No C1 Licence

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jagtazman, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

My wife does not have a C1 licence and we are looking to the possibility of her taken her test. However in the event of an emergency would she be able to drive or would we have to call the breakdown company to take us home etc.
    Lets say I fall ill at the wheel and am unable to drive.

From what I know I do not believe she would be able to drive does anyone know differently?

2. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

I would assume when you get insurance as they have DOB, they would not cover her for any vehicle over 3.5t, with seeing proof of an additional test.
    So she would be driving without insurance?
    So no couldn't be done.
    Prob best to check with your insurance.

Lin :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

NO... You are right,, She does not have a license and so breaks the law..
    If the worse happened let your insurance sort it..

• Like Like x 1
  4. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

If she's not licensed to drive any particular vehicle, she can't legally drive the vehicle in question.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Just as I thought thx

6. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I've never been asked for licence proofs when taking out insurance and am not aware of anyone else being asked either.

If you had an accident claim then they might want to see it but not before.

7. NickNic

No she can't drive it, and it's nothing to do with insurance. She would be driving a vehicle she isn't licensed to drive and would be prosecuted as such, the same way a teenage joy rider might be.

She can do training for C1E entitlement but it isn't cheap! @motor roamin does that sort of training for a living so he would be able to tell you more.

8. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

No neither have I but I have C1, I just assume as they ask your dob if you are insuring a vehicle over 3.5t and you are not old enough to have an automatic c1, it might flag. Maybe it doesn't.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. NickNic

No it doesn't. The C1 entitlement is based on when you passed your test, not your age.

I have it but 'er indoors is a couple of months older than me and doesn't have it (y)

Thinking about it in motorhome terms, it wouldn't be relevant for insurance purposes anyway. In all the various quotes and policies I've had I've never been asked for the weight of the vehicle.

When I uprated this van I rang the company I was with at the time to inform them and they weren't interested. They said it wasn't relevant to the policy and they didn't need to know.

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

There are hundreds of folks driving american rv's after being told, usually by unscrupulous salesmen, they can drive on a standard B category (car) licence......and every one is driving other than in accordance with their licence, in other words....illegally.
    A standard B cat, which your wife holds, only allows up to 3500kg (with a 750kg trailer if desired)

Not proper licence, no insurance

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. tonka

Someone on facts once contacted me as we had same vans and my name was passed to help sort some issues..
    After a few messages back and forward I discovered he didn't have a license to cover the van as it was 4250kg and he passed after 1997 when the rules changed..!!
    The dealer had happily taken his cash !!!

12. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

It will be written somewhere in the insurance docs that you must have the correct licence for the vehicle.
    The problems will start will start when there is a claim.
    The onus is on you to answer the questions correctly lol

13. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Sorry I did say dob, blonde moment, but they do ask from the date of your test.
    Interesting that they don't want to know about any updating.
    Your original weight would be linked to the vehicle so they wouldn't need to ask once you give the registration.
    Sooo if I uprate ours and forget to tell Nige, he would be ok ;), only joking wouldn't fib to Nige.
    Live in hope the dvla will change the categories in the future and add an interim weight of say 4.5t, maybe if enough over 70's complain. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. PeteH

PeteH Funster

So do I. But I would`nt hold my breath!. Over 70`s are a liability as far as UK society is concerned, and we all should have died years ago, to save having to pay pensions. Or at least that`s how it feels.! They talk a lot about crap about Racism, But Ageism is IMV a LOT more prevalent!. I know for a fact I got far more "respect" in the USA. Age discounts are more the "norm". And if your a "Vet", you can get almost anywhere either free or cheap, including camp-grounds!

Pete

• Like Like x 5
  15. jaytee74

jaytee74 Read Only Funster

i have held a full motorbike licence for 60 yrs recently applied to insure a recently purchased motor scooter 125cc value £350.00 to use with van for visiting POI when van parked up on site insured with BIKESURE (owned by ADRIAN FLUX insurance ) and underwritten by the worst insurance company possible in my opinion MARKERSTUDY . after purchasing policy i was informed that i would have to forward proof of no claims (9 yrs).. speedometer reading. and copy of my PHOTO LICENCE AND LICENCE CODE . to be honest i just felt like saying STUFF IT. FEEL AS IF I AM BEING TREATED LIKE A BLXXDY CRIMINAL.. end of rant.

16. RitaG

RitaG Funster

I just had my medical yesterday as I have reached the grand old age of 70 to re-instate the C1 part of my licence. At least I am now legal ti drive the motor home.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Yup stay away from markerstudy if you can. Trust me from what I know if you make a claim you'll understand why. ..

18. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I had the same problem. I bought a 4500KG Eura and only after I got it home found out I wasn't licensed to drive it. (post 97 license). Took my C1 within 2 weeks.
    C1 is not a hard test to pass or it wasn't back then but the training was worth it's weight in gold.

Failed my C last year but going to have another go at it this year...

19. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

How much was it to take your c1 test?

20. tonka

TONKA SAY.... Me drive big trucks long time ago... :)
    Me also had hair !!!!!!

1.jpg

• Like Like x 3