New Vehicle / New Owners (1 Viewer)

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
Hi

We are soon to get our first Motorhome, Compass Avantgarde 200, Peugeot Boxer 2ltr Diesel. Its in very good condition, first registered Jan 2006 on a '55' plate, and about 6500 miles on the clock. layout is the 'U' shaped back end lounge, and it is standard fitted, but we are having an electric step fitted and an upgrade of the TV aeriel from the standard S315 to a S530/10. It has got the Fiamma bike rack, tow bar, and awning fitted as well.

We will be doing a good mileage each year, as my partner is from Denmark, so I can see us doing atleast 2 trips each year there and back (2000 + mile round trip) and we also intend to do a lot of touring as well.

I would much value the thoughts of you all in suggesting to me what you feel are 'essential' additions....................in my own mind I am like a child knowing he is about to get a new toy, and therefore have got a list a mile long of things I would like to get, but I know I can't afford all of them at once.

My thoughts are as followes:

Sat Nav.
Reversing Cameras.
Rear Ladder.
Roof Rack.
Engine Upgrade (remapping). Who has had this done and is it of value??
Cruise Control.
Fog Lights.
etc etc etc

I would be very grateful for any advice and input, because with the International Motorhome and Caravan Show comeing up at the NEC, I will be aiming to solve some of the purchases then.

Happy Travels

Adge

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
:welcome:

Hi and welcome to motorhome fun, the simple thing to do id to see what you need as you go on, (first thing needed is a corkscrew and a bottle of wine!) I have a top box with ladder but have not really used it much, we have a reversing camera but when I used my brothers longer auto trail I used her in doors at the back, made no differance at all, sometimes we want without realizing what is needed, take for example the £50 windbreak I bought for ours it is a matching colour has windows looks great but is crap as a windbreak and on our last trip I bought one from the beach for a tenner which works perfect so my advice would be take it easy and weigh up what is essential as you go, there is no hurry!

I do believe the 2lt engine is a little under powered but unfortunatly I do not know about mapping but I would advise on packing as light as you can to help give that bit extra

Hope this helps and welcome again:wine:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Save your money until you have had it for a couple of months and get used to the van.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my thoughts on this list.....

Sat Nav.
essential in my opinion for relaxed driving and reducing arguments.

Reversing Cameras.
worth having and can be used as a rearview mirror if the normal view is restricted.

Rear Ladder.
makes washing the roof easy (wish i had one)

Roof Rack.
just putting more weight high up where you dont want weight and a 'roof box' fixed to it will cause drag. if you need to put stuff outside your carrying to much kit.

Engine Upgrade (remapping).
probably yes on the 2ltr engine as they can be a little underpowered but tell your ins co or your insurance could be void.

Cruise Control.
relaxed driving but not essential.

Fog Lights.
not worth the cost and fitting hassle just to see a few more meters. slow down instead.

OP
OP
AdgeRas

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
Thanks Guys.

You are right about taking time to think, although I would like to try to get the 'essentials' at the NEC because maybe I will get a slightly better deal there.

The ladder is a thing I feel I need for keeping the roof clean, and I feel the issue of a 'top box' was a questionable problem for fuel econonmy and drive quality.

Keep the ideas comeing, and thanks again.

Adge

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Sat Nav.
Reversing Cameras.
Rear Ladder.
Roof Rack.
Engine Upgrade (remapping). Who has had this done and is it of value??
Cruise Control.
Fog Lights.

Sat Nav......what's wrong with a MK1 map people put too much trust in technology

Reversing Camera.... Oh Yes for those tight places but don't forget you have a passenger to help also!!

Rear Ladder....Yes just to get up and clean the roof!!

Roof Rack....Not really needed you'll just find more gear to stash up there and then your centre of gravity goes awry

Engine Remap...Why not but as others have said tell the insurance chaps

Cruise Control...When I was an Hgv driver I had a lovely Volvo FH12 all singing all dancing every thing you could want all the bells and whistles associated with a top o' the range truck..the cruise control first time I used it it wouldn't come off had a very narrow escape of nearly a***e ending another truck at 55 MPH if you must have one so be it but always remember you drive the vehicle it does not drive you and I'll leave it at that!!

Fog Lights..No real need for them the lights on a M/H are good enough!!

Those are just my thoughts no doubt some others may disagree..??

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I would consider solar panels and possibly an extra liesure battery. But, as has been said by one who knows run it for a couple of months before buying anything other than essentials. :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hello Adge , other than the essential driver/ navigator lubrication (hic) a smattering of essential spares, fuses, bulbs, belts, as well as the other legal travelling bits depending on country, hi vis vests, triangles etc
have fun

Larry

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
How hard/costly is it to fit cruise control to a MH?

OP
OP
AdgeRas

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
The cost of Crusise Control varies, but so far I have been quoted about £350 fully fitted.

Adge

OP
OP
AdgeRas

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
It does vary in price, but not too sure what the 'variations' of which device you need is. Conrad Anderson have a good page on the subject.

Link Removed

Adge

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back