Motorhome Stabilisers for reducing the rock'n'roll- serious question (1 Viewer)

Checkingout

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Blucamp Sky 25S
Exp
OK, I'm going to stand back and wait for the lavatory humour to start (and I will be disappointed if there is none :D ) but this is a serious question. We are confirming the spec for our motorhome from Italy (which is a rebadged version of the Rimor Katamarano 109 Plus) and one of the options is to have 'parking feet' or stabilisers fitted.

We are intending to live in this for a couple of years, without too much to do except sight see and work on our relationship so to speak (which my wife likes doing very much, I might add).

We were wondering how well these stabilisers work in stopping the 'if it's rocking don't bother knocking' effect as the van moving around on the suspension can be a little disconcerting and we don't want all the neighbours getting jealous and complaining to the campsite management.

I would appreciate some feedback to assist us in making a decision.

Are these type of devices suitable for actually levelling up or just stabilising the van?

Thanks

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I suppose it depends on the vigourousness of your acrobatics........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Fiamma_Aluminium_Stabilising_Jacks[5].jpg

I used a set of these from Fiamma, 2 on the front jacking points behind the wheels and 2 at the rear under the bar which had the tow bar on, took minutes to put in place and stopped all rocking.
And that's not me doing it !

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
View attachment 161573

I used a set of these from Fiamma, 2 on the front jacking points behind the wheels and 2 at the rear under the bar which had the tow bar on, took minutes to put in place and stopped all rocking.

What? The rocking or the jacking?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes they will stabilise a van, yes they can be used to compensate for very very minimal leveling issues,
They are not jacks or leveling devices

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
I here the Al-Ko ones on the rear of my Bailey, excellent bit of kit !

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Spend some of that spare cash, Jacks and Hydraulic is all i will say.

Martin

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Whoa , steady there, don't think they are designed for excessive use :rofl:

OP
OP
Checkingout

Checkingout

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Blucamp Sky 25S
Exp
Whoa , steady there, don't think they are designed for excessive use :rofl:
Maybe we can request the super duped uprated, mega steadies then. ;)

I apologise for the frank nature of this post. I forgot that most of the funsters are British :D

Any other comments (useful or otherwise?).

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I have them on our Hobby but I have to get down and dirty (Ooer Mrs) to set them up so I use a couple of cheap scissor jacks under the tow bar.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Like most things, it's a matter of choice. We've only used ours once (in 11y) but it may be because we are getting old (66y) :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

On a site last year my neighbour was having problems moving off his pitch, which we put down to slippery ground. After lending him my "drive-away mats", he realised that he had his stabilizers down :LOL:. I imagine that if you are over-enthusiastic, you may find yourself "welded" to the spot ;)

Gordon

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Smut smut and more smut. You lot are worse than me with innuendo.
Caravan steadies are suitable for the Motorhomes, my old chausson had a pair on the back end.
They cost about ÂŁ65 each but you will forget to wind them up sometime or other and they do bend or dig groves. Finding a place on the chassis is the worst bit.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We had them on one of our previous vans and yes, they work. And I can confirm from bitter experience that they do make good plough shares! :love:

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I apologise for the frank nature of this post. I forgot that most of the funsters are British :D

Any other comments (useful or otherwise?).

Personally I don't give a preferable about what other people think of me or my actions though I do try to remain polite and take other people's considerations into account when possible. That being said I have found that by fitting air assist suspension it really stiffens up the rear (ooooeeer missus) allowing afternoon bonks with minimal rocking of the van. There are rear steadies fitted but I have never used them and would probably forget to put them up again when moving. So unless the rocking embarrases you or your missus, rock on to your hearts or libidos delight. JMTW :D(y):hot::Grin:

Ps. Not only am I British, I am also a Scot and love frank questions.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I for one would highly recomend having the E&P jacks fitted ,they are not cheap but IMHO the best after market product that i had fitted to the Moho ,you press a button and they come down and steady the Moho , you also dont have to worry about them becoming ploughs as they retract automatically.

The other problem that you may face is noise ,those moho walls are a tad thin :):):)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Don't want any steadies, go for it and ride out the waves, erotic :lips:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Thin walls could be your biggest problem, while" give it to me big boy" to listening campers might make us jealous, " is it in yet" would have the opposite effect. :LOL:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Chance would be a fine thing hope she's not a moaner;););):whistle::whistle:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
View attachment 161573

Back to a serious note for a second. SWMBO suffers from inner ear balance problems sometimes, even someone walking up and down can cause sufficient of a sensation to make her feel queezy. If we were full timing, and had the payload, I would definitely be looking for some form of hydraulic Jack. It's one of those things we can't justify the cost of, and as PaulyP does we also use the Fiamma ones. Most of the time we only need the rear to make it steady. As stated, they are not a jacking/levelling system, just a steadying system.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Had a Bailey 740 with a rear French bed. Tried Flamma plastic supports, two bottle jacks and finally Alko steadies. None really worked. The only thing I would consider now is full hydraulic jacks. In my opinion, if you have the payload and the cash then that is the only way to go. Everything is a temporary measure. In my current van, I am not bothering with anything until I can afford hydraulic steadies.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
At close to 2.5grand for hydraulic jacking, (eye watering!:(:cry:), I think I would go for Celibacy?.(y):whistle:

Had Jacks on the r-v, but they where OE. there is (seriously) the extra weight to take off your "Payload".

Edit:- I think many Alko chassis have steadies fitted O/E?, half way along the chassis in front of the rear wheels (on ours). Rusty as hell.:( And a right grovel to extend!.:( with the aforementioned desire to act as plough shares if forgotten!(n)

OP
OP
Checkingout

Checkingout

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Blucamp Sky 25S
Exp
As usual, a charming mixture of the useful and the sublimely useless but entertaining. Thank you all for contributing.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi, we have wind downs on our van and rarely use them but they certainly work ,except when going up steep ramps /hills as they sometimes scrape along the floor and the feet on them are now a bit bashed.:eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back