ladyfelsham

Free Member
Mar 7, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi everyone, really looking forward to reading all your threads and soaking up all your helpful advice. Spent many years on caravanning holidays as a kid and hope to buy the right motorhome for me in a few years and start doing a few short European trips to practice for early retirement and six month trips away.

I know what I do want - an automatic, like the look of the Hymers, a fixed double bed - but beyond that, I haven't a clue and am very much a newbie in my ignorance, so please do post any suggestions you might have :Smile:

Am hoping to get to Peterborough to have a good look of the interiors - but a couple of quick questions - do I buy new or do I buy secondhand and fit it out how I want it? And are all the interiors fitted out in wood? I love white walls (white everything, really) - the French Noti vans look nice (well, bits of them) but are apparently very £££.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome best thing you have done so far is join here before buying the mh feel free to ask any questions you have might not get a sensible answer :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I would recommend buying 2nd hand, especially for a first van as it often takes 3 or more vans before you really know what you want as opposed to what you think you want. Automatics are a bit thin on the ground though so restricts your choice somewhat.

:welcomefunster:

We don't get many of the upper crust on here :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to Fun, the best place to find out about the ins and outs of motorhomeing, I would not buy new, unless you are prepared to loose quite a lot of money through buying a vehicle that does not suit you, second hand and some one else has taken the hit.
Then when you find out what you want, then if you want to go down the new route well and good, but whatever you choose, enjoy looking and putting your plans into practice.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
welcome from us also

Welcome to the forum... I agree second hand to start with until what you really feel about owning a certain type of motorhome.. the amount of money you have will dictate a lot about the make and model you buy.. Automatics are not easy to find except in American RV (normal in those).. But going to a show like Peterborough will give you a chance to see what there is about and get some idea of prices etc.,

Anyway, do not rush in to anything.. took me 18 months to find this motorhome (RV) I have now, and I have owned them for best part of 25 years.. still takes ages to find the right vehicle.

Bob, Sue & Ezzie the St Bernard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Welcome to Fun, not sure what you mean about white interiors as all vans are completely finished and furnished as such.

Automatics are rare but I have three in stock and we are just round the M25 and down the A21 from London and you are welcome to visit and pick Andy, Mark or Gills (if your prefer a female toi talk to) brains

Peter

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Hi.
Read everything you can get your hands on, especially reviews, take time to view as many motorhomes as possible, shows are good for that. Some newer vans do have bright interiors they're certainly not all wood finish. With care it is possible to get the right van at the first attempt. I'd never owned an automatic car prior to ordering the motorhome but opted for the Fiat Comfortmatic gearbox in view of the long distances I was expecting to drive, that was definitely the right decision for me, it is an absolute dream to drive. Good luck and enjoy the search.
Geoff.:welcome:

OP
OP
L

ladyfelsham

Free Member
Mar 7, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Many thanks all for your kind and helpful posts.

It will be very exciting being on the hunt for the right automatic for me (auto because I've never really made friends with a clutch :whatthe:).

And secondhand does sound the way to go :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back