No longer a motorhome owner.

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Hollyberry, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Well, I may hold the record for briefest ownership of a motorhome.

Anomaly in paperwork was spotted by the lady in the Prefecture when I went to register it. That rang bells, so I had all the paperwork looked at, as well as the vehicle. Nothing was right--the vehicle was probably not the one it purported to be, the paperwork was a right mess, etc. etc etc. The Gendarmes became involved, and the next step was to be the Department of Fraud.
    I emailed the company last night , said I was returning the vehicle today, wanted a refund. no-one expected me to get it, I have to say, and today i was there 10 minutes with French speaking friend and was told straight away a cheque was being written. The salesman looked sh** scared, the owner did get a bit verbally abusive with my friend because I wanted to check the cheque (now in bank) but we left.
    Not sure what their scam is and how it works (I suspect an older vehicle has taken on the identity of a newer one) but please be careful buying out there. there are sharks around everywhere.
    I am now retiring from being a motorhome wannabe--too stressful!

• Like Like x 5
  2. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

awww hollyberry so sorry to hear such tragic news. Lets hope the cheque/check clears and you get your money back.

If you were in the UK I would say come along to the Essex meet, book a static caravan for the weekend and enjoy some FUN with us xxxxx

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

well I never did and you never should, but never mind all sorted now I hope. Don't give up that was a very rare case and luckily you are not I hope out of pocket. Start looking again. Stiff upper lip and all that.:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  4. blamehofman

blamehofman Read Only Funster

Very sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations but please dont let this put you off , its well worth all the hassle in the end .

5. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

As others have already said, and I second, it is well worth any initial hassle.

We bought ours back in July and my only regret is that we waited so long. It has been a magical time ever since, lovely people, and such a stress reducer (apart from the odd crazy driver).

• Like Like x 1
  6. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Sorry to hear about your problem, but well done.
    Any fraud detection and / or recompense is a good thing.

7. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Don't give up

20 years plus and many motorhomes and RV's later still own one.. really worth bashing on.. don't give up.. you will have some really good time in one.. put this behind you and look again.. not every one is a crook.

Regards

Bob

8. EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff Funster

Seems to be a very unusual case, but the main thing is you are not out of pocket, get back on that horse!
    Geoff.

9. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

One bad experience thousand of days pleasure:Wink:

SIMPLES:Cool:

How you planning on holiday's now?

10. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Hope the cheque clears for you .
    Dont let it put you off owning a motorhome though. If i was you i would go to a reputable dealer, unless i was confident around an engine etc , and Im not:BigGrin:
    Bev

11. spitfire

spitfire Funster

No longer a motorhome owner

Hi there

Do not let it put you off. I live in France and am sure there are genuine dealers and owners here :) We brought our van with us and reregistered it here. A bit hard going paperwork wise ( but is not everything here :) )

WE are members of ACCCF which is the french Caravan Club but not at all the same !!! Much less snobby. And if you join them then they have a legal department and their help is included in your subscription.

Don't give up !! You were just unlucky.

• Like Like x 2
  12. wander

wander Read Only Funster

Hello Holly,

So sorry to hear of your problems, do hope you get your money back okay. But don't give up, its a great life motorhoming, you can't beat it!

13. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

sorry you had a bad experience in France buying a MH you shold try one in the UK lots of good MHs for sale here :thumb:

14. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Bugger !!!!

Henry and I are still passing through and look forward to seeing you and delivering your methane gas detector ! ( I will buy it off you as I need one ) chin up !!! :youbetcha:

15. sedge

sedge Funster

Awww Hollyberry - We're really sorry to hear you've had this trouble. {{{Hugs}}}

Please don't let this put you off! Count it as 'experience' LOL

16. Popeye

Popeye Funster

That is rotten luck, but that is all it is, I haven't heard of such a case recently in the Uk.

Your ideal van is out there, you just ain't found it yet. Close shave, keep your pecker up.

Fond regards ..... Griff

17. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

sorry to hear of your plight, chin up when one door closes another opens good luck with ever you choose
    dave

18. movan

movan Funster Life Member

:Sad:Awwww Holly, I am so sorry to hear that. I thought you would be on your travels now with Salopian.....

Holly, please keep in touch and if you are in this country at a time when I am able to go on a meet, you can come and stay with me in the motorhome. .... I can put the awning up so you have a private bedroom. Cooking will be no problem as we are both veggies. Don't want to lose touch.

Big hug. Joy x

19. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

Thanks for posting Holly, I'm sure that at the moment you want nothing to do with motorhomes!

I do hope that the cheque clears and you get your money back - the disillusion will pass I'm sure and next time you won't be so unlucky.

Chin up!

20. John and Cheryl

John and Cheryl Read Only Funster

Awwww Holly, I too am so sorry to hear of your troubles.
    We have just bought our first motor home and I agree, it is very stressful I lost sleep worrying about if I had spent a lot of money on something that would be a mistake but I had done all the checks and its worked out ok so far.
    I bought private and there is a thing called buyer beware that means if you buy private and things are not what you expect then that is your problem and you are stuck with it.
    But there are steps you can take like HPi check in the U.Kit seems you have friends over here so maybe when the shock as gone away and it will with time you can think of looking in the UK the exchange id good at the moment and motor homes are being exported back because they are cheaper over here.
    I hope you don’t let this put you off the idea.
    John