LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Well, second time out since we got the new van with the levellers. Up at Killin, reversed onto pitch, pressed my levellers button, rear vb suspension dropped, the EP levellers activated and next thing I know the front wheels are about an inch off the ground! Quickly checked my handbrake was on full!

For those who have them, is this ok? Should I do anything else? Van is perfectly level and stable, should I be concerned or is this exactly what I should expect?

Sorry for sounding so woosie, wasn't expecting this second time out!

Thanks
Bill

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I do that often - don't worry. ( But you might need another step or a leg up :D )

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I may be wrong, and some one will no doubt shoot me down.... but..

I was always told not to have the front wheels hanging in space..

Ok for the rear, as no moving parts to put a strain on... as in Track Rods etc..

As said that is what I was told, especially with heavy Yank RV`s..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Dont know if its right or wrong but I do it anyway, I have asked a mechanic and he said "no problem" our front suspension arms do have a stop to limit the travel.

If you want to level without the wheels hanging in mid air try using the manual option as I find that you can still get a level but without using so much of the ram extension.

Martin

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
This is ours a couple of weeks ago.
The wheels haven't dropped off............................yet. :D
IMG_2644.jpg

OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Thanks guys, all is feeling stable, getting some funny looks though from passing Motorhomes and caravaners........

Off to Bunree in the morning, see how we get on there!!

Thanks for reassuring posts.

Bill

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
I carry a couple of blocks of wood to stop this from happening......As Mo says.......Probably get shot down but in my opinion its bad practice.
Certainly didn't do it with the Rv and I'm not doing it with the Liner.....I would advise against it.
As stated ....the manual option might alleviate this.(y)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I wouldn't worry, as long as it is level. Seen lots of vans with wheels in the air, the owners seemed happy enough. We had hydraulic levellers on our last RV. 7.5 tonnes and regularly had a couple of wheels off the ground if we were on a slope, I'm pretty sure Winnebago recommended facing the van downhill so the front was lifted more than the back.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
i thought the idea of spending all that money on self levelleling was so you didnt have to carry blocks of wood.

No no no, one certainly does not HAVE to carry little blocks of wood, though I do and they take up far less room than those Millenco Quatros I used to carry anyway. Those little blocks of wood save the plates dropping in to soft ground on occasion.

The main reason though is the convenience of it all. My wife isn't happy if the fridge door swings open or closed so E&P get it right every time. I know that Martin has his Flair level inside 30 seconds of arriving all from the comfort of his drivers seat.

Ask someone who has them and they would never have a van without them again.

Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
Popeye - I have them and I would not be too bothered about having them again. They have their limits and more than a gentle slope and they struggle to level out. Also with the auto level (factory set) the fridge door swings swiftly open.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Popeye - I have them and I would not be too bothered about having them again. They have their limits and more than a gentle slope and they struggle to level out. Also with the auto level (factory set) the fridge door swings swiftly open.
The manual tells you how alter the 'level' setting.

I agree about the limited range, though, especially on automatic. Sometimes the controller shows the red light indicating that it can't be levelled, but controlling it manually gets it level.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Find another pitch guys:LOL:
But no like John its a no no for me.Even though Goldschmitt sayits perfectly ok to do so.I don't believe that it would do suspension parts any good having them dangling in the air for long periods.
Brian & Jo

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The level setting should be set when the system is installed, if you are not happy with it you can do it your self or you certainly can with E+P.

Martin

Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
Martin, yes it is E&P and I have looked at re-setting but dont want to risk fiddling with it. So I manually level as that usually is better than auto as Cavs points out.
The point I make is the system has real limits and is by no means the perfect solution for one who needs to be level for peace of mind - swinging doors and sloping bed nag at me (OCD rules).

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Martin, yes it is E&P and I have looked at re-setting but dont want to risk fiddling with it. So I manually level as that usually is better than auto as Cavs points out.
The point I make is the system has real limits and is by no means the perfect solution for one who needs to be level for peace of mind - swinging doors and sloping bed nag at me (OCD rules).
Its easy enough following the instruction, if its not level you cant make it any worse(y)

Martin

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Leaving the wheels hanging will have no ill effects on any suspension components all Fiat base have Mcfearson strut front.
Not sure about Iveco/Merc but the shock absorber limits travel same principle.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
I have never had a problem with wheels being off the ground. If it needs to be like that to be level - well that is why we have E & P levellers. My only regret is that I didn't get the remote control when I had the system fitted.

My van is on an Iveco Daily.

Dave

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Leaving the wheels hanging will have no ill effects on any suspension components all Fiat base have Mcfearson strut front.
Not sure about Iveco/Merc but the shock absorber limits travel same principle.
The IVECO chassis suspension has stops that limit the travel before it hits the bottom of the shocks.

Or ours does anyway.

Martin

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
The reason I carry blocks of wood(quite an assortment actually)
On the rare occasion of not being almost level I don't like over extending the jacks and I don't want to jacks sinking into soft ground.
If I find the front wheels lift off the ground I run up onto the blocks and re level.......Does'nt take long.(y)
I'm on a MAN chassis and running gear and don't know their take on lifting the wheels off the ground,personally don't like it anyway.
Each to their own at the end of the day:D.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Plenty of commercial vehicles around with their wheels in the air, access platforms cranes etc.

Martin
The jacks should work in pairs so as to not twist or stress the chassis, certainly the systems I know do but there might be some real chepo's out there that don't. I can see the argument for not having the jacks at full extension and also carry a few block that I can use to limit this.

The basic shock absorber is just a piston in some oil and doesn't care which end of it stroke it is so I don't see how it is straining.

The engine and gearbox mounts will bear the weight whatever you do with the wheels and jacks so I don't see where that is coming from.

Anyway everyone to their own.

Martin

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
If there was any risk of hoses joints or mounts being stressed the vehicle manufactures would state you must support the bottom arms when changing the wheels.
Also the drive shaft joint is not turning so no stress there if you have ever worked on fwd vehicles you would know a drive shaft will drop a lot further down than the full extent of suspension.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Had my fronts off the ground at the Newbury show, and not for the first time. Never noticed any ill effects, but then it is a Winnebago! :D
Some Rv's have the windscreen held in by rubber in a fiberglass frame, so if you lift on the front the chassis can droop a little and the glass can possibly come out of the frame. Winnebago's don't suffer with this as the screen is bonded to a steel frame, which is joined to the chassis, so if the chassis droops a little, the steel frame the glass is in goes with it.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have never had a problem with wheels being off the ground. If it needs to be like that to be level - well that is why we have E & P levellers. My only regret is that I didn't get the remote control when I had the system fitted.

My van is on an Iveco Daily.

Dave
Same here, I also have VB air which is linked so press auto on E&P it talks to VB, VB drops air, E&P goes to level, VB then puts air in bags to ensure also well.
Dave, call Mick at SAP £200 or so gets you remote with antenna. Fit antenna to black box, Mick calls it brain box, and away you go.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
...... and next thing I know the front wheels are about an inch off the ground! Quickly checked my handbrake was on full!

Given that the jacks were supporting pretty much the full weight of the vehicle, I'm curious to know why you thought applying the hand brake would offer any benefit?

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back