No C1 Licence (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Not 100% sure but I think that if a C1 licence is obtained by 'grandfather' rights then the holder is not able to supervise learners.

"Supervising drivers accompanying provisional C1 licence holders must themselves have passed a C1, C1E, C or CE practical test and have held their full C1, C1E, C or CE licence for at least 3 years. A driver who holds category C1 or C1E only by virtue of ‘acquired rights’ can no longer act as a supervising driver."

From this website; http://www.drivex.co.uk/driving-licence-info/

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not 100% sure but I think that if a C1 licence is obtained by 'grandfather' rights then the holder is not able to supervise learners.

"Supervising drivers accompanying provisional C1 licence holders must themselves have passed a C1, C1E, C or CE practical test and have held their full C1, C1E, C or CE licence for at least 3 years. A driver who holds category C1 or C1E only by virtue of ‘acquired rights’ can no longer act as a supervising driver."

I didn't know that. Interesting...

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Think I can get the wife a c1 course 16 hrs, 4 half days for £850. Better put in budget then. Passed test 6 months too late... doh!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Been researching, seems my son does not have C1 as provisional on his car licence. If you want to drive C1 as a learner, you have to apply for a provisional licence before applying the L plates.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
TONKA SAY.... Me drive big trucks long time ago... :)
Me also had hair !!!!!!

View attachment 96148

Blimey !

A Seddon for goodness sake. :doh:Bet you will be trying to convince everyone that it was a good truck next. :rofl: A Renault and a Leyland as well. Heady days.
Unfortunately, I remember them well. I've driven them too :Eeek:
Is that a Dodge lurking behind the Renault ?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Blimey !

A Seddon for goodness sake. :doh:Bet you will be trying to convince everyone that it was a good truck next. :rofl: A Renault and a Leyland as well. Heady days.
Unfortunately, I remember them well. I've driven them too :Eeek:
Is that a Dodge lurking behind the Renault ?

From a very faint memory. This may have been finals of the "lorry driver of the year" at Cranfield airfield near Bedford..
Bet they dont even do it now.. Maybe a good idea for a reality TV program...
I think the Leylands were quite new at the time..

They gave me one of these once, luckily I only had to take it 1/2 mile to the garage. What a beast...

GUY BIG J4T... Even the name is impressive...

BigJ3.jpg

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
From a very faint memory. This may have been finals of the "lorry driver of the year" at Cranfield airfield near Bedford..
Bet they dont even do it now.. Maybe a good idea for a reality TV program...
I think the Leylands were quite new at the time..

They gave me one of these once, luckily I only had to take it 1/2 mile to the garage. What a beast...

GUY BIG J4T... Even the name is impressive...

View attachment 96224

You could always tell the driver of a Guy Big J in a transport café.
He was the one who's hands were vibrating so badly he couldn't hold a cup of tea with out spilling it ::bigsmile:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

I have held ALL my Licences for ALL categories, by "Granddad" rights. But because DVLA made a right cockup of a Re-Location (Change of address) in the 80`s, I technically lost my LGV. The net result of this Was a Re-Take, (Thankfully at Gordon Browns Expense!, being technically un-employed at the time) in 2000. So by my reading of the website I CAN still instruct / supervise?.

BTW. My BIL was still instructing LGV, in 2012, despite NEVER having taken a Test since his Car test in 1963!. They only stopped him after his heart attack!.

Pete

Deleted User
I have held ALL my Licences for ALL categories, by "Granddad" rights. But because DVLA made a right cockup of a Re-Location (Change of address) in the 80`s, I technically lost my LGV. The net result of this Was a Re-Take, (Thankfully at Gordon Browns Expense!, being technically un-employed at the time) in 2000. So by my reading of the website I CAN still instruct / supervise?.

BTW. My BIL was still instructing LGV, in 2012, despite NEVER having taken a Test since his Car test in 1963!. They only stopped him after his heart attack!.

Pete

I think the grandfather rights issue only related to the changes brought in in 1997 not when HGV licences were introduced in 1968.

i just missed obtaining my LGV licence on grandfather rights as my 21 st was in 1970 but I drove HGV's after I was 21 until my licence ran out, then I hadto take a test.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I took my C1 in what was effect a large panel van not much different to a PVC motorhome. The C test is taken in a full size truck with extra weight added and either a 4 over 4 or a slap box. Hence me failing my C but passing my C1 with very few minors.

Correction: Rick also has a straight 6 box Merc, but I had more problems with that box than I did with the 4 over 4....

I took my C1 in York though and they had a large panel van with a standard van 5 speed box.
Could be wrong but I think he also has full auto hgv as well.
Of course, just like a car, if you pass in an auto you only drive an auto.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Could be wrong but I think he also has full auto hgv as well.
Of course, just like a car, if you pass in an auto you only drive an auto.
That is no longer the case. If you pass in an auto you can still drive a manual.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
By coincidence my 28 year old son who is coming with us to a wedding suggested driving on L plates to give me a break as he doesn't have C1. I said not possible but then realised you see L Plates on lorries and buses and no dual controls?
Guess it's possible but my insurance company would have to agree?
But even if acceptable here, L plates would be a no in France.
As others have said.....
If you dont have aquired rights for C1 then you MUST apply for, and recieve, provisional entitlement BEFORE driving.
Simply applying then driving is not permitted as the provisional entitlement, like any other, can be refused (not that it would) meaning you dont hold the appropriate licence.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
now this is just a theory, but in the case of the driver being unwell and the partner not having a c1. why not phone the insurer and put a set of L plates on. the ill driver (broken leg etc) can be supervising a learner in the upper weight class, which would be legal

just an idea, maybe even wrong but worth checking

As explained earlier, firstly a provisional licence is required to learn to drive a C1 category, then Comfort said they won't insure a learner on a MH. Asked them whilst renewing cover earlier. Seems then that a good idea is scuppered.:sick:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Comfort said they won't insure a learner on a MH.

Why?. And if not how does anyone learn?. (No dont reply, It will be go to a driving school and pay "loadsa money). They all P**s in the same pot!. Driving a C1 is he same as driving a 3.5t B, just heavier. It takes a Bureaucrat to think of that one!, which also keeps them on the comfort gravy train!.

Pete

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
We all know what robbin' barstewards these insurance companies are...... even if you were as honest as Jesus Christ they wouldn't payout on any claim over 20K without a get out clause somewhere. They don't care if you lie on your application forms.... why should they? There's only gonna be one winner......:mad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back