NEW MoT TEST DPF REGS MAY 2017 (1 Viewer)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Changes are to be made to the MOT as part of a revised Roadworthiness Directive which comes into force from May 2017 and new technology is being developed to detect DPF removal.

In a statement the Department for Transport (DfT) said: “Alternative methods of detecting the presence of particulate filters are under development, we are examining their suitability for a MoT testing environment

The government investigation followed urgent calls for reform with claims that the current MOT is failing to identify many cases of DPF removal because it only includes a ‘visual inspection’ of the hardware, which can be welded back together.

It is an offence, under the Road Vehicles Regulations to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet.

The DfT said: “Removal of a DPF will almost invariably result in a contravention of the Regulations, making the vehicle illegal to use on the road.

Penalties are £1,000 for a car and £2,500 for a van.

“The legislation makes the owner or user of the vehicle primarily responsible for its condition.

“Whether the person who had removed the DPF, or had offered to remove it, had also committed an offence would be a matter for the courts to decide.”

Speaking earlier this year, Dave Garratt, chief executive at the Garage Equipment Association (GEA), said: “[DPF removal] has been going on for a long time and it is probably getting progressively worse.

“The biggest hole in the MOT is that they don’t really check it.
Hopefully with introduction of new testing equipment this loophole will be closed for good
G

Les

Apr 18, 2008
Seaford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
DPF ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It will be expensive for sure, tis you who had better start saving as the cost will be passed on,
but very simple Brian,so long as I get as much understanding from it as you do a Multi Meter, and if there is magic smoke in it so much the better all should be well;)
Probably a OBD11 plug in to see it working within limits if its not there it will struggle to see it:clap2:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
its great this going green we get light bulbs that take 5 mins to warm up, toilets that have to be flushed twice and technology on vehicles that make vehicles beyond economic repair in very few years where the only way to fix is to remove said item

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
its great this going green we get light bulbs that take 5 mins to warm up, toilets that have to be flushed twice and technology on vehicles that make vehicles beyond economic repair in very few years where the only way to fix is to remove said item

Exactly. "Progress" is the work you are looking for.

Though right now we do seem to be heading in the right direction with LED 240v lamps, at long last.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
and this adding to the problems of those who de-cat (remove the catalytic converter) the exhaust pipe.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Didn't understand any of this.... can you just say yes or no .. do I have to do anything?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Probably a OBD11 plug in to see it working within limits if its not there it will struggle to see it:clap2:
Then of course, someone will come up with an ECU map which fools OBD into thinking it IS still there.
I think VOSA are on a road to nowhere.
There will always be someone who is one step ahead of them.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I can see, in the near future, to sell a vehicle it MUST have a new MOT.
The same criteria has been in use in South Africa for years.....and that's the ONLY time in the vehicles lifetime that it must legally have an MOT.
Although, You will be prosecuted for using an unroadworthy vehicle if in an accident and faults are found.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Didn't understand any of this.... can you just say yes or no .. do I have to do anything?
I don't think yours has one Joy , so you wouldn't have to do anything.
Then of course, someone will come up with an ECU map which fools OBD into thinking it IS still there.
Exactly.
Or they'll do what the Germans do for the TüV, remove anything not legal, & refit after. Same as goes on here with non-homologated (Not registered on log book) items. Even done it myself.

How would a buyer of a secondhand vehicle know if the guts had been removed ?
They wouldn't.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I think a big improvement or addition to MOT would be a limit on exhaust sound,,should be a max decibel rate,,Would take most of the boy(and middle age) races off the road,,After all noise is pollution,, BUSBY,,,

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
How would a buyer of a secondhand vehicle know if the guts had been removed ?
The MoT tester will tell him:Eeek:

I think a big improvement or addition to MOT would be a limit on exhaust sound,,should be a max decibel rate,,Would take most of the boy(and middle age) races off the road,,After all noise is pollution,, BUSBY,,,
There already is, it depends on the opinion of the tester, at the time of test Ive failed two in a lifetime they cant give us a Db figure as it would vary location by location

Since the recent VWE scandle electronic alone tested wont be exceptable
they are talking actual gas measurement well as electronic so it will need to be clever software to beat an analiser

No, Females will be exempt :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back