Never run out of Gas again!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Terran, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Terran

Terran Funster

Just seen a crowd funding application for a new device that tells you when your gas is running low. It sends a notification to your smartphone alerting you to the impending lack of Gas. This post is not meant to be an endorsement for crowd funding projects, simply a "heads-up" to Funsters of what might be a useful tool. You can see all about it here. :) Needless to say I've supported it, I live in dread of SWMBO getting pointy nipples through lack of heater output! ;) Cheers. Terran

• Like Like x 5
  2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

this is old technology that has been around for ages, you can buy temperature level 'stick on indicators quite cheaply' . .. so I don't know how it has a patent pending..

the temperature difference between the gas and liquid at the interface level only works when gas is being drawn off to cause a difference in temperature.. you can sometimes see this line with frost on the bottle up to the liquid level..

harnessing to a Bluetooth TX is however a new idea.. how it will work in practice I am very skeptical.. but wish the project well..

I'll stick to the tried and tested twin bottle method.. .. when one runs out you change or refill it..

• Like Like x 1
  3. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Nowt wrong with pointy nipples:rofl::rofl::rofl: or chapel hat pegs as they're sometimes known.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Sounds like hard work to me I just look at my Truma Duo a red LED comes on when the gas changes to the reserve cylinder, failing that can look at the float gauges on top on the cylinders.

But for the house I have a Nest, can turn the heating on remotely so we get back home to a nice warm house.:)

5. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I had thought of adding this feature to my hardware project. But I was going to use scales to measure the weight of the cylinder to determine the content level. I decided against it in the end as the cost doesn't justify the results. I now have a twin cylinder with auto changeover valve. It turns red when it has moved onto the second cylinder. I then go to the LPG station and refill.

Not sure of the benefit of knowing exact levels now I have this system in place. Got it all from Gasit and worked out really cheap and took me all of 10 minutes to fit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

There was a device on the market some years ago..(can't recall who marketed it, well known brand) used a scale with a remote gauge.. but for me it's just something else to go wrong..
    I like to keep things as simple as possble.. KISS ..

don't even like auto change over valves.. I have one on twin 19kg Propane bottles for my domestic cooker.. so I have to keep checking in case it changes over unnoticed.. would rather the flame just went out and I had change over manually.

7. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Latest Truma's have an remote indicator LED changes from green to red when it changes to reserve bottle also has a regulator heater for cold weather.

8. Terran

Terran Funster

Hi Lenny, do you know which model Truman has that feature?
    Cheers. Terran

9. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Remote Indicator Duo C

• Like Like x 1
  10. Terran

Terran Funster

(y) Thanks

11. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

when away I just fill with auto gas and keep it toped up usually ever second day if we fill with diesel
    I top up the gas
    bill