New M/H's for entertaining or living in?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by olley, Mar 29, 2011.

1. olley

olley Funster

Hi wandering around the show and looking at new RV's and Eurovans, and I was struck by how the really expensive ones seemed to be more about entertaining with large lounges, and less about actually living in them, with limited clothes storage.

Take the Burstner Elegance on offer at £97,000, the salesman had just come back from a holiday in one, and said he had fitted a wardrobe rail in the large garage at the rear, because of limited hanging space. It only sleeps four yet can seat perhaps 8 in comfort. A 36' twin slide RV had less hanging space than us in an RV 6' shorter, because of the large lounge and kitchen.

Is it just me, or don't others consider hanging space important?

Ian

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We've just gone from 5 full length wardrobes to the traditional half wardrobe above the boiler. :Eeek: But were coping:BigGrin:

But yes Olley, I know what you mean, some models are akin to yachts that are designed to sit in the harbour for entertaining, the berths and galley not functional for proper sea travel. Some larger Euro motorhomes have no payload left once the champagne and Pimms has been loaded:BigGrin:

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

will the high cost of fuel these days its very important, but no modern motorhome has sufficient drop.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

4. Dalek

Dalek Read Only Funster

We were at Waveney River Centre last weekend when ( 10pm ) someone drove in, in a brand new Burstner 1810 Elegance. It looked like a coach party arriving :BigGrin: and there were only a family of four. We thought it must be at least an 8 berth but it wasnt, looks can be deceiving.

Dale

5. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Could it be they are designed for sunnier climates where you are not expected to need much clothing...just shorts?

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Some of largest motorhomes on our roads (40ft American RV's) are designed just for two:Eek!:

7. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Missing it yet Jim?

So now you have Gobelin mega small, are you missing being a king the road with an RV?

Only ever had one eurobox and that was a Glendale on a Merc chassis.. One speed up or down hill..50mph... Flimsy built C class.. Ever since it has been RV's A class and now B class... So Jim what do you miss beside the hanging space.... What about having to use a porta poti?

Bob:Blush:

8. Terry

Terry Funster

Oye mines got a full 6 ft high wardrobe :thumb: but I have made a movable shelf that cuts it down to about 4 ft 6 ins :Doh::Rofl1::BigGrin:
    terry

9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

No Bob, never been king of the road anyway, strangely, as it happens, sat on the loo in the Hymer I have more space than I did in the RV, though the shower is a lot smaller, if I drop the soap there is no way I can pick it up, maybe if I lose a bit of weight:BigGrin:

I certainly do not miss filling the RV up. :BigGrin: Till now I had no idea what my tiny Hymer might return per gallon. I towed a trailer this weekend and was in a bit of a hurry, on the motorway I did break the speed limit by a considerable amount for a considerable distance, I guessed that my mpg would have dropped by a considerable amount too. However I was pleased to see that it was 29.5:BigGrin: Without the trailer and driving more efficiently who knows, I might get into Buttons MPG Club

Are you on a bet with someone to put the term "Euro Box" in every post:BigGrin:

10. slobadoberbob

No.. There is no bet on 'eurobox'

No honest Jim ( you can trust me I am a lawyer:Blush::Blush:) no bet.. Just a friendly term, like ice cream van.. I suspect we get called Yank rather than RV' but to keep typing European motorhome takes for ever.. So Eurobox is easier.. But certainly no bets with anyone Jim.

I hope you are not getting into the spitting contest with Buttons:Blush::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Must admit that is an impressive mileage.. But I value bending over in the shower.

Bob:thumb:

11. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I'm sure many lawyers do:BigGrin::Rofl1:

12. slobadoberbob

You made me smile

I have been feeling not well with a 24 hour bug.. But your response made me laugh..walked in to that one:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Bob:thumb:

13. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Funnily enough I had a "Buttons moment" over the weekend. I decided to drive sensibly (60 -65) and averaged 29 mpg. Normally I am down round the 22 mark so I was quite pleased.:thumb:

14. Jim

Jim Ringleader

When you think that fuel has risen by say 20 percent in the last 12 months if we can squeeze an extra 7 a gallon like you did there, we are quids in and having just as much fun:BigGrin::thumb:

Well we are as long as we don't factor in all the other price rises:Blush:

15. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

That's very true Jim. When I set off I had a 1/4 tank so I filled it up.

£86 later I was on my way:Eeek:

16. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I think Ian now your living in yours you suddenly find that storage is much tighter after living in a house. You'll adapt and know your'll have many cunning adaption plans:Wink:

17. W18BLA

W18BLA Funster

Our Rollerteam 707 (eurobox) lol has enough room for us with plenty of storage. We had 4 adults and 4 kids for tea in ours one evening it was lets say "remerable" and never again. But there is no way we can all get dressed at the same time lol :Rofl1:

18. olley

olley Funster

Hi John, the wife's got her own cunning plan, it involves a 40' trailer towed behind.:Doh:

Ian

19. Gromett

Gromett Funster

For this self build I decided to go without a wardrobe. It means that I can chuck the iron as well :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

As a fulltimer with limited space, a wardrobe is a totally unnecessary luxury unless you need shirts/trousers for work which I don't... :BigGrin:

Karl

20. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

What's a wardrobe.....?