New Zealand / UK Camper Exchange

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Tincataylor, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

We would like to do an extended tour of New Zealand some time in the next few years and we are exploring some of the options to do so on a limited budget. We do not think we like the risks involved with purchasing a new camper in the UK and exporting it to NZ (no VAT) and then selling it after our trip to cover all / some of the expense. I know some have done this but we do not like the ideal of having £40K+ tied up in a venture without a certain outcome.
    We then looked at just flying out, hiring a camper, and flying home. This is probably the easiest option but camper hire for an extended trip starts to get rather costly.
    It then occurred to us that there must be NZ motor homers who want to explore the UK as well, so could it be feasible to look at doing a motor home swap for the duration of each parties tour. Normally the idea of letting a stranger use our van would fill us with dread, but being used by an experienced motor homer should reduce the risk. We would be interested to hear opinions from other Funsters on this idea.

The Tincas

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

The pitfalls and Insurance implication make it an absolute non starter IMO

• Like Like x 1
  4. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

You could buy a car and a caravan then sell at the end of your travels.

• Like Like x 1
  5. campa cola

campa cola Funster

It's probably a bit like renting your property out, luck of the draw! I think very few people would treat your motorhome exactly like you would like and for that reason I personally wouldn't do it. I would stipulate no European (other than UK and Ireland Dutch and Scandinavian) driver is to be allowed anywhere near my vehicle!

6. richr

richr Funster

Fly drive cheaper camper or MoHo would be around £5k plus your expenses for around 10 weeks.
    You can get smaller cheaper vans, the one we have is a 4 berth as I can't abide being squashed up.
    Depends when you go as well.
    Get a self contained and join NZMCA

• Like Like x 1