Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
I am thinking of buying a nexus 7 and using it as my primary sat nav for the UK and Europe. My rationale being that I get a lot for for my money with all the other functions of the nexus 7.

£169 for the nexus

google sat nav free, nav free is free or co pilot app £30 or tom tom app £60.

I am testing out nav free on my phone at the moment and while its adequate I am not entirely convinced. Google requires a 3g connection which I don't want to leave on when in France. I can of course cache certain areas of France and use google but I don't think this is ideal, next options are to pay for co pilot or tom tom.

has any body any experiences of using a a tablet for thier primary sat nav, or using any of the apps I have mentioned?

cheers

Steve:Smile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I used to be a van driver for an electrical wholesaler and tried many satnavs that they sold but I never had one to compare with the nexus7 with navfree been around France with it , no probs, quick and accurate never gets lost or loses signal, although couldn't get google maps to work very well, I also have an iPad that I won, and I can't seem to get that to work as well as the nexus.
Would recommend the nexus to anyone. :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Steve you can get co pilot for free without voice :thumb: Used it a few time and works great although in uk only so no idea about over the water --
edit forgot to say on Samsung tab2 but Nexus is every bit as good if not better
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have TomTom and sygic sat nav on my nexus 7 , both work well , and if you know where to look you can get for free, but I still use my 520 in the motorhome and use igo primo on the built in system in the car

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I have a Nexus 7 and have paid for Co Pilot Live Western Europe.

Not been used in anger yet. I have downloaded all the ACSI sites, CC Sites, C&CC Sites, CLs and CSs which are there to be found when I browse the map.

Set off on 13th June for a trip to France so will let you know on our return how successful it has been.

Google Maps is not a good method as you can only download a very limited area to your device. When you are offline you will not be able to calculate routes.

Still looking for a nice mount although I have some alternatives in mind.

Steve

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have recently bought an Asus Fonepad (don't laugh!) which is just like a Nexus 7 but ........IT'S A MOBILE PHONE too :ROFLMAO:

Seriously tho', the reason I bought it is because I can have 300 minutes, 3000 texts and UNLIMITED INTERNET all for just £15 for one month (or £12.90 per month on one month rolling contract.

This way I don't even have to bother about data allowance and I can surf the net until I'm blue in the face!

It cost £179.00 and takes a phone sim card and even a 32gb SD card!

I have tried using Google Nav and although comprehensive it is not really the whole 'Sat Nav' experience. I have been using the trial version of Co-Pilot Live and it works very well indeed, however the software does just 'hang' now and then :whatthe:

The unlimited data is really useful for streaming music from Spotify through the bluetooth to the van radio when driving (crikey, we even use it as a phone!:Cool:)

Dunno if that helps.......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Also just purchased the Fonepad, better value than Nexus 7 as it`s 3G.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back