New on site.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Bushtrekker, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Bushtrekker

Bushtrekker Read Only Funster

Hi some years ago I owned a demountable for about a year, but may be retiring soon, so looking to get something a bit bigger. I'd like to ask the advice of other members who have been around for a bit.

I need something which is big enough to live in for longer periods, but it also needs to be reasonably economical as I may be using it as a mobile office as if my plans come off, working in different areas intermittently for periods of up to a week.

My budget won't be enormous, probably up to about £8,000, but I drive a Landrover Discovery, so 30MPG is normal for me. I've looked at Hymers, but am not fixed on any particular brand, so my main concern is which older motorhomes have a good reputation for build quality, economy and relliability, all suggestions welcomed.

2. Gran & Rog

Gran & Rog Funster

Hello Welcome to Fun

3. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello and welcome to Motorhome fun, I am sure some one will be along later with some idea's for you.:welcomefunster:

4. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

HI and welcome:thumb::thumb:

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Might not suit you but the above combination will get you quite luxurious space if you can live with being a caravan owner.

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome to the fun. I think you may well be a bit optimistic re fuel consumption 17 - 25 would be more like the norm, and half that if you opt for a large american RV. some if the early Autotrails on a merc chassis are holding up very well indeed and well worth a look as are any of the Hymers but for £8k you may be hard pushed to find one, they are out there though. Tabbart also worth a look as are any of the German built vans.mid 80's onwards. Some still have very low milages on them.

7. Bushtrekker

Bushtrekker Read Only Funster

Thanks for the welcome.

I seem to remember the demountable did about 24, although a friend of mine had a Renault which was giving 34 on a run according to the records she kept at the time. If I get the work I'm after I'll be trying to group visits into areas, so might not need to drive too far once I'm there. We also both have bus passes:BigGrin: