Need for levellers? (2 Viewers)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Correct me if wrong Karl, but I believe you have a compressor fridge, so level not so important.. What do the manufacturers recommend .. ?

@Poohbear

I stand by my previous post.. better level than even a couple of degrees out.. you can do whatever you like.. it's your fridge.

From Dometic Instruction Manual .. 7 series fridges.

CAUTION

Do not park your Rv on a slope for a longer period of time. Absorption refrigerators use a gravity fow system. Being on an angle of more than a couple of degrees for extended periods of time stops the refrigeration and might cause damage to the cooling unit.
You are correct, I was responding to the angle of the slope making things uncomfortable not on the workings of absorption fridges.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You are correct, I was responding to the angle of the slope making things uncomfortable not on the workings of absorption fridges.

Yes, I realised that, it was just for clarification for others who may have thought you had an absorption fridge and didn't bother with levelling.

Jan 24, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Still learning šŸ˜Š
I too travel alone... But use mine if need be...
It's not difficult with a little bit of thought...

Eg.. Yesterday I needed to raise the rear of the Moho..

So I placed both ramps against rear wheels...

I then placed my door matt (roughly same length as ramps) at a suitable point below the driver's window - in my case I used my LPG filler as a marker..

Stuck my head out of the window and...

Reversed onto said ramps - whilst watching "filler" move along length of matt..

Moho levelled before tuther end of matt aligned with fill point ...

So using that method - no chance of a "drive-over"... :)
@Fletton Thank you for that John I will have to practise instead of being a scardy cat.

ryanmck1984

Free Member
Sep 8, 2016
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'd say it a definite yes for the level ups. Although another way we can tell if we're level is if the water drains away in the sink it's good and if the water stops flowing from the taps when the fresh water is low it's bad :LOL:

Brianbern

Free Member
Jul 24, 2014
Chester or sometimes Spain
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1983off and on
Completely rubbish at using any sort of levelling blocks and after being the cabaret and only motorhome in one Caravan club site some years ago decided that we would sleep either up or down hill depending on the terrain as were usually only there for one night anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
We don't own a set of levellers and to date have not found a reason to go and get a set!

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
i must admit to being amused at the lengths people goto to level their vans. as ex campers, as long as you don't need a climbing rope to get from one end of the van to another, its fine. although i agree on the spirit level shown above. as long as the glass is not overly tilted to allow a decent measure without spillage.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I've got some levellers but have never used them. They take up too much room in the van. I don't pick 'sloping sites' if described so by camp sites. If it's slightly sloping I park so my head is above my feet when sleeping as I can't be doing with a rush of blood to the head at my age.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I use one of those 'T' levels (two vials at right angles) on the floor behind the drivers seat. I only level if the bubbles aren't 'free' (free = not pinned to one end or the other of the vials). Most of the time moving the van a few feet in one direction or another makes it level enough.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What a palaver, I stand in the van, if it feels level it is, if it doesn't it's not. Simple, body sense more reliable than a spirit level whose results can vary depending on which surface you put it on.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Very rarely use levelling ramps. As the Rapido is up at the back on a level surface I can usually get pretty level on a slope just by being the right way round. Fortunately few places are exactly level, if I was on one I would have to let the rear suspension down.

Our shower doesn't drain if we are level, but the water soon goes as soon as we move so don't bother.

Norfolk Red

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
2 Years
Well, this has cleared up a few myths, I thought I was the only one who didn't use ramps, thought they were a bit gimmicky, but guess I will keep them in the motorhome just in case.....................(y)

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I have 3 blocks of wood about an inch thick which are much easier to use than levelers and make enough difference 90+% of the time, if we feel that the position isn't level enough.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back