Need a Table Made for New Motorhome (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Most new tables for motorhomes are hollow with just a frame and two layers of thin plywood, to keep the weight down.. Laptops go straight through them when they fall out of the top cupboard. (not mine)
My ML I 's table too high for me and t'other'arf so I am going t reduce the height by 1 1/2 " just enough to get my arms over the top and eat. big disadvantage being small you know.. I shall de-weld the base frame and re-weld it after removing the requisite amount.. I also use it to climb into bed so it can't be too low.

If i was good with my hands i might be able to do somehing similar but i am afraid i am usless at DIY which is why i will be paying someone to do it for me :)
Why are they still in business ?

To be honest i have no idea, everytime we have been there they have been so busy so they must be doing something right. I noticed my old Delaware is now up for sale but they have not replaced the awning that has a dip in it or resealed the cab as this was also coming away. I suspect they will not do it unless the new owners notice it. We used them again as they gave us a better deal than any other dealer that we went too. This is i am assuming down to there buying power being so big, it is not all bad as there are some plus points with them like being able to stay for free onsite with ehu as well as getting 10% off in he shop. These are not reasons to buy from them but if you have already then it does help with extra's you might want.

LadyBea

Free Member
Jan 17, 2010
Dumfries &Galloway
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 1994
i sure will

Was this a folding one or do you know if they make folding ones?
No we didn't have folding ones, we also bought one on those adjustable folding legs so we could move the table out if the way altogether, you could always ask them if they make folding tables, we found them very helpful.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
No we didn't have folding ones, we also bought one on those adjustable folding legs so we could move the table out if the way altogether, you could always ask them if they make folding tables, we found them very helpful.
I have a few options now so I am sure we should be able to get something sorted. Thanks for help.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've used table tops from kitchen tables before today, picked up at car boot sales, but if you want new (which I'm sure you do!) then have a shuftie round Ikea who sell table tops on their own so you might get something that your wife will like that is a nice contrast to your existing scheme ... as a bonus she could buy some nice throws/cushions to match it. (y)

Similarly, if there aren't any table tops consider getting a complete table and just use the top if it meets your needs, it should work out a lot cheaper than going the bespoke route.:)

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I've used table tops from kitchen tables before today, picked up at car boot sales, but if you want new (which I'm sure you do!) then have a shuftie round Ikea who sell table tops on their own so you might get something that your wife will like that is a nice contrast to your existing scheme ... as a bonus she could buy some nice throws/cushions to match it. (y)

Similarly, if there aren't any table tops consider getting a complete table and just use the top if it meets your needs, it should work out a lot cheaper than going the bespoke route.:)
Thanks for the info, the issue we have is that we will still need it to be a folding table but just a lot smaller as it will still need to be folded and moved out of the way. I will look in ikea though as never even thought about them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Google for Cafe tables and pedestals you may see something that will do, that's what we did a few years ago.

Reactions: zac
Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Try brownhill they have a guy who can fix it :whistle:
When we were there in March, I overheard a technician saying they no longer did work on motorhomes which had not been bought from them. Probably due to the number of mh being sold now.
I had to put a reminder into my phone to book in October for an appointment in March.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
When we were there in March, I overheard a technician saying they no longer did work on motorhomes which had not been bought from them. Probably due to the number of mh being sold now.
I had to put a reminder into my phone to book in October for an appointment in March.
They must be selling loads so probably dont need to fix anything unless sold by them, quite a few do this to be fair. Booking in advance is a must for sure.

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Our table in our Burstner is massive so only this week we decided to fit a smaller one. We were lucky that where we store the van the owners hire out Motorhomes and they had a new spare table from there own stock that was perfect for us, so trip to Rainbows in March ( only 10 miles away) £16 for new rail and clips £18 for a chrome leg from B&Q and the £35 for the table top less than 1/2hr later table fitted job done and chuffed with result.

Reactions: zac

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The original table top in our PVC is large and on a fixed 'in situ' swivel pedestal (goes up, down, round and round!) so the table itself can't be removed but we've found that it is a few inches too deep for our liking - when one of us is sitting on the side seat (ie back to the window) the table pushes into the corridor/kitchen area too much making it awkward for the 'cook' and when we were on holiday for 7 weeks recently it became apparent that I needed to do something about it before our next trip in August as the extra depth wasn't needed (total overkill for a PVC!).

It's something I've been planning on changing for a while - I had already got a 'replacement' slightly narrower but same length top, bought last year from a car boot sale (its the top from a large MDF chest of drawers that cost me the princely sum of £2), admittedly it doesn't match our existing cabinets but that's not a problem seeing as I cover it anyway with an easy clean piece of plastic table cloth - but as usual, though, it never got changed ...!

Anyway, today I decided to 'attack' the table and finally get the top changed over ... wasn't quite as 'easy' as it could have been though ... the existing square metal bars that go within the main support which allow the table top to slide sideways were too long as the 'new' top is about 4 inches narrower so I had to remove the plastic end fixings, cut a couple of inches off each bar, and then put the fixing back on - I took the opportunity to move the top slightly further forward on the support too so that it can be reached a little bit more easily from the swivelled passenger seat than the original.

Got it all done eventually and put an oversized plastic table cloth on, wrapped it round and then gaffer taped it to the underside so it won't come off. It won't make any difference to the use of the table top itself due to the original being too big anyway, but it will make quite a difference to the cook!

I'll take some photos tomorrow if I get the chance!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I am not looking for an exact match but it will need to blend in if you know what i mean, well to be fair if it were me i wouldn't care but my wife on the other hand is a different matter.
You want a match for the wife? Just sort the table out, it'll be cheaper.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
You want a match for the wife? Just sort the table out, it'll be cheaper.
I did remove the huge table we had yesterday and went to fit a temp one i brought from kamper somebody online, it was £37. Not ideal as we need it slightly bigger but it will do for now. I think this one is 76cm x 42cm and i had to get some more wood to support it as when i removed the big one i found that they have made a groove in the table so that it clears a huge nut that is in middle. Anyway for now it will do as it has given back a load of room and i will now take the massive one and get something made using that as a template. For now though it is good enough as we can still move it left/right/back/forth as it is on the same bracket as before. Also all in i think i have spent £47 inc the extra wood i needed which is quite a way off of the £1500 i was quoted by Rapido for a smaller one. We will now look at may be a kitchen work top and get some one to to cut it to our shape or just get something made from scratch, had some good suggestions on here. I figured even if i pay around £300 i should be able to get something sorted that is half decent and still be around £1200 better off.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Have you tried VW converters, there are many decent ones around and they'll have a very wide choice of woodgrain laminates.

Not sure where in Hampshire you are but Vanworx and Uberbus are on the coast, try a search.

I know one that could certainly make you a custom table top, but they're north of Oxford. Here's their woodgrain swatch:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back