My tip with ramps and levelling

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bernardfeay, Aug 9, 2014.

1. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

I often spot motorhomes attempting to get level by using two plastic ramps which have a total height of about four inches each. Fear of overshooting means that they raise the MH by about two inches on each wheel and the benefit is marginal at best.

I use just one plastic ramp but I have screwed a three inch plank to the underside. It is bevelled on the edge so that I get a smooth run up and with help from my wife I can usually get at least six inches of height gain. (Prior to editing this read "I can get a good six inches up.")

I can always spot which is my lowest wheel and simply getting that one higher makes all the difference.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Rapido925M

Rapido925M Funster

My Dad made wooden blocks, tapered at one narrow end with a 1" square cross piece raised above the other end, each with 2 holes drilled in them. Apart from the bottom (longest) plank, each block had 2 dowels which located in the holes of the next shortest plank, whilst butting up against the cross piece. He could raise the van in 3" steps by upto 18inches, using 6 planks: the longest was 24" and the shortest 6". Slightly heavy, but very flexible.

The most interesting attempt at levelling that I saw was a German in a VW camper in Scotland, at the CCC Ardgarten Site (now closed). Loads of wooden beams were freely available as it was a forest site with reasonable slopes. He constructed a platform where a level spot turned into a steep drop and reversed onto the platform. It took a dozen attempts before he was happy, by which time the platform was 5 feet above ground level! The only things stopping him overshooting were his brakes and a warning from his female companion.

It is quite unusual for us to use our ramps; everything seems to work so long as we are reasonably level and we rarely stay still for more than a couple of days - Gordon

3. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

I'm not sure if people realise that raising just one wheel actually lightens the load on the springs of two other wheels, thus making them a little higher than they would otherwise be.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I use two 4" (if you're lucky!) Fiamma ramps and rarely fail to level. I'm always surprised at how much levelling can be achieved by a little wiggling around within the pitch. Or by choosing another one. :)

5. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Pair of Milenco Quattro's does it for me.
    16cms (just over 6") maximum and curve stepped.
    Never overshot them, yet, and most times I don't need to have the hand brake on. Always left in first gear though. You can feel each step as you go up onto the ramps.
    Offset them by one step or more for side to side levelling as well.
    Never had a problem with them and almost always end up level.
    If the pitch is such that even the Milenco's can't cope, move.

6. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

i can usually look at a pitch and decide drive in or reverse in,,as our autotrail lot higher at back , then look how pitch slopes etc to get almost level before using ramps to get it right,,,,cant have the brandy spilling over the glass through not being level.....the pint glass takes a lot of filling,,so NO spilling....:whistle::whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tootles

Tootles Funster

What a great idea!! (y)(y)

8. Rapido925M

Rapido925M Funster

It took me a while to realise that if I park ACROSS the slope, the difference in heights is much less! :oops: - Gordon