

Look in the TV menu to ensure the signal SOURCE is set to DTV.

Or....

The flying saucer type dish thing may be a satellite dish which means ALL the replies so far are a waste of time.

Maybe a picture of it ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
mallyk9
Sep 19, 2018
Snowdonia
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Many thanks all, I now have someone coming to fit a new radio/cd on Saturday and he is going to show me how everything works properly. I went to Porthmadoc Caravan place and they would'nt let me buy a booster -- said to bring it in and they will direct me -- not to waste money. Nice people.

OP
OP
mallyk9
Sep 19, 2018
Snowdonia
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi. TV working now— at least in my drive! Going away again soon so test it then. Did’nt need a booster — at least yet. Thanks all — sorry for delay in replying — IPad gave up and had to renew.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back