Motorhome WiFi

Discussion in 'Computers' started by 656, May 22, 2012.

1. 656

656 Read Only Funster

Edd ordered one of These yesterday and it turned up today:thumb: Installed it on Edds laptop in about 10 mins. Installed the Pro version of Connectify and shared the signal. All straight forward. Spot on, just need to see how good it is when we are away.:Rofl1:

By the way, the WiFi booster picked up about 25 internet signals in our immediate area. normally my Mac and Edds laptop pick up 4 as a rule. :Cool:

2. champers

champers Funster Life Member

We too bought one of these at Newbury, have not had a chance to test out as we had good signal at Newbury (typical lol) but it does have a good write up I believe :Wink::Wink:

3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

they are very good.. had mine for almost 2 years now.. very popular..
    Best use was in Spain where i was out of town and picking up the town hall wifi..:BigGrin:
    Ideal in Uk if you have access to bt openzones or buy a www.fon.com

• Like Like x 1
  4. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Yes we also have one , well worth the money :thumb:

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We have one, its very good. Didn't buy it from those guys as we bought a long time ago; but their prices are keen, so if I were buying, I'd buy from them. The people behind Motorhome Wifi are Adam and Sophie from the excellent travel blog Europe by Camper, so they have plenty of experience with using the kit all over Europe. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. JJ

JJ Funster

What a very useful thread...

Thanks people...

Just got my wi-fi amplifier thingy yesterday and was thinking how useful it would be to share the new, stronger wi-fi signal with my smart phone rather than having to use the weaker, non amplified signal or my 3g Vodafone Sharing Dock for the job (and risk throttling)

Once again MotorhomeFun and its members come up trumps...

JJ :Cool:

7. JJ

JJ Funster

Just posting this via my smartphone connected to my wi-fi hotspot in the Wagon set up using Connectify...

Top stuff...

BUT

I am meant to be working !!!

JJ

8. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

Have been looking long enough for a decent quality with decent reviews , WiFi booster. So have ordered up one of these units . Will give it a test over the weekend when tramping around in deepest Oxfordshire , Lincolnshire or wherever .

9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Tom, report back here and let us know how you got on with it. BT Fon and Openzone members will find it invaluable, as we do:thumb:

10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i used an alfa wifi antenna last time i was abroad .you can get them off ebay .far cheaper than that one .and they worked almost every where. 'be carefull though as there are alot of rip offs out there.

11. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

Of course , no problem Jim:thumb: ....I dont have BT Fon etc , will simply be zeroing in on whatever wi fi we find .

12. robnchris

robnchris Funster

wi-fi

We`ll certainly be interested in hearing how you get on with as we do have bt optic fibre connection at home and their roaming hot spot idea is a brilliant concept.

What sort of range can be expected from this very useful gadget?

13. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

====

the site selling the unit claim -- "" Operating distance of several kilometres"" . 656 s post mentions picking up 25 wi fi signals in their area , instead of 4 when not using the unit . .

• Like Like x 1
  14. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

Hi Alan, the Alfa unit is a very powerful unit and contains a similar chip to what is inside of the directional antenna. Where the Alfa falls down is it's tiny omni directional antenna and lack of mounting options. If you wanted to put the antenna outside and ran an antenna cable you would experience some signal loss and more importantly an increase in noise.

The directional antenna is both weatherproof and externally mountable with 5m USB cable for connection inside your van. If you was to consider an Alfa then I would recommend the AWU036NHR which is the most powerful unit they sell (2W) for use inside your van. We have one of each of their product range and would happily stock them if we thought they were the best or there was sufficient demand.

Hi again Tom. Your order has been posted this morning first class :thumb:.

Distance is always a tricky one to quantify since it depends on so many external factors such as environmental conditions, interference and terrain. What I can tell you is that a directional antenna by it's nature will always be more powerful then an Omni-Directional unit when it comes to picking up and broadcasting radio signals be it TV, 3G or WiFi.

Our personal record using the Directional Antenna daily for nearly a year was 18km but this was over water, on a perfect day, with a clear line of sight, with the planets aligned correctly etc etc. :Eek!::BigGrin: I would say a couple of kilometres would be achievable through regular use in a relatively clear terrain. Often you are at the mercy of what's at the other end, if it's a router in a bar or a cafe or a large outside antenna array for broadcasting around a town for example - the scenarios are endless.

What I can say is that the gain of the antenna coupled with the output of the chip is close to the legal limit of what can be sold in the UK without an operating licence. That power output is better used in a directional unit to increase the distance rather then an Omni directional unit which of course is picking up signals from a 360 degree radius from the antenna.

We've had some excellent feedback from people using the antenna and that is really important to me. Feedback on Fun.

15. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

How do these work if you only have an ipad/iphone?

The mention of the USB cable confuses me cos there isnt a USB port on the ipad.

16. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Bumping this cos I want to see if my £10 subscription can "save" me £59.99:BigGrin:

17. vwalan

vwalan Funster

having seen the inside of some directional antennas i am not convinced on the ranges given . have seen the insides of a german sold unit that as much more panels inside . but as i really only play on the computer the alfa is ideal. definately was being a ready market two winters ago. a mate sold loads when i was with him in spain. worked quite well in morocco as well.
    have seen a few just walking arund with them in their top pocket till they got a better signal.
    but i,m happy so i,m ok.

18. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Can anyone help me with this? I've got one of these wifi amplification antennas. I use it via USB cable connected to the laptop (on the odd occasion when I can find an unlocked signal, that is). We also have an Iphone each and wonder if there is a way to extend the signal from the laptop to the phones.

Wyn

19. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

Hi WynandJean,

As you have rightly pointed out this device does require a USB connection to a Laptop and will not work directly into an iPhone or iPad. A tablet or phone simply does not provide enough power to run these devices even if the operating system supported them, which it does not. We do have something for iPads which will be ready shortly.

If you would like to share your connection between other devices the quickest and easiest way is to download the free version of Connectify. Information on how to download and run this software is available here: http://www.motorhomewifi.com/blog/sharing-your-internet-connection-easily/

Hope that helps.

20. dennismartin

dennismartin Read Only Funster

just got one of these picked up wi fi 6 miles away

does any body use " fon "