Motorhome desperately needed..

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Uncle Bob, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Read Only Funster

We need advice on a motorhome if you guys could help...
    The purchase of a swift kontiki has unfortunately gone sour due to the vendor selling it another party above our agreed price.....
    Our dilemma is we have a teenage son with cancer who has been stuck in various hospitals for nearly a full year and now we have him home he loves being outdoors for a drive :) so we decided to get a camper for him and visit friends and relatives while he is well enough.
    So we now have to look for another suitable camper for him, our budget is £4.5k to £6k.
    He managed great getting in the kontiki but struggled to get in the rear door of an express due to the tall steps as he has limited leg movement. Ideally we would like a 5-6 berth so his older brothers can come along when possible :)
    What vans would you recommend looking for on our budget? What don't we want? Any advice is greatly appreciated x

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

THere are vans about for that sort of budget but be very carefull as on ebay, pre-loved and gumtree there are quite a lot of scammers (crooks) listing non excisten vans.

Dont part with ANY MONEY until you have physically seen the van and all its documents for a start, then thoroughly check it over for damp and accessories working

Check cambelt status and age of tyres.

Good luck

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  3. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

I don't know if you have access to the funsters Garage where there are vans to be sold sometimes. If no access,then it means you have to pay the subscription first to get in. Anyway it would be much better for you if you pay it as you're allowed only 5 posts if you haven't subscribed!

I wish you good luck in your search!

Amicalement

Frankie

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hudders1

Hudders1 Read Only Funster

Hi welcome. Can I ask did you shake hands with the seller when you agreed the price? I have recently purchased a motorhome in your budget range so I know how hard it is. There is allot of conmen and scammers out there so be very carfull. We got ours of eBay but I told the seller I will be paying on collection after I have checked it all out first and it's as advertised please don't be afraid to walk away if not happy.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Be careful , with such a very low budget your looking at very old motorhomes or ones that could make you open to being taken in by scammers and crooks. Believe me there's lots about.
    Don't part with any cash before seeing the van. Good luck.
    You've done the right thing by looking at this site, but pay the tenner to join and you'll get more advise than you can shake a stick at. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Read Only Funster

£10 paid :)

Thanks for the heads up, I have noticed some 'absolute bargains' that stick out as being a scam like a blind cobblers thumb. Having a small budget makes finding a decent camper a bit of a challenge but I'm sure there is one out there with our Danny's name on! :)

• Like Like x 4
  7. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Welcome to Motorhome Fun, now you are an official member, do make use of us, ask as many questions as you need , and good luck with your search.:welcomefunster:

• Like Like x 2
  8. happypre65

happypre65 Funster

Motorhome desperately needed

Hi,Look at Uk campsites co.uk it is free to enter and has lots of vans for sale,regards H.:BigGrin:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  9. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

They are available at your budget, but at this end of the market, it pays to be practical. You can't expect everything to work. You'll be needing to fix up bits of electrics and plumbing and not be scared of the mechanical side, either. If you are someone who likes to get a man in, then it may be a case of false economy or relying on blind luck.

I bought mine for about 5K, but have spent as much time under it as in it. TBF, though, it has gained an LED TV, Mifi, solar, parking sensors, working taps and an engine that goes round and round.

• Like Like x 2
  10. stcyr

stcyr Funster

<------ Globetrotter.

I have a friend who has a Dethleffs like ours. Nothing needs doing, everything works. Has a couple of brand new windows (a couple had cracks).

Due to having to have serious knee surgery imminently he needs to sell the MH.

It is going for a real bargain price.

I can't get over until early next year otherwise I'd buy it now myself.

11. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

Don't know if this will be of any use.....
    EBay item number:

12. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

ther are sum vans out ther for that typ of buget as i fund out but pleas do look them over good and dont take ther word for it no mater how nice thay may seem you can find them i did 6berth dry as a bone but knakerd engine i am lucky i can do all the bits
    if you are handy with youre hands it can be done :thumb:

13. Philcott

Philcott Read Only Funster

My budget was the same as yours and I landed up with a FFB Europa 650. She's 22 years old, but a sound engine, - yes she's got problems (I'm learning a lot of things fast :D ) but as long as you are not frightened of a little work it is all do-able.

Good luck with your search and I hope you find something soon!

14. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

sorry on that budget your buying trouble
    So don't expect too much
    Except spending more money on it once you own it :Doh:

15. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

Hi, Uncle Bob

We would not normally recommend a 'van for purchase but our neighbours have one for sale that, in our opinion, is an excellent one. It's a 1991 Hymer and it's on eBay for £4,700.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hymer-Cam...mpers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item19e48d7611
    The owners have had it for just over three years and it was to be their 'forever' 'van but they were offered a larger 'van at a knock-down price and that's the only reason that they are selling their Hymer. They have spent a small fortune in refurbishing the Hymer to a high standard. If we were looking to buy another motorhome then we would definitely have bought theirs.

Regards
    Rob & Val

16. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Hi, sorry I can't work the link but if you go to ukmotorhomes.net they have a classified section. There is a ford elnagh 660 6 berth for 4k, might be worth a look. Good luck with your search. :thumb:

17. stcyr

stcyr Funster

I disagree with older/cheaper MHs necessarily being trouble. There seem to be far more hassles with newer high-priced vans ...
    i.e ours - £2.90 in parts over 4 years. 23 years old.
    Previous one, £2k, 700.000kms., did trip to India & back then went straight through mot without an advisory ...
    There's as much chance of getting a duff 2 year old as a duff 20 year old ... IMHO :Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi hope you find something :Smile: Here are a few from the new listings on ebay within your budget ---I have no interest in them other than posting the links towhat I consider to be OK for the money :Smile: All links vans etc, need to be checked out before you part with any money etc etc
    terry
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1991-FIAT...mpers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item3a879efb5c
    BE CAREFUL ON NEXT ONE COULD WELL BE A SCAM AS seller is asking for your details :Wink:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-TALB...mpers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item1c392e484d
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fiat-duca...mpers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item1e833b65c8
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Duca...mpers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item27dae98688