New Schauldt battery Booster (B2B?)on the way (1 Viewer)

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Original page in German, translated by Google, reportedly costs €150

Link Removed

Application with residential battery in a mobile home or caravan

*** NEW! ***
WA 121525 for Reisemobile
The booster WA121525 used to custom charging
Link Removed​
of 6-cell 12V lead acid, sealed lead acid AGM and lithium batteries in motorhomes while driving irrespective of the alternator voltage.

On vehicles with alternators with energy-saving charging strategies (Euro 6), the use of a booster is absolutely necessary since the charging voltage of the alternator can vary considerably (12.6 - 15.0V).

In conventional alternators the living area battery charge by applying the
likewise improved Boosters WA121525. For AGM batteries which require a charging voltage of 14.7V or more, the use of a booster is indispensable.

The booster is a WA121525 clocked up / down converter, the fluctuating
balances alternator voltage and a high charging current provides.
Optionally a temperature sensor can be connected.

• Charging characteristics for lead acid, lead gel, AGM and lithium batteries
  • Temperature compensated charge with optional temperature sensor
  • Charging current typ. 25A, short-term 30A
  • Charge voltage up to 14.7V (with temperature sensor up to 15.1V) depending on the battery type
  • Charging characteristic IU0U
Available from January 2017

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Just read this post .................. has anyone fitted one? I'm wondering how it might compare to say:

Sterling 'Pro Batt Ultra' Battery-To-Battery Charger - 12V/12V 30A

?

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I have been looking with interest at a similar offering from Votronic, about £150, and I do rate their equipment highly. Seems to be a fairly easy install, particularly if you have a Sevel van with the convertor socket containing a D+ takeoff in the B-pillar.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• Charging-Converter.pdf
    505.2 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
From what I can gather, These seem to be principally aimed at MH based on the euro6 Mercedes chassis and iveco? Chassis - as they have smart alternators and regenerative braking systems that mean the batteries won't get a full charge when driving as the alternators disconnect / reduce charging.
The euro6 Seval MH (at least the Fiat chassis) don't have smart alternators, so don't require the charge booster.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The Votronic 1212-45 one I fitted to my Mercedes Hymer works really well. It has specific settings for working with Schaudt EBL and wiring instructions to match. Not only does it overcome the smart alternator issue but has a charging profile that protects and fully charges my leisure battery. Surprised to hear that the Fiat chassis doesn’t have a smart alternator.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
They're not intelligent alternator only chargers. They just contain the facility to sense and work with vehicles fitted with intelligent alternators. Really, anyone producing a new B2B charger that doesn't work with them is missing a trick.

Intelligent alternators are fitted to Ducatos with stop/start systems, but motorhome manufacturers tend to prefer to not have that option.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hymer have been fitting the schaudt unit to Merc based conversions for a couple of years.
Fiat know their market and Ductato's supplied for conversion have a standard alternator.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I have been looking with interest at a similar offering from Votronic, about £150, and I do rate their equipment highly. Seems to be a fairly easy install, particularly if you have a Sevel van with the convertor socket containing a D+ takeoff in the B-pillar.
sterling b2b doesnt need a d+ so easyier to fit

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Eh? I'm really confused now :eek:

So will I benefit from fittting a B2B? I thought the issue with Euro 5 and 6 engines was that the alternator reduces its output fairly quickly hence reduced charging of the leisure batteries?

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User

I like the idea of that! So how exactly does the Sterling B2B connect to the EBL 30?

The reason I ask is that I don't want to find I order one and then 'sit' on it for ages because it's too tricky to fit :confused:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Latest ones have the option to ignition switch or use D+ essential if you have solar with your starter battery being charged by solar. If you don't the B2B will constantly cycle.

There will be a Schaudt relay box that does the D+ switching also you can tap into the D+ connection on the EBL.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Fiats don't have a smart alternator when used for convertions. As I said on the other thread the Hymer will give you a decent rate of charge. If you do go for a B2B my choice would be the Votronic.
I like the idea of that! So how exactly does the Sterling B2B connect to the EBL 30?

The reason I ask is that I don't want to find I order one and then 'sit' on it for ages because it's too tricky to fit :confused:
You just connect via the terminals at the rear of the EBL. remove the starter battery connection and connect to the input of the B2B and connect the output to the starter battery terminal of the EBL.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Fiats don't have a smart alternator when used for convertions. As I said on the other thread the Hymer will give you a decent rate of charge. If you do go for a B2B my choice would be the Votronic.

You just connect via the terminals at the rear of the EBL. remove the starter battery connection and connect to the input of the B2B and connect the output to the starter battery terminal of the EBL.

Lenny, this sounds good. So if I am to understand you correctly the Votronic simply goes 'inline' ........... starter battery red into Votronic ...................... then out to the EBL 30 red on the back of the unit?

Nor does the Votronic, but both will perform far better if you use it!!!

Deneb, what would be the difference? and would this involve running a wire from the alternator to the Votronic? then where does it go?

Thanks guys, all this is actually helping me despite how it may look :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Deneb, what would be the difference? and would this involve running a wire from the alternator to the Votronic? then where does it go?

Thanks guys, all this is actually helping me despite how it may look :)

Without the D+ signal the charger needs to see a much higher voltage at the starter battery before it will start charging the leisure batteries, and it will cut out much sooner if the voltage drops. With the D+ signal it will put a charge into the leisure batteries for more of the time. It will also prevent the charger cycling unintentionally if it sees an increased voltage at the starter battery due to solar input or starter battery charging.

I think from the posts above you have a Schaudt EBL in your van. I have no knowledge of the EBL, but @Lenny HB has indicated that you can take the D+ signal from the EBL so should be straightforward.

I don't have an EBL in my van, but the D+ signal is available at the converter socket behind the B-pillar next to the driver's seat on Sevel vans built for conversion. I can take it from there, as it's right next to the location of my batteries and where I intend to fit the charger. Quite likely on your van the D+ signal at the EBL is derived from the converter socket connection. The purpose of the converter socket is to save motorhome and custom vehicle builders from having to run wiring all the way through to the front of the vehicle and/or from making alterations to the original factory wiring on the base vehicle electrical systems.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Like this? (connection method no 2)

https://www.votronic.de/images/Manuals/04. B2B Chargers Booster/3324_e.pdf

So would I need to connect the Voltronic out black to the black on the leisure battery?

Take care with wire colours, black is sometimes negative but not always. On my EBL29 the leisure battery positive connection was black (marked schwarz) and the negative brown (marked braun).

The wiring connection 2 is how I connected my 1212-45 and all appears to be working well.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Without the d+ Connection I find it difficult to understand how the charger overcomes the smart alternator issues. If it is only triggered by voltage it is still going to cut out as soon as the engine battery is charged and the alternator drops to a maintenance voltage, which with a big alternator and good engine battery can be pretty quick.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Without the d+ Connection I find it difficult to understand how the charger overcomes the smart alternator issues. If it is only triggered by voltage it is still going to cut out as soon as the engine battery is charged and the alternator drops to a maintenance voltage, which with a big alternator and good engine battery can be pretty quick.
I wondered about that, however Voltronic do bang their drum about how efficient their B2B is

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I don't have an EBL in my van, but the D+ signal is available at the converter socket behind the B-pillar next to the driver's seat on Sevel vans built for conversion. I can take it from there, as it's right next to the location of my batteries and where I intend to fit the charger. Quite likely on your van the D+ signal at the EBL is derived from the converter socket connection. The purpose of the converter socket is to save motorhome and custom vehicle builders from having to run wiring all the way through to the front of the vehicle and/or from making alterations to the original factory wiring on the base vehicle electrical systems.

Hmm, so I need to establish if the D+ is already connected to my EBL 30. If not, how do I find it on the B pillar? I assume I will need to remove the plastic cover?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hmm, so I need to establish if the D+ is already connected to my EBL 30. If not, how do I find it on the B pillar? I assume I will need to remove the plastic cover?
Hmm, so I need to establish if the D+ is already connected to my EBL 30.
Block 2, Pin 3.

Another way of doing it which IMO is better if using the Sterling B2B is to fit a 100 amp relay in line with the output of the B2B and switch that via the D+ or an ignition feed.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Eh? I'm really confused now :eek:

So will I benefit from fittting a B2B? I thought the issue with Euro 5 and 6 engines was that the alternator reduces its output fairly quickly hence reduced charging of the leisure batteries?
As I said on the other thread Fiat don't use a smart alternator on vans being converted to campers.

With hymer's wiring you probably don't need a B2B as you get a good charge rate. See how things go first.

I fitted one but only because I picked up the latest model only a few months old for £130. It's a Sterling one had a few minor problems, I have spoken to Sterling and they have been very helpful just not had time to sort it as I don't really need it.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I fitted one but only because I picked up the latest model only a few months old for £130. It's a Sterling one had a few minor problems, I have spoken to Sterling and they have been very helpful just not had time to sort it as I don't really need it.
... so a white elephant then Lenny ... seduced by a cheap price! :LOL:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
... so a white elephant then Lenny ... seduced by a cheap price! :LOL:
The unit works but doesn't appear to like Hymer electrics will be OK if I fit a relay in the output, several other Funsters bought them from the same guy. Got more important things to do at the moment like fit the MiMo aerial.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The unit works but doesn't appear to like Hymer electrics will be OK if I fit a relay in the output, got more important things to do at the moment like fit the MiMo aerial.
I've got my 4G 'puck' aerial to fit when the connectors arrive, not going to do it until I can test it first though.

Why did you buy the B2B if you don't really NEED it??? :D

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@Lenny HB Thanks Lenny,

I had wondered about that or Block 1 Pin 2 (D+ Output)?

Anyroad up, I am really confused now :confused: If the van does not have 'smart alternator' then I agree, what benefit will a B2B give me?

As it happens (re my other solar thread that you and @Minxy Girl have kindly helped me with) I am now trying to 'reign in' my impatience and desires (fears haha?) and go one step at a time :)

My current plan is:

1. Fit extra battery (agree about the gels but maybe just another AGM for now as the other one is brand new)

2. Fit B2B to help with short term power improvement (but now looks like maybe not yet??)

3. Fit Solar in a few weeks time but prob going to go with rigid panels on simple frame bonded to raising roof)

I can't believe all the stress this is giving me. In the last two days at home I have fitted a new built in oven, a new cooker hood and a new bath panel (really really fiddley and time consumimg!) ....... you'd think an extra van battery and a B2B (?) would be a doddle :eek:

Help! Please help me save myself from myself! I am probably thinking all this through just a little TOO much

Oh well, fitting the refillable gas this arvo, how difficult can that be :rolleyes:

Cheers

Grahame

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back