National Trust Mission Creep (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
NT may upset a few members.

It is reported that whist Ramadan and Diwali is diarised in their new calendar, Christmas and Easter are not.

That's useful. I know when Easter and Christmas are (usually 25th December) but I can never remember when Ramadan and Diwali is. It stops cluttering the calender with uneccesary information. I am disappointed they have missed Buddha's birthday out.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I relied on reports in the Mail, Express, Telegraph, GB News ... why are you claiming otherwise - do you have a source that debunks the claim?

Hmm...there's something common to those particular media outlets. They do like to give 'news' like this a certain slant. I'm trying to find something from more 'reputable' or 'less biased' sources but cannot find anything yet. I'll keep searching.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Irrespective of the source of the info or it’s politics, I think it reasonable to take the ‘omission’ as factual.

IMG_2209.png

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
I relied on reports in the Mail, Express, Telegraph, GB News ... why are you claiming otherwise - do you have a source that debunks the claim?
Great if you rely on the telegraph you will have read the piece below as that is where it is copied from

David Lamming, a Trust member from Suffolk, told the meeting that the issue had been raised with him by a concerned volunteer.

He said: “The calendar for volunteers has amongst the highlighted dates Eid and Diwali.

“But it doesn’t include the Christian festivals of Christmas and Easter. Can we have an explanation please for those being omitted?”

His question prompted a loud round of applause from the audience, one of whom later said it was a sign that the heritage group had become “too woke”.

John Orna-Ornstein, the Trust’s curation director, said in response: “I’m really clear that there is no such internal discrimination”.

Other dates flagged up on the calendar include Transgender Awareness Week, Black History Month and LGBT+ History Month.

The National Trust said: “This internal guidance is specifically designed to supplement the National Trust’s year-round programming that includes Christmas and Easter, which are national public holidays and which are celebrated at all properties.

“It enables our teams to mark more religious and cultural festivals, to serve local communities and allow everyone to learn about and enjoy different cultures.

“We’re proud to host some wonderful celebrations for Eid, Diwali, Hannukah, and other occasions. The National Trust is for everyone.”

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Great if you rely on the telegraph you will have read the piece below as that is where it is copied from

David Lamming, a Trust member from Suffolk, told the meeting that the issue had been raised with him by a concerned volunteer.

He said: “The calendar for volunteers has amongst the highlighted dates Eid and Diwali.

“But it doesn’t include the Christian festivals of Christmas and Easter. Can we have an explanation please for those being omitted?”

His question prompted a loud round of applause from the audience, one of whom later said it was a sign that the heritage group had become “too woke”.

John Orna-Ornstein, the Trust’s curation director, said in response: “I’m really clear that there is no such internal discrimination”.

Other dates flagged up on the calendar include Transgender Awareness Week, Black History Month and LGBT+ History Month.

The National Trust said: “This internal guidance is specifically designed to supplement the National Trust’s year-round programming that includes Christmas and Easter, which are national public holidays and which are celebrated at all properties.

“It enables our teams to mark more religious and cultural festivals, to serve local communities and allow everyone to learn about and enjoy different cultures.

“We’re proud to host some wonderful celebrations for Eid, Diwali, Hannukah, and other occasions. The National Trust is for everyone.”
They obviously know their target market. I have noticed since Covid a large increase in Asians and Chinese visiting NT houses so I suspect they want to align themselves with a growing market who will spend money.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
They obviously know their target market. I have noticed since Covid a large increase in Asians and Chinese visiting NT houses so I suspect they want to align themselves with a growing market who will spend money.
Perhaps they are just recognising that there are more than just Chritians living in this country.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
So whilst it might be obvious to Christians, what about having the Christian holiday dates to promote and inform those who are not Christian.

Surely it is very presumptuous of the NT to assume what their membership do or do not know.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
So whilst it might be obvious to Christians, what about having the Christian holiday dates to promote and inform those who are not Christian.

Surely it is very presumptuous of the NT to assume what their membership do or do not know.
You missed the bit where he said it was "internal guidance". I suspect most of the volunteers are not from an ethnic background

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
You missed the bit where he said it was "internal guidance". I suspect most of the volunteers are not from an ethnic background

And to those volunteers who are not Christian?

Same point applies

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back