New regs for over 3.5 tonnes..Greater London

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by stevec, Sep 1, 2015.

1. stevec

stevec Funster

Will these new regulations affect motorhomes over 3500kgs? Extra mirrors and sideguards to protect cyclists. Starts today.

2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Mirrors might but side guards won't I don't think. Side guard are to try and stop cyclists etc from entering the gap between wheels on an LGV, MoHo's are too near the ground for that as are Sprinter type vans that are rated over 3500kgs.

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mel

Mel Funster

the first thing my Father taught me about Cycling/motorcycling was self preservation.
    I see far too often people who put themselves in stupid possisions.
    Maybe its time for cycle licences.
    I am not anti cycling just anti stupid cycling

• Like Like x 7
  5. stevec

stevec Funster

Thanks Paul, some articles say "lorries" some say "vehicles". It wouldn't affect me anyway as I'm under 3.5 tonnes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I'm with Mel on this, for a cyclist to be trapped under a LGV that's turning left said cyclist must have put themselves in that position in the first place,I just don't understand why it always seems to be the drivers fault.
    Now if the cyclist was there first then the driver should pull up behind it.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

I've just seen the BBC demonstrate how a cyclist approx 8 foot to the left of a lorry was not visible to the driver without the new type of mirrors. Drivers and cyclists need more information about this.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DABurleigh

DABurleigh Funster

I've looked into the law on this and if we are category M1, we are exempt. If we are N2, we're included. The difference is whether we carry "goods". It's confusing. Most new motorhomes over 3.5 tonnes are classed P/HGV, which implies goods and N2. And recall the confusion over MOT classes as to whether you leave the garage locked or unlocked and therefore the tester's discretion? Motoring law in Britain is as clear as mud :-(

And I hope more cities don't get like London. I'm already confused over Congestion Charge and Low Emission Charge before this new one :-(

Dave

• Like Like x 3
  9. Abacist

Abacist Funster

I daresay a lot of the problems are self inflicted by vulnerable people not understanding the risks posed by large vehicles.

I towed a boat up to the start of the London river race one year. I then had to tow the empty car transporter type trailer back through London to the finish.

I had pedestrians stepping through the trailer to cross the road and bikes getting between the trailer wheels and the back of the car and motorbikes.

No doubt it would have been my fault if any of them had been killed!

Lunatics with a death wish!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

Private motorhomes cannot be classed as goods vehicles which the regulations apply to. These are the C&U regs for goods vehicles.
    As for goods in the garage, if these are personal and not for sale then they do not count.

11. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

I also remember a while back a VOSA /DVSA statement once that items in a motor home should only be those required for day to day living ie food clothes etc. Motorbikes /bicycles are classified as goods although they are not for sale they are not required for day to day living. Hence the confusion with some MOT testers stating that they could not do a class 4 test on a loaded vehicle and wanting to do a class 7 test instead - unless the garage was emptied.

Not heard of that problem lately though - maybe common sense occurred

12. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I'm not pro- or anti- cyclist and the antics of some of them annoy me as much as they do the next man BUT .......... large vehicles with a blind spot should not IMO be on the road. With both simple (mirrors) and complex (cameras or sensors) technology available to obviate the problem there should be no 'blind spot' excuses.

13. buttons

buttons Funster

Have you really given this some thought time..............:censored:

14. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Never in a million years which is why trucks and the like need proper mirrors/cameras fitted so they can check things are clear before moving off. An advanced stop line does put cyclists ahead of vehicles but they are hardly universal.

15. Mel

Mel Funster

No I was bored :whistle:

16. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Funster

It only affects vehicles exempt from the normal hgv regs about having certain mirrors and side guards, ie construction vehicles. It's to protect cyclists.

All other hgv's have them as standard.

I'm a Boris fan but encouraging thousands of people to cycle in London was an act of lunacy.

I have no prejudice against cyclists, my hatred of them is born from 20 years experience of trying to avoid them in my truck.

Driving an HGV nowadays you very quickly learn to assume there is an idiot on a bike sat in your blindspot and when stuck in slow moving traffic to almost scrape your near side tyres down the curb to stop them coming up your near side.

As for lights or high viz clothing, uhh I give up, they will quite happily spend God know how much on a helmet camera to record all the cars cutting them up but it doesn't occur to them that their money is better spent ON SOME BlOODY LIGHTS!

And relax....

• Like Like x 4
  17. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

we went to heathrow to pick up our son from 5 month south america trip yesterday...Stuck in hours of London traffic, did not see one lorry with anything i could recognise as being any different:(

18. Spud

Spud Funster

The ones with no hi-vis, lights or helmet are difficult to see on a lorry when stuck between the rear axels. (n)
    Spud

• Like Like x 3
  19. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

And ALL cars are classed PLG....private light GOODS. Does that imply all cars are goods vehicles too ?

ALL vehicles over 3500kg are classed as private heavy goods, not just most.
    Whether they are correctly registered as such is another matter.

20. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

"every vehicle in London over 3.5 tonnes – a disproportionate cause of cyclist and pedestrian deaths - to be fitted with sideguards to protect cyclists from being dragged under the wheels. It will also require them to be fitted with mirrors giving the driver a better view of cyclists and pedestrians around their vehicles."

as I said never saw one with grills