LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
done similar, 4 previous vans all over 8 meters, swapped our Hymer 8.1 meter for not only a shorter 7.45 meter van but a coachbuilt to.

No regrets, love our Carthago c tourer. 7.5 meters and it seems to have opened up a whole new world and I actually enjoy driving again now. Not sure how long we will keep it, but hoping to stay in this size for a good while

OP
OP
DilltheDog
Apr 28, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2006
done similar, 4 previous vans all over 8 meters, swapped our Hymer 8.1 meter for not only a shorter 7.45 meter van but a coachbuilt to.

No regrets, love our Carthago c tourer. 7.5 meters and it seems to have opened up a whole new world and I actually enjoy driving again now. Not sure how long we will keep it, but hoping to stay in this size for a good while
A C Tourer was our first thought, and we were definitely tempted not to have an A class windscreen and mirrors! But really tempted by the small size of the comapctline, and still seem to have almost as much storage, especially without a drop down bed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been waiting 16 months for ours (I 141LE)will hopefully get it by May.
Which model have you got & is the new one with the 180 engine & 9 speed box?

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
But what do you do with all the junk out of the bigger van.
Our current one is only 7.5m & emptying it out at the moment. So far filled the spare space in the garage and the dinning room. Never knew we had so many clothes, piled up on the bedroom floor at the moment, plus all the shoes & walking boots that were in there. 😱
At least the Compactline has got much better & bigger underfloor storage than the Hymer.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
We love our Compactline though we are in the process of further downsizing to a Malibu Van. The only comment I would make about driving a Compactline is take care with the blind spot caused by the mirrors. It is easily lived with just be aware that visibility to the right at roundabouts and turnings can be obscured by the mirror and make sure you look round it.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We've had and 11m van, loads of 8.5s we've had 7's and 7.5's. One day many of you will finally see the light and make your way up to a 6/6.5m panel van. Pure MotorRoaming Joy. You know it makes sense :D
I’m nearly there👍😁😁

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
But what do you do with all the junk out of the bigger van.
Our current one is only 7.5m & emptying it out at the moment. So far filled the spare space in the garage and the dinning room. Never knew we had so many clothes, piled up on the bedroom floor at the moment, plus all the shoes & walking boots that were in there. 😱
At least the Compactline has got much better & bigger underfloor storage than the Hymer.
We emptied the kitchen stuff out!!
You could have filmed Ready Steady Cook in there 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🙄

OP
OP
DilltheDog
Apr 28, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2006
Been waiting 16 months for ours (I 141LE)will hopefully get it by May.
Which model have you got & is the new one with the 180 engine & 9 speed box?
Lenny, I meant new to us rather than new. It’s a 143, with comfortmatic and a 150bhp engine. I’ve had comfortmatics for years so really don’t know any difference, and have never had a problem with them.

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
We emptied out our 7m coach built and disposed of all the “just in case” items we had not used in 17 years. Cutlery etc. for 4 when there are only 2 of us, enough hair products to open a salon, dvds we never watched, enough toilet rolls and kitchen paper to supply the local supermarket, clothing for all seasons when we are away for max. 5 weeks etc. I certainly will never slum it, after all one can only drink Crement from a champagne flute, but it’s amazing how everything we want to take has a space in our 6m whooosh bang. We have now benefited as have the charity shops.
Sue

OP
OP
DilltheDog
Apr 28, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2006
We love our Compactline though we are in the process of further downsizing to a Malibu Van. The only comment I would make about driving a Compactline is take care with the blind spot caused by the mirrors. It is easily lived with just be aware that visibility to the right at roundabouts and turnings can be obscured by the mirror and make sure you look round it.
I did notice that driving it home yesterday. Not only the mirrors but also the window frames which combine to blocking out quite a bit of the side view!

OP
OP
DilltheDog
Apr 28, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2006
We've had and 11m van, loads of 8.5s we've had 7's and 7.5's. One day many of you will finally see the light and make your way up to a 6/6.5m panel van. Pure MotorRoaming Joy. You know it makes sense :D
We were tempted by a 6.4m Malibu or Adria twin, but felt just a step too far this time. Having said that, when our kids were small we had a 6m 6 berth swift that we went all over Europe in, and never really thought about it being “small”

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I did notice that driving it home yesterday. Not only the mirrors but also the window frames which combine to blocking out quite a bit of the side view!
After the Hymer that right hand side window will be a pain, even worse we are having to have RHD it was that or wait another year for a LHD plus latest price increases.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny, I meant new to us rather than new. It’s a 143, with comfortmatic and a 150bhp engine. I’ve had comfortmatics for years so really don’t know any difference, and have never had a problem with them.
Last two vans have been Comformatic done nearly 80k in them, far better than a manual.

Main reason we went for the 141 was I didn't like the shower room in the 143, if they still made the 144 with seperate shower an loo & L shaped kitchen we would have gone for that.

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
Much prefer LHD last two vans have been. Only thing I'm not looking forward to on the new van is that it's RHD.
That sliding window is a pain. I'd have had LHD too, even if I only used the van in the UK. Didn't have the choice.
The only benefit is that the otherwise useless side seat becomes a rather comfy footrest for the driver, when the seat is swivelled.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back