motorcycle/scooter/dolly ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by slverdreamers, May 26, 2012.

1. slverdreamers

slverdreamers Read Only Funster

Hi We are going back to a scooter - an mp3 as fed up with a frame hassle in Spain. We had an easilifter before which put a lot of strain on our long overhang. We are looking at either a transverse trailer, or the above which we saw on ebay. E mailed them but no reply. The scooter travels on its back wheel front ones suspended on this device on tow bar. Idea looks good no trailer to bother about, but just not sure about it or whether it should only be used by recovery people. Does anyone know about these
    Wait to hear regards

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Technically not legal.

trailer law states if it has brakes they must work, regardless of trailer weight.

you have a wheel on the ground so the brake has to work.....and that just cant be done !

3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi, as pappa says ideal for recovery . i have one here used it loads . we recovered bikes and trikes . .sometimes i recovered mine there and back to see how far it was. but not legal for vehicle transporting . there is or was a nice back wheel dolly sold at one time that would meet the rules as it was not fitted with brakes.
    i also have a kliponoff twin spec frame that goes across the back . would put weight on the over hang but its very light in its self. mind you do have to lift one wheel at a time . i deal for lightweight bikes . i bought mine from sammy millers at new milton hampshire.mind that was years ago. we used to sell alot of his stuff they were 50quid retail then. i imagine they are still going .havent bought anything off them for years .i use mine a fair bit . takes up to 250cc machines easy .over that i find it hard to load.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Your suspended scooter towing Dolly does fall under the recovery equipment regs and will be speed restricted in the UK as per all dolly type set ups
    Also it will be seen in the same light as a A frame in Spain the only
    way in Spain is a trailer
    Geo

5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

7. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi, learning slowly .i wondered about that mp3 bit ,but thought mp3 was for recording .hee hee . i just thought they meant ordinary scooter. but never mind .personaly i always carry a chinese dax style bike in the back .carry,s two fat 18 stoner,s when needed . only weighs 80kg . had mine for 11yrs now never go away with out it .90cc but now you can get a 110 or 125 even 150cc versions. find mine ideal for being nosey on or even venturing off road or on the beach. luckily mine fits under the bed in the garage . i built it just high enough for the dax with handle bars folded down. never had the bike when i built it .took measurements from someone elses .

8. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Funny things arn't they
    I recall something from Vosa re the spacing of the front wheels
    One of them is deemed to be a car or class 4 mot if i recall right, the memory's going and we don't test em anyway so wern't paying attention that day:BigGrin:

9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi, i just googled mp3 scooter . never knew they existed .
    geo .when i was building trikes i was told if the two wheels on the same axle are less than460mm apart it counts as one wheel.
    never built one that tight as i built vw trikes (bet you guessed).
    but op. may be better off with an aluminium rack with a ramp. could be made very easy and could be very light.
    sometimes life just isnt simple is it.
    think i have had just about all the recovery gadgets going .still have lots . come in usefull sometimes .

10. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

Ive been following a solomatic braked A frame on ebay, missed it, but will be looking again. I still say they are illegal, but what the hell, I,ll not be going to spain wiht it, mostly this country, so , i,ll take the same chance everyone else does. I,d rather that than spend a fortune trying to stop Itinerants nicking a trailer.
    Its a shame, cos i used to be falling over the things at work......till some beggar scrapped them,:BigGrin:

11. vwalan

vwalan Funster

been using my solamatic for years .its one of the very early ones that rests on the bumper with chains going underneath. must have payed for itself a thousand times over. definately a good bit of kit. i also have an intertrade tow pole . and my bike recovery single spec was built using intertrades version as a plan. i borrowed it from a local racman at the time .

12. upmarkethippy

upmarkethippy Read Only Funster

hi guys, I have an A frame here for sale, if you interested??

And question probably more for geo, but what are the rules/laws on fitting and using a spec lift on the rear of a vehicle, for recovery??

as for the trailer/rack for mp3, i can fabricate the smallest trailer for it. easy to lift and move by one person.

Cheyne

13. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

Hi Silverdreamers, we have just returned from France/Spain towing a Suzuki Burgman (400cc) without a hitch. Over the last two years we have towed this combination for 5000 miles and are delighted with every aspect of size, weight and freedom. The trailer is an Armitage crossover and upto now cannot fault anything. The scooter is heavy but loading is simple and once tied down never moves, even over the French level crossings. If you need any other info just let me know.

14. vwalan

vwalan Funster

cheyne. think you will find that dvla may want to see it just to get the body change right. what weight vehicle is it going on . if over 3,500kg it will be mot exempt so vosa arent worried about it. if its used for recovery breakdowns locally no operators licence tacho etc are needed . just keep it up to roadworthyness .get a v112g exemption form from dvla office or post office for use when taxing the vehicle .
    its one of those vehicles that can slip through the net . but get caught with it in bad condition they throw the book at you.

15. darklord

Cheyne, ditto what Alan said, its a good thing to do as long as its all in good nick, and LOOKS good, a scruffy old outfit attracts VOSA like flies to a cowpat.
    What sort of a frame have you got.?

16. vwalan

vwalan Funster

cant beat a fresh coat of paint every year on a breakdown truck. even the harvey frost towboys etc . looks good leave you alone .
    blind them with science ,hee hee.

17. upmarkethippy

upmarkethippy Read Only Funster

A frame

The A frame i believe is an old chris cox.
    it came off a citreon car.
    I do not have the cable and brake system with it as that was well rusted into place.
    But the A frame is complete and folds in half.
    Are you going to Stratford show?
    i can bring it with me if you are....

Cheyne

18. darklord

No i,m not going to stratford. I,ll give chris cox a ring in the morning to see if the bits are available for the braking, then i,ll pm you.:thumb:

19. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi, bet its only in need of a length of bowden cable . bowden cable and a small solderless fitting to fix to the brake pedal. to be honest asda are doing a kit of various lengths of bowden cable for about 4quid might be long enough. or visit a good motor bike shop. some still make up cables . we used to buy it all from venhill they did alsorts of ends as well.

20. darklord

I,m lucky in a way, that the motor i,m going to tow is a landrover lightweight. Theyve got more holes in them than a colander and are really basic, the bumper is solid steel, being ex military, so fitting wont be a problem. I just need to see how the tow motor stopping, makes the landy brake pedal go down, once ive seen that i can make something up.
    If anyone has a photo or diagram, that would be handy.