Nexus 7 as a Sat Nav

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by laser101uk, May 24, 2013.

1. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

I am thinking of buying a nexus 7 and using it as my primary sat nav for the UK and Europe. My rationale being that I get a lot for for my money with all the other functions of the nexus 7.

£169 for the nexus

google sat nav free, nav free is free or co pilot app £30 or tom tom app £60.

I am testing out nav free on my phone at the moment and while its adequate I am not entirely convinced. Google requires a 3g connection which I don't want to leave on when in France. I can of course cache certain areas of France and use google but I don't think this is ideal, next options are to pay for co pilot or tom tom.

has any body any experiences of using a a tablet for thier primary sat nav, or using any of the apps I have mentioned?

cheers

Steve:Smile:

2. chaser

chaser Funster

I used to be a van driver for an electrical wholesaler and tried many satnavs that they sold but I never had one to compare with the nexus7 with navfree been around France with it , no probs, quick and accurate never gets lost or loses signal, although couldn't get google maps to work very well, I also have an iPad that I won, and I can't seem to get that to work as well as the nexus.
    Would recommend the nexus to anyone. :Smile:

3. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Steve you can get co pilot for free without voice :thumb: Used it a few time and works great although in uk only so no idea about over the water --
    edit forgot to say on Samsung tab2 but Nexus is every bit as good if not better
    terry

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  4. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

I have TomTom and sygic sat nav on my nexus 7 , both work well , and if you know where to look you can get for free, but I still use my 520 in the motorhome and use igo primo on the built in system in the car

5. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

I have a Nexus 7 and have paid for Co Pilot Live Western Europe.

Not been used in anger yet. I have downloaded all the ACSI sites, CC Sites, C&CC Sites, CLs and CSs which are there to be found when I browse the map.

Set off on 13th June for a trip to France so will let you know on our return how successful it has been.

Google Maps is not a good method as you can only download a very limited area to your device. When you are offline you will not be able to calculate routes.

Still looking for a nice mount although I have some alternatives in mind.

Steve

6. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I have recently bought an Asus Fonepad (don't laugh!) which is just like a Nexus 7 but ........IT'S A MOBILE PHONE too :Rofl1:

Seriously tho', the reason I bought it is because I can have 300 minutes, 3000 texts and UNLIMITED INTERNET all for just £15 for one month (or £12.90 per month on one month rolling contract.

This way I don't even have to bother about data allowance and I can surf the net until I'm blue in the face!

It cost £179.00 and takes a phone sim card and even a 32gb SD card!

I have tried using Google Nav and although comprehensive it is not really the whole 'Sat Nav' experience. I have been using the trial version of Co-Pilot Live and it works very well indeed, however the software does just 'hang' now and then :Eek!:

The unlimited data is really useful for streaming music from Spotify through the bluetooth to the van radio when driving (crikey, we even use it as a phone!:Cool:)

Dunno if that helps.......

7. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Also just purchased the Fonepad, better value than Nexus 7 as it`s 3G.

8. StitchUp

StitchUp Read Only Funster

My Nexus7 came with a navigation app pre-installed - it's excellent.