LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I would dispute the claim it is the first open air museum - I can think of several others!
Dunno whether they were the first or not. On their "history of..." page, they're claiming the start in 1935 in Iona, with a continuation across a number of sites, ending up at Newtonmore. I guess there's the question of "when does it become a museum", and are they only referring to folk/ lifestyle places.
But whatever... yes I know of a good few other open-air folk museums, all of which I've enjoyed, including St Fagan's in Cardiff (1948), the wee one at Kilmuir here in Skye (1965), Gearrannan and Arnol in Lewis and Harris (mid to late 20th century), the Big Pit etc. All, in my view, worthy of a visit, and much more interesting with a little bit of reading and understanding beforehand.

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
We are already on the east side at a place called Kingussie spent last night and this coming night on an MCC MOTORHOME SERVICE POINT AND AIRE cost £10 per night payable into an honesty box with an easy walk into a small town with an array of shops butcher, coop, chemist and a fantastic charity shop. Moving on tomorrow to Rosemarkie on the Black Isle, bring on the dolphins.
If anyone else stops in Kingussie the Highland Folk Open Air museum is really worth a visit , a few minutes away in Newtonmore, free entry run by volunteers, donations welcome but not compulsory.

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
I would dispute the claim it is the first open air museum - I can think of several others!
This one I just posted claim that ,
Ooops same one 😲

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
I have heard it said many times that East to West is the way to go for the best views.

P.S. There is no "official" route for the N500. Just work your way around the coast as it suits you.
We are going east to west😁👍😁👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back