New DVLA guidelines for medical professionals (1 Viewer)

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
I notice that this has just been published

and it may be of interest to those of you about to become involved in medicals to retain licence etc.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

and it may be of interest to those of you about to become involved in medicals to retain licence etc.

Thanks for posting this, have saved for reference. Particularly as it puts in writing what I have been told verbally that one may continue to drive until refused or doctor has advised against it. Doctor has said completely fit to drive so no problem there.
Just as well, as still waiting for medical decision for application put in early April 2016.!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Thanks for posting this, have saved for reference. Particularly as it puts in writing what I have been told verbally that one may continue to drive until refused or doctor has advised against it. Doctor has said completely fit to drive so no problem there.
Just as well, as still waiting for medical decision for application put in early April 2016.!
I am also waiting since April 2016 Reason given pressure of workload or in other words short staffed.

I was sent an email informing me that I could still drive if the doctor had said I was OK which he did.

Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990

I've just spent a few days in hospital and been reading the guidelines issued ...
The consultant who dealt with me was sympathetic... whilst Ive been told not to drive he clearly stated that I did not have to inform the dvla until all my test results were in,and in the event of nothing showing on the tests , I would be OK to start driving again without contacting the dvla...
I thought that was a good result because in my case the guidance would be for a 6 month loss of licence and be in the hands of the dvla medical department ,which I think would delay the re issue of a licence...
Andy..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
If you have been waiting since April 2016 it looks like they have lost it. However once you have a letter from them confirming the delay you may continue to drive until they tell you otherwise. Don't lose the letter. My HGV once lapsed for over a month on my first medical over 65. The last one ( yearly med and Eyesight now) came back in less than I week.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
@Riverbankannie @John & Joan I guess you are not too bothered if they delay as you can keep driving until they make a decision.
My application to continue my C1 is in and they have said I need a treadmill test and echo but I can keep driving until they have the results and make the decision. Not really bothered if they take a year or am I missing something?
Thanks for the post @mpdcymru really useful (y).

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
@Riverbankannie @John & Joan Not really bothered if they take a year or am I missing something?

Only that it makes it difficult to go abroad. Waving a piece of paper, in English, that says it's ok for you to drive is not likely to impress gun toting foreign officer plod. :)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
@Riverbankannie @John & Joan I guess you are not too bothered if they delay as you can keep driving until they make a decision.
My application to continue my C1 is in and they have said I need a treadmill test and echo but I can keep driving until they have the results and make the decision. Not really bothered if they take a year or am I missing something?
Yes, we are not relying on it ( the verbal advice) because a temporary photo licence was issued leaving off the C1. We needed something to take abroad last May. That was issued very quickly. However, then it does worry us that the advice that can drive C1 category until decision made is flawed. I wouldn't like to put it to the test. At present keeping Weight to 3500 by being careful and not uprating.
The old pink paper one became invalid on 70 th birthday so that could not be used in interim.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, we are not relying on it ( the verbal advice) because a temporary photo licence was issued leaving off the C1. We needed something to take abroad last May. That was issued very quickly. However, then it does worry us that the advice that can drive C1 category until decision made is flawed. I wouldn't like to put it to the test. At present keeping Weight to 3500 by being careful and not uprating.
The old pink paper one became invalid on 70 th birthday so that could not be used in interim.

DVLA phoned me to say that I would require the medical tests and said they would be sending a letter, which they have done. They then volunteered the information that as I had submitted a valid application which they were in the process of considering I could continue to drive. They did not mention a time limit and frankly it did not cross my mind to ask nor did I think ( @SuperMike ) about the implications of driving driving abroad. I need to think about that and maybe contact DVLA once I have had the medical tests. I wonder if anyone has experience of this as it is not possible to keep our van below 3.5t, in any event the paperwork would not tie up.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Our treadmill and echo tests were last August! Told all well no problems by the doctor (consultant), but still in queue for licence decision.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I haven't had to have any other test than the echocardiogram the doctor requested after the medical which came back "Satisfactory, no further action required". That was in April last year. DVLA did request a copy in June of the results (all returned by July) but nothing else. At the time the doctor said he didn't think it would affect my application, but as (he thought he had heard a murmur) he had to put it on the form. He also said he thought I was OK to drive.

@Dorset Diver This is the info about driving while an application is pending.

Under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act, which could allow you to continue driving while your licence is being renewed, as long as you are able to satisfy all of the following criteria:

DVLA is in receipt of a valid application, which is less than 1 year old
• you’ve held a GB/EU driving licence previously
you’re not currently revoked/refused for medical reasons
• you’re not currently disqualified by a court
• you were not disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1st June 2013
you drive under the conditions of the licence applied for (e.g. provisional categories/entitlements, where a provisional licence was held)
you would not be refused a licence for medical reasons

You can check the current medical standards of fitness to drive in our ‘Assessing Fitness to Drive’ guide for medical practitioners. Your GP or consultant will be able to help you if necessary.

Please note: When driving outside the UK, Section 88 may not be accepted. Before you travel, check with the country’s Licensing Authority for advice on driving there.

@Riverbankannie Our Hymer is 3500kg unladen 4600kg laden so I cannot keep below the B licence limit.

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I haven't had to have any other test than the echocardiogram the doctor requested after the medical which came back "Satisfactory, no further action required". That was in April last year. DVLA did request a copy in June of the results (all returned by July) but nothing else. At the time the doctor said he didn't think it would affect my application, but as (he thought he had heard a murmur) he had to put it on the form. He also said he thought I was OK to drive.

This is they info about driving while an application is pending.

Under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act, which could allow you to continue driving while your licence is being renewed, as long as you are able to satisfy all of the following criteria:

you drive under the conditions of the licence applied for (e.g. provisional categories/entitlements, where a provisional licence was held)

You can check the current medical standards of fitness to drive in our ‘Assessing Fitness to Drive’ guide for medical practitioners. Your GP or consultant will be able to help you if necessary.

Please note: When driving outside the UK, Section 88 may not be accepted. Before you travel, check with the country’s Licensing Authority for advice on driving there.
That's interesting, our application will not be less than 1year old for much longer!

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009

@Dorset Diver This is the info about driving while an application is pending.

@Riverbankannie Our Hymer is 3500kg unladen 4600kg laden so I cannot keep below the B licence limit.

@John & Joan many thanks for the info. That is what I understood from the documents I have recently seen and received. Had my echo last evening and was told, unofficially, that all was good. Currently waiting for an appointment for my Treadmill test. Fingers crossed (y).

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If anyone needs a decision urgently then please pm me as I have a contact within the DVLA who has the authority to look at such cases. Obviously only do this if it is urgent :)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If anyone needs a decision urgently then please pm me as I have a contact within the DVLA who has the authority to look at such cases. Obviously only do this if it is urgent :)
Thanks @Puddleduck I have your PM. I think it will be urgent very soon!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I was interested to read the 'Visual Field' regs. They talk about BINocular FOV and go on to say that where they require any further assessment thereof, several different tests may be applicable, one of which is a certain MONocular FOV test.

So - why on earth do all opticians always only do Monocular tests?

(I've always thought it was batty and because all opticians seem to do the old fashioned darken the room, look in all the different directions whilst they gaze into each eye with an opthalmoscope in turn to check for retinopathy or other conditions, even though I always have proper Retinal photographs done elsewhere every single year, just because I'm diabetic - I have great difficulty focusing properly for a while thereafter, esp with one eye covered up! Consequently, I've never driven to or from, wherever I'm getting my eyes tested and don't intend to!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back