MX5 on A-Frame

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Castaway, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Castaway

Castaway Funster

Has anyone any experience of towing a Mazda MX5 on an A-Frame?

I've just bought a Mk 2 and am considering doing just that but would like to know of any issues I might have to overcome (and I'm not getting into discussions about legality, either!)
    My biggest concern would be the fact that, as far as I am aware, the ignition key must be left in to unlock the steering, not a good idea in a soft top from a security point of view!

2. Chrisdy

Chrisdy Read Only Funster

Most cars these days require a 'coded' key which is needed to disable the immobiliser in the ignition circuit. We had a similar problem with our Mitsubishi Colt CZC (which is a hard-top convertible) which we tow behind our RV, but we resolved the problem by ordering another spare key, which we left uncoded. That way, even if someone gets into the car it cannot be started with the key that is in the ignition. Speak to your Mazda dealer, they may be able to advise on availability and cost of such a key.

3. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Mx 5

HI

Word of caution. I THINK I have seen a thread in the last year By an R-V`r who damaged his gearbox on an MX5? Trouble is I cannot locate the thread and of course it may have been another vehicle, and possibly un-related to towing.

Anyone else on the "forum(s)" able to help?

Pete

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  4. superk

superk Read Only Funster

Here's a couple we met towing an MX-5 round Spain behind a European motorhome. He's with Prodrive the motorsport organisation so I guess he thought it through. They subsequently went to the USA, bought an RV and toured for a year before importing it. If you scroll down the page you can see the MX-5 parked alongside their RV.
    The Geezers American Adventure

:Smile:
    Keith