Newbie Travel Tips For Spain And France

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Gin Palace, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Gin Palace

Gin Palace Read Only Funster

:)hi everyone(y)
    New to site and just bought a Motorhome, would appreciate any tips from you experienced motorhomers that have travelled to France, Spain and Algarve. Essential items? Reccomended sites? Toll advice for A22 Portugal?
    Any advice would be great for us newbies! (y)

• Like Like x 2
  2. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Where do we start? First of all :welc:

Take a look at the Continental Travel section in Forum Home and click on Spain and Portugal, and also France. You'll get all the info you think you need there.
    Then if you've got any more specific questions, come right back here. And remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question (Just watch for the stupid answers:doh:).

Good luck and enjoy.

• Like Like x 4
  3. jtp890

jtp890 Funster

Can now register on line and pay by card for tolls in portugal. Travelled through 2 weeks ago, currently in Granada moving south today. Dont miss Cordoba.

4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It's a very personal thing because it depends on what you want to do. If the aim is to go south as fast as possible to reach the sun then you will find a lot of advice here on routes and stopovers, have a search in the sections suggested above.

However, I would make a plea that there is a lot more to Spain and Portugal than the Costas and the Algarve. We've spent over 10 days so far on this trip in Galicia and have only scratched the surface. We haven't time to see Northern Portugal, the Mihno region, which was on the To Do list but we dawdled too long in Spain.

Nothing wrong with the sun of course, that is where we are heading now, but via Salamanca and Cordoba.

You can find an account of the trip so far in the Spanish section but I would strongly recommend the campercontact app, we have used it almost exclusively, backed up by the All the Aires book for a second opinion on places.

5. Baycott

Baycott Funster

Hi Gin Palace and welcome
    @TerryL gave good advice re Continental Travel.
    If you become a full member (it will be the best £10 you spend) you can ask as many questions as you like (y)(y)
    BTW is that a FB Bolero you have? I have ordered the 684 and hope to take delivery next month. Would like to know how you find it.

6. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

7. Bobndebs McKay

Bobndebs McKay

Hi Devon, I have been trying to find Campercontact App on my I Pad and it doesn't come up, is that the correct name for it please as I would dearly love to download it or another similar App.
    Many thanks (y)

8. gibbon

gibbon Read Only Funster

Don't worry too much about tolls, if your in no particular hurry they're easy to avoid & you get to do a little more sight seeing.
    We just used the easy toll just the once to enter Portugal & it cost about £7 in total. Very simple system, but as I've already said, you don't have to use the tolls.
    Have a great adventure :D

PS. If you get the chance have a look at Marvao, really pretty & a free aire with stunning views across to Spain:giggle:

9. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

You are right @Bobndebs McKay it takes some finding, follow the link from their web site.
    http://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Search for "NKC" and you should find it, called something like All Motorhome Parking, but NKC, short for Netherlands Kamping Club is quicker.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Verdant

Verdant Read Only Funster

Campercontact seems to be an iPhone only app. To find it on your iPad, just change the setting at top left of the screen from "iPad only" to "iPhone only" before you search. The app is called "All Motorhome Parkings - Campercontact", by NKC. It should still work fine on an iPad, but it's designed for a smaller screen.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bobndebs McKay

Bobndebs McKay

Thanks gents, all sorted!!

• Like Like x 1