New motorhome buyer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by lesleyAprice, Mar 2, 2011.

1. lesleyAprice

lesleyAprice Read Only Funster

My husband and I (no royal connection!) are considering purchasing a motorhome. We are looking at an Autocruise Magellan and also an Elddis Autoquest 140. Anybody have any experience of either. All opinions will be gratefully received. :Smile:

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Lesley, welcome to the fun. I do not have experience of those particular motorhomes but I am sure someone here has. Meanwhile, have you seen this? Motorhome Buyers Guide It comes highly reccomended:thumb::Smile:

3. Terry

Terry Funster

Cannot help with your choice, but just to say Hi and welcome :thumb: Sure you will enjoy whatever you go for - personal choice would be the Autocruise, not keen on overhead/ cab beds
    terry

4. motorhomewave

motorhomewave Funster

Hi,
    We have an Elddis Sunstyle 120 which is a touch shorter than the 140 but I think a similar floor plan. Had they had a 140 when we purchased ours in 2009 we would have bought it, the extra 18 inches gives more lounge space and is not so cramped for two adults. We haven't found too much to complain about, we have had to lay extra foam layers under the bed area for more comfort. The water tank is fairly small and the need to fill up on long trips can be a bit of a challenge in France in the middle of winter. It's good value for money if the cost is an issue. Good luck whatever you go for.

5. Dalek

Dalek Read Only Funster

Hi and Welcome

Have you been to Simpsons,Greentrees or Becks to see what they have in stock?

Dale

6. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

We also would like to say welcome

Welcome to the forum..

You are bound to find someone who can help you with any questions you have.

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard:thumb:

7. WillH

WillH Funster

Hi and welcome to the forum. On the subject of motorhome choice I have three words of guidance, layout, layout, layout.

Rgds
    Bill

8. lesleyAprice

lesleyAprice Read Only Funster

Motorhome choice

Thank you for all your comments. I think we will go for the Autocruise. The layout suits us perfectly. Hoping to see one on Saturday. Very excited.:BigGrin:

9. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

Don't discount the Elddis they are a cracking starter van we had one when we first went fulltiming we actually had the Elddis Autoquest 140 4 berth a 2007 model...I think they have been superseded by the 145 as the 140 is now a 2 berth model try their website for the current model list

We found that the water tank was a tad small at only 45 litres so we carried 10 litres extra in another container..we did Spain in 2009 for 3 months in ours and never experienced any living problems with it it had a huge U-shaped lounge which converted into a massive bed nearly 7ft square..there is ample storage in the vans shower/toilet is reasonable..the overhead bunk we used for storing our bedding and various smaller lighter items

When we changed our Elddis we actually changed it for an Autocruise Startrail...Have you looked at the Swift Escape range of vans www.britishescape.co.uk these too are good value entry level vans

10. Autoquest

Autoquest Read Only Funster

I have a 115 but should have bought the 140 - Biggest bed in the business... Don't worry about the water, we can carry 45 litres in the tank, 20 in a jerry can and 3*5litres for drinking. Nice van, the new low profile 145 is even nicer:thumb:

11. pendy

pendy Read Only Funster

we have the 140

Cracking van, done France in it,bed massive and all me and the missus need, to be perfectly honest,if we never had the grandkids we would never change.

12. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi :welcome: to motorhome fun. :thumb:
    Its a lot of money you will be spending, have a look at lots of vans.
    Do lot's of google on various makes for problems.
    Go to the Motorhome Shows :BigGrin: Newarks next then Peterborough.
    Don't rule our vans made in Germany :Wink: or France :Smile:
    If you want to use it all year, look into how winterised it is, :Smile: are the tanks outside and freeze and how well insulated it is.
    If you look at over cab beds, get up there and try it, see how much room you have.:Smile:

I see your in East Anglia, we have a meet here: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/ralli...meet-white-horse-ph-tattingstone-suffolk.html

Your welcome to come along for a chat and advice, :Wink: you might even get Coffee. :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Most people buy the wrong first van. :Doh: Bob.

13. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi and welcome

I agree with the rest of the post make sure you have a good look around go and sit in the mh take a flask of tea. Make the beds up and try lying on them for a while you might feel embarrassed but not half as embarrassed as taken the mh back in a cpl of months as it doesnt meet your needs.

On the Elddis i have the 130 on a 06 it is not a fancy van but has everything you need we have had ours 3 years now and been all over with it and love it we will not be changing it untill Sophie has stopped holidaying with us.

If you have any questions about the Elddis please feel free to ask not same model but controls and built same.

Gerry

14. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I've got a new Autoquest 120, I got it because I believed under the 6mtr rule it was cheaper to ferry across to europe, now I find I will be doing most of my trips in this country so I wish I had gone for the 140 as stated previously in this thread, 18" extra makes an aweful lot of difference on the internal dimensions of the rear lounge. As far as the Autoquest brand goes, for the price it is very well equipped.