My very own 'truck with no name' (1 Viewer)

Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
Hey gang

I’ve wanted a motorhome for a very long time and this year I’m taking the plunge. We want to do weekends away in the UK (Devon first) but I also want to start doing European trips asap. Starting with a few days in northern France, followed by something more adventurous….

Like 3 weeks in the summer holidays with everything planned, campsites booked in advance and a definite itinerary (I’m guessing it will be busy).

Or Nice / Corsica / Sardinia / Sicily / back home.

Or a Christmas market tour in Germany.

Or across the alps and hang around the Italian lakes.

Or a ferry to Bilbao and down the Iberian peninsula

You get the idea. Anyway I’m toying with the idea of buying a German MH because I’ve heard they are quite cheap. I guess it would be a bonus for European trips but more difficult in the UK, but I’m more experienced as a driver here anyway so it might cancel out?

As far as I can tell, almost all MHs are built on a Ducato / Relay or Boxer chassis, and most rarely have mechanical problems because they are commercial vehicles and you don’t really drive many miles in them. Is this a bit naive? I am definitely not a DIY man so i will need to find someone to do any repairs inside.

I want to find a layout with sofas at the back and a cabin bed. This means we will sleep on a sofa bed, but I’m guessing the advantages of a sofa will far out way the benefits of a permanent bed (for us anyway).

Inevitably we will not buy the perfect MH first time around, so it’s only going to be a starter, but surely this is the main outlay. Every time you buy a new one at least you can trade in your old one?

The problem is that there is an overwhelming selection of MHs to buy and it’s difficult to choose. And I’ve never been to Germany and I don’t know where to look.

We have a budget of £25k.

Thanks russ

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hello and welcome to the Fun
upload_2016-12-31_15-19-33.png

Sorry I have no experience of German vehicles or touring in Europe, but I'm sure someone will be along to oblige!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Hello and welcome.

Once you have your van we can all come up with names for her :) You get to choose any or none.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hi welcome... sounds like the layout you want is a 'u shaped lounge'. Plenty of people experienced with those on here but it's commonly a more a British motorhome layout as European motorhomes are designed (often) for more outdoors lounging...
In either case get looking at shows and dealers until you find the layout that's right for you.
Good luck!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Hello and welcome. Before buying a van can I say layout, layout, layout. Also, don't overplan, we like to just let it roll, never book anywhere on the continent as we rarely know where we are really going.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
There are plenty of dealers here, selling Motorhomes from all over the continent. Go look at lots. Really think about the layout you want. Have fun looking. :xgrin:

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
:welcomesign:to the fun and the pleasure of searching for your first van. I have previously owned an Autotrail Apache 634 which has the layout you feel you want. We couldn't fault the layout, as you say the rear lounge far outweighs the idea of a permanent bed and it takes little time to set up of an evening.
However everyone has their own favourite layout so I suggest you find a dealer and TRY TRY TRY before you buy.
Autotradermotorhomes on the internet have thousands of vans for you to view, I bought my last one that way, sure saves driving from dealer to dealer but being your first purchase I would suggest once again that you visit dealers, shows etc and do not be rushed into it.
If you have waited awhile what's a little longer.
Have fun.
Norman.

OP
OP
russ the rambler
Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
thanks for all your replies. i've subscribed to the site now so i'll have a read up and get back to you

Reactions: CWH

Fifiwi

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Welcome! A great site, this. I'm sure someone will be along soon to recommend a particular model for your wish list. We have a Hymer B544, which was imported from Germany. It was found on the mobile.de site, which is like Autotrader.
Happy hunting!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
:welco: to Fun.
Good luck with your motorhome search. Take your time, try out lots of different layouts.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I would second a look at Link Removed has loads of vans an will give an idea of what is available. We used Bundesvan (now BVN to import ours)

OP
OP
russ the rambler
Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
Hi, been busy and I'm trying to revive this thread. I am looking for a u shaped lounge MH and I'm trying to find models that suit. An autotrail apache 634 gets a mention but can anyone suggest others please? Will all 634 models have a u shaped lounge or can you get different layouts?

I'm really looking for 'run of the mill' common models. The type where there will always be dozens for sale at any one time. I'm hoping these criteria will narrow down my search to say, less than 10 models?

I've got a budget 25 to 30k. Thanks in advance

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You're correct in thinking the majority are built on the Ducato base.
Fiat built a motorhome specific chassis which makes them popular but there is also VW, Mercedes and the good old Ford Transit (easily stolen) to consider.
Mechanical breakdowns are inevitable and unavoidable but as motorhome mileage are comparatively low for a commercial base they are few and far between....but still happen.
Whatever you choose, make sure you have the correct licence...B up to 3500kg...C1 over 3500kg

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcomew2f
As others have said try before you buy. Go to dealers or shows and lie on the bed, sit on the loo, stand in the shower, make an imaginary meal etc. Make up beds can be uncomfortable as cushions are used and a topper may be needed.
Good luck!!

Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Hi Russ the Rambler,
Yours is a sensible move, getting all the info then buying. I take delivery of a new van 16-02-2017 its a Fiat Ducato with the Autocruise Rhythm fit-out, this is soon to become the Autocruise ?????? with a basic price and EVERYTHING is an extra.
I got a great deal as the dealers only want the new model on their forecourts. You can pick up a second hand one at a reasonable price.
These are rear lounge units that make either 2 single or 1 double bed, all at a decent full length. The rhythm comes with all the boys toys. Still mystified? send me a PM and your welcome to come and see one in the flesh, so to speak, this gives the idea of normal, long wheel and extra long wheel base vehicles.
I live 20 miles from you, wife will have the kettle on and fresh cakes.
Regards
David PS A warm welcome to motorhoming?

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
:hiya::WelcomeFlag:enjoy looking....we looked for a long while (about 2 years) and are now enjoying the MH of our dreams...happy hunting:D

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
We bought a 2nd hand Autotrail Scout with the U shaped lounge and lasted making up the beds/bad back 1 trip We bought a memory foam mattress and made up the lounge permanently ( small dining area at the front) and have had it for over 2 years and am very pleased with it. Yes research research and research but you won't really know if it works for you until you live with it. We bought the Scout as a learning curve as we didn't know if we would actually enjoy motorhome games (we LOVE ❤️ it) and have learnt loads and now know exactly what we require in our 2nd and long term beastie. Enjoy the ride

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back