Motorhome & Toad v Car & Caravan?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by callumwa, Aug 19, 2012.

1. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

We are today pitched up near Loch Rannoch, the weather is sunny and warm, as it was yesterday.:thumb:

I have seen plenty of other Motorhomes on the road and gave them all a big wave. I have also noticed a few pulling toads on trailers and even on A frames..... (no, it's not another A frame thread)....

However each time I see a toad being pulled behind a motorhome, I just ask myself... WHY?

If you are touring around and moving on every day, or every other day why do you need a car in tow. If you pitch up and its a mile or two to the nearest village, shops, bar etc, you could walk, or use a bike, electric bike or even a scooter or small motorbike, keeping them in a garage or on a rack.

If you are going to pitch for several days or a week or more, but still want to explore a bit further afield, a car and caravan evidently makes much more sense to me.
    There is only one lot of tax and insurance. You do not have two engines to service, extra running costs, tyres etc. The car and caravan could cost significantly less in the first place and give more living space as you have no "Cab" in the caravan.....

When I see it a Motorhome with a Toad in tow, I actually just see a car and caravan in reverse, but much more expensive. :Doh:

Am I missing something?:Eeek:

• Like Like x 5
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Yes, the lack of ability of some folk to see The Big Picture.

There is another option too, just hire a car when needed.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

It's a personal choice . I tow a small car behind my RV on some trips , on others I take electric bikes.
    A caravan is not readily functional pulling into layby or especially aires in France etc whereas a Motorhome with bikes on the back does the job.
    If you cannot afford it , don't do it !

• Like Like x 3
  4. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Yep .... wot Larry said :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

I have always been one of the first to say that if you have a Motor Home and you are towing a car, you have things the wrong way around.

I am now a convert.

I now find myself with a motor home and a car, I've also ordered a trailer to be built to take my car down to Spain with me.

I'm not really sure how this has all come about, but I do know, that I would not like to tow a caravan all the way down to Spain. In fact I would not like to tow a caravan anywhere.

It's not about cost it's about preference.

I used to be a tugger so I do know something about it.

Pete:Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  6. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

In my case with my wife's disability we need a car to move around. It's easy to say just use a bike/bus/walk but some may not be able to do that.

And i much prefer a M/H to having a caravan.

• Like Like x 3
  7. callumwa

Of course, just like RV v Eurovan, it is all indeed a matter of personal choice.

I did not mention anything about affordability either, that was not my question.
    I was just wondering about the logic and practicalities, and as you have said above "a motorhome with bikes on the back does the job" so why pull a car?

When I see a motorhome towing a car, it seems to me, that the general idea of Motorhoming has been lost somewhere, because if you have a car (toad) being pulled by a motorhome (the accomodation unit, ie caravan), you are then no different to a tugger.

• Like Like x 5
  8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

think some of us have the answer .do i need to say more .
    5er or artic makes much more sense . and we stop in aires and park up all over the place with out hassle .

• Like Like x 1
  9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Not quite.

Because you have two sets of driving cabs, pulling a toad for any given train length, a caravan will have much better accommodation. If you factor in cost of purchase there is no contest.

A car on an A-frame is wearing out an expensive item when it's use is a tiny fraction of the actual wear.

We never stop long in one place. I guess a MH is right for us though I spent some time looking in Discovery Durham one day and could not believe the luxury afforded by quite cheap caravans.

10. callumwa

My thoughts as well.... :thumb:

11. vwalan

vwalan Funster

no mini artic much more sense .the overlap makes for a much shorter length . and its much more manouverable . i have 7 seats in the truck yet when disconected its smaller than many cars . higher of course. only a little bit longer than a corvette .

• Like Like x 1
  12. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Callum I do not get it either:Doh:

I know people do I just do not know why?
    I understand the ones with a hobby involved IE; little classic car,racing car ,motorcycle,trike etc on the back as its part of their hobby

13. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I use a toad sometimes (UK only) and the times I use it are where a trailer caravan would be better but I don't have one. This is when staying in one place for a while and exploring the area. Most places in the UK are unfrreindly to motorhome parking and sites are invariably miles from anywhere you want to visit.
    If I had somewhere to store a trailer caravan then I would keep one just for my relatively little UK use instead of the Toad.
    On the continent I leave the toad behind.

14. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I have a trailer for my motorbike. It's too big to hang on the back.
    It is useful if you park up for a few days and want to do a bit of exploring. It doesn't always go with us, only if we intend to be in one place for a few days at a time.
    We have had caravans and prefer our MH. Sometimes it's more convenient, sometimes not. Just our personal choice.
    If we did decide to have a toad it would be a Smart car on a trailer, but that would be for long stays in Europe in the winter. Again, for our convenience.
    We often catch a bus or ring for a taxi from a camp site if we want to go into a town etc. for the day.

15. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I checked out hiring a trailer for Spain in winter and found it is much cheaper just to hire a car when you get there :Doh:. Obviously the sums are different if you already own a trailer but I don't.

16. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Hi Callum, depends on the trip. Last year we visited Scotland for a month with car on the back, we stopped at several sites including near the Cairngorms, Skye and Glen Nevis.
    We had the comfort of our RV plus the safety of towing .
    Caravans have the ability to flip, we also had the Peugeot 107 to get to all the little nooks and crannies that most motorhomes and towcars cannot reach.
    We were able to pull into laybys and other areas for a short stop and cuppa and toilet, which is not easy with a caravan.
    Ok we are towing but the small car being towed will go anywhere, is very economical and in addition our RV gives us a very comfortable home to spend time in when the weather is poor.
    It is more costly but I can afford it at present and see no attraction in tugging a caravan

:Smile:

• Like Like x 4
  17. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

I must agree with the op it's the same s tugging a caravan......so why do I do it well I don't like caravans want more space....so the RV works for us also like my Corvette don't tow a caravan too well :Rofl1: we tend to park somewhere for a week at atime and go out from there.......if at a show I just take the bikes........some people are disabled and a RV or motorhome suits their needs better than a Caravan......Smudger couldn't do what he does without a RV with a car on a trailer....but I guess for many it is just personal choice and what works for them and yes if going to Spain for the winter it may well be cheaper to rent......but I must admit we don't always do things that are rational do we :Rofl1:

All the best Rick

• Like Like x 4
  18. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

2 x road tax, 2 x insurance, 2 x servicing......just doesnt add up......they will have a car for daily use which already has all of the above :Doh:

Most folks dont use there motorhome every day of every week as daily transport just as most dont use a motorhome every day of every week to tour/camp.

when it comes to wasted funds the motorhome is the biggest loser....a dozen weekends, or even every weekend, and maybe two or three full weeks away and the rest of the year it stands on the drive, taxed and insured....dead money !

if you have a car why not tow it and use it for exploring the local area.

• Like Like x 1
  19. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

Its horses for courses..................yes I tow a horse...no trailer just the horse. :Smile:

barry

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  20. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

You jest Barry, but there was a guy at Malvern show with a full size model horse complete with tack on the back of his RV :Rofl1::Rofl1: