No 'Pink' for the Loo, What do you do?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by emmitdb, Feb 9, 2014.

1. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Greetings,

Yet another question from someone who has just joined the ranks from tugging.

Our 'van (Hobby 650) does not have a dedicated reservoir of water for flushing the toilet. The water for such purpose comes from a main clean water tank (Don't know if this is 'the norm' or not.)
    SWMBO is anxious to avoid our experiences in the hire 'van we used borrowed to purchase where, because there had been no sanitizer used in the flushing water, the toilet overall smelled somewhat.:Eeek:

Question; What do all do to ensure the sweetest of smells from around the bowl of the toilet.
    I would add that we do have a decades worth of 'Pink' at our disposal.

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Our m/h thetford flush is also supplied directly from the fresh water tank .... we use no chemicals at all in the flush or the cassette but do have a SOG fitted and this has worked great for us for years.

P.S. we do keep a spray bottle with some "pink" mixed up and just spray the bowl now and again.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The pink stuff isn't needed but keeping the bowl and cassette clean is.

After we had tried various "proper" liquids we were then told how effective supermarket own brand bio washing liquid was and started using that. The different liquids result in a different colour to the cassette contents when it is emptied but, otherwise, we have found the bio washing liquid to be just as effective and much cheaper.

On returning home after each trip I empty the cassette (luckily we have a second toilet downstairs), give it a thorough rinse out with cold water a couple of times and recharge it ready for our next trip (which is hopefully only a week or two later). A couple of times a year or more I remove the seal so that I can more easily gain access to give the mechanism a better clean with toilet wipes, then lubricate the seal with olive oil and replace it. I then half fill the cassette with a solution of bio washing liquid in hot water and give it a good shake (but not violent enough to dislodge any of the internal workings) before emptying and then rinsing with cold water a couple of times before recharging it.

The bowl/pedestal is cleaned using toilet wipes (e.g. Parazone, Mr Muscle) after every trip and as often as deemed necessary during trips.

4. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Ours is fed by water from main tank as well :BigGrin:
    So,every couple of days or so we spray with Thetford bathroom cleaner and,then,with those things on the end of our arms,kneeling in front of bowl,we clean it :thumb:

Mike

5. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Ours, like most others, is fed water directly from the fresh tank. Also like many others, we have fitted a SOG and use no chemicals or additives at all.
    Have a look - it's a simple but great piece of kit
    http://www.soguk.co.uk/

6. chaser

chaser Funster

Being as you have plenty of it , couldn't you just put some around the bowl every now and then when you flush, otherwise do as others do and don't
    bother:BigGrin:

7. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

We just put some pink in an old spray bottle and give the toilet bowl a spray round to keep it smelling fresh. :Smile:

• Like Like x 4
  8. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

Screenwash:Smile:

9. g8ysn

g8ysn Funster

g8ysn

my misses says her sh-t dont stink [ it,s mine]:Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if you really do need the fragrance then simply dilute the pink stuff with an appropriate amount of water then pour into a spray trigger bottle.

Flush then spray.

Though i would suggest its not the lack of pink causing the smell....its the actual cassette, or the way its used.

If you open the slide BEFORE doing the job then smells will come up from the tank.

Leave the blade closed, pump in a goodly amount of water, do what needs to be done then open the blade....it should also elliminate, or greatly reduce, skidmarks on the bowl sides as well

You dont empty the bowl in your house toilet before use so why use it dry in the motorhome ?

We never used pink and never had odours

• Like Like x 1
  11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i really should read all the posts first.....re: trigger bottle :Doh:

12. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

I think it depends on your MO. If you open the paddle before use and deploy your paper the bowl shouldn't retain much niff. However, you do need a neutraliser, liquid or SOG, in the cassette with this method. If you catch all and operate paddle after there's more chance of a pong from the bowl.

13. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

We do the same. (And I too recommend the SOG - brilliant)

14. OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers Funster Life Member

Ours only flushes from the tank but we never use it, as by experience it is ineffective. We use washing powder usually from Lidl rather than the usual chemicals, after emptying we put a powder scoop of the powder in the bowl then a bit of water from the flush. Scrub round with the dedicated brush to completely clean the bowl then a little bit more water to rinse then open the shutter.
    Then fill a cheap spray bottle with dilute cheap disinfectant or in your case as you have loads of pink use that. Then after every use, a quick spray with the nozzle set to jet is most effective and uses a fraction of the water so the cassette will last longer between fills.
    We also have a home made "SOG" system which works very well and cost about a fiver, (actually better than the original) but don't believe their claims, it does not encourage biological action because the fan only runs when the shutter is open, all it does is remove the smells produced and is not good for the plastic to have that amount of ammonia stored without some form of neutralising agent, either the blue which suppresses biological action or the washing powder which encourages it, and the washing powder costs pennies. Plus by using the washing powder it is very much more pleasant for the person doing the emptying and for the people parked next door as they get what the SOG evacuates, which is never completely removed by the carbon filter. (I had better duck now because SOG owners after paying so much for a small computer fan, often get upset)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Loo

My loo is flushed from the fresh tank. It's never been a bother, but we have a small sprayer with water and a cap of Dettol in it.

Russell

16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We have the same 'problem', so have a spray bottle with some mild detergent in (we don't haven't any pink stuff) so use that to freshen the bowl every now and then. Each night hubby uses a wet-wipe to give his feet a freshen-up before bed so uses that to give the toilet seat and inside of the lid a rub down as it can get a bit pongy otherwise as, how can it put this .... er ... erm .... when a 'man' uses a toilet there will always be some 'vapour spray'!!! :BigGrin:

Also, when cleaning your toilet after a long trip, it is a good idea to totally remove the seat/lid from the base unit to clean as it really does get very dirty - despite our cleaning regime, as you cannot avoid some of the 'liquid' getting underneath. We found this out as we simply could not get rid of the stale urine smell, despite the toilet being spick and span, or so we thought, I removed the seat/lid and it was very yukky! :Doh:

17. Yorick

Yorick Funster

I watched the video but still can't work out what it does ? :Doh:

18. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the solution to that is to train him to aim straight or sit down. personally i dont suffer from the problem but have to make sure my equipment is dried and safely stowed away before closing the shutter to avoid accidental circumcision :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the sog system is simply a computer fan that sucks the smelly gases out of the cassette and blows them out the side of the van. not nice for the neighbours, especially if they are sat outside eating or drinking whilst you take a dump

most people with sog units think their shit dont stink because the smell gets extracted. they never consider that those outside get the full benefit of the odour. i realise its suposed to be filtered by a piece of carbon foam, but it barely works when new and few replace the filter

in my opinion, a sog fitted t a toilet is as antisocial as a dripping pipe from a black waste tank

• Like Like x 2
  20. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Ya may as well have a shit in their garden :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1