Anna-Gabor

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Hungary
Funster No
MH
Hymer B644 1992
Exp
only since 2015 october:) we are fresh chickens!
Yes we checked to Dakhla, Its 1000km from ifni then from there merzouga which we also want to visit is 2500km!! Sounds so much compared that we are only 1200km from tanger and we thought we drove a massive amount already. The idea of driving almost 4000km-s to see dakhla and merzouga is not tempting.. from merzouga then up to tanger is another minimum I000km I guess. This country is not as little as it looked first!

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thats what I thought I.you ought to know. Makems have done it so know the mileage involved .
We did over 3500 miles in Morocco in 3 months the previous 2 times and 2500 last time.
So we are doing more relaxing now .....

Were at Tafraoute .plenty of room. .10 mad a night .

music /argan festival 6.7.8.9.march .

The road is good with great views. If you use the 60 k route instead of the 40k it is longer but the same travel time more or less and slightly better road .

Stop at the hotel on the hill for the view and photos ....you will know it when you see it .

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
Sparkly, where do we find the dates and on which document? On this white import paper I see only one date: valable jusgue 22/07/17 which is half year from when we enterned..
And on the passport stamp there is just entry date stamped..

That's it Anna, they have given you 6 months for the vehicle. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anna-Gabor

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Hungary
Funster No
MH
Hymer B644 1992
Exp
Sparkly, Thanks, so we cant extend the 3 month visa if we cross the border somewhere as the car is ok until july. great to know.

Suggy, where in Tafraoute is the 10 dirham place? could you give coords please? And what is the festival about, whats going on there? Has someone been there before? everybody sais its great, but we havent met anyone who has actually been there.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Fourth time for us at Tafroute .
Look on uour nap or Google it ..
About 4 inches to your right from the sea ....

Google Tafroute music and argon festival .
Its all free .
Big stage with morocan mysic and dance ladies all in traditional costume. Stalls selling everything from Argon oil to wedding.
dresses .
look on the previous years Morocco posts for pictures.

Coordinates are

N29*43.345
W8*59.093

Anna-Gabor

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Hungary
Funster No
MH
Hymer B644 1992
Exp
Woow Thats very cool as i really need to buy wedding dress! We want our wedding in the desert just the 2of us!:)

We are in guelmin and maps.me sais tan tan is 4.5hours on N1. Its 160km. But google maps sais 2hours. Which one is true? Is it so bad road? I never used maps.me so its new i just read it here and downloaded it now.
Thx

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It was 40dh Monday, I think they try it on

Definitely trying it on - we only paid 30 MAD. And we didn't appear to get the "good price" he "negotiated" for us at the on-site restaurant, which wasn't all that good anyway was it chaps?

Jan 24, 2015
Spalding
Funster No
MH
Carado T337
Exp
Since 2000
Hoping to call at Fes on the way north. Notice there are two parking areas near the city wall in Vicarious Book. Can you stay the night or are they for day parking only? Stayed on crappy campsite 4 years ago, not going down that route again. Thanks for any info.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Just a little comment, now on the guardian parking at assilah, 50dh, plus bring pestered for beer by the guardian, he's a decent guy, BUT the campsite just along the seafront seems good with facilities, also for 50dh, and not pestered.
After staying at the guardian parking at Asilah for the last couple of years thought we'd give the campsite ago after what @Hotelman said. Guardian Pk 40dh water 20dh elected 25dh. Campsite 60dh with good hot showers good toilets and free WiFi and washing and you can get you chairs mats etc out.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Hoping to call at Fes on the way north. Notice there are two parking areas near the city wall in Vicarious Book. Can you stay the night or are they for day parking only? Stayed on crappy campsite 4 years ago, not going down that route again. Thanks for any info.
We stayed at a guardian parking spot on Place Boujloud which is just across the road from Bab Boujloud, one of the main gateways into the Medina.
Its in Campercontact site 21625 and coordinates are N 34°03'42", W 4°59'03"

The square can be noisy with kids/students from the adjacent Lycee in early evening but it all settles down later on.
I cant remember how much we paid the Guradian but there are no facilities so arrive with full water and empty cassette.
Dont believe the hype about the Medina being so complicated you need a guide. There is a shop on the opposite side of the road from the parking where you can buy a map which is perfectly adequate to find your way around. And if you do get lost, just keep,heading downhill and you will eventually arrive at one of the other gates (Babs) where you just get a taxi park to where you are parked. Simples!

There is an excellent campsite on the outskirts of Fez, just off the motorway. Facilities are very new and top notch - among the best in Morocco. But comparatively expensive - on apar with Le Relais in Marrakech. Just like Le Relais it is quite a way out of the centre and you will need a taxi into the city centre and back. We used the site for a days rest and laundry before moving to the guardian parking mentioned above.
The site is called le Diamond Vert and is in Campercomtact no 19027 coordinates N 33°59'25", W 5°01'16"
Have Fun!

Jan 24, 2015
Spalding
Funster No
MH
Carado T337
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks for a very comprehensive answer. Suggy said you would know and he wasn't wrong

May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
Is there an inexpensive way we can download campercontact. We have snooper and they do not have mapping for Morocco. I am a bit of a techniphobe so wondering if you can download to the laptop. Don't really need directions just info of new places to stay etc.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Hello Maroc Funsters, anyone taken the road from Rabat (R401) to Oued Zem and any stopovers ??. Think we'll give that a go :)
Also a result, Maroc sim still active from last year only needed a 50dh top up :)
Inshalah

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hello Maroc Funsters, anyone taken the road from Rabat (R401) to Oued Zem and any stopovers ??. Think we'll give that a go :)
Also a result, Maroc sim still active from last year only needed a 50dh top up :)
Inshalah

Dave .we did that road from marakech to Rabat .it was not a good road and not a pleasant drive .scenery not very good.
Coming down we used the toll this time .a lot easier driving .We did moulay to la relaise about 5 hours .

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Dave .we did that road from marakech to Rabat .it was not a good road and not a pleasant drive .scenery not very good.
Coming down we used the toll this time .a lot easier driving .We did moulay to la relaise about 5 hours .
Great info thanks @SUGGY

Jan 24, 2015
Spalding
Funster No
MH
Carado T337
Exp
Since 2000
Is there an inexpensive way we can download campercontact. We have snooper and they do not have mapping for Morocco. I am a bit of a techniphobe so wondering if you can download to the laptop. Don't really need directions just info of new places to stay etc.
I downloaded Campercontact yesterday and it seems work well.it is intended to be used as an app on either tablets or smartphone. The app can be obtained from the Google play store for ant device running Android or from the Apple store for iPads and I phones etc. The app is free but you only get the lite version free. To access all the info you need to pay £5.99 for a year long subscription. This is the route I took and its too early to say whether it will be value for money but I live in hopes. Ironically the camp I was on when I downloaded the app wasn't shown which to me shows that no single resource whether a book or online has every single camp listed but the more into st your disposal, the more likely you are to find somewhere to camp. This app works all over and not just in Morocco. You asked about using with a laptop. Not sure you can use an app with windows so possibly not. Use a tablet or phone instead. Should say also that when downloaded this app will work offline do you don't need WiFi to use it. Hope this helps.

May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
I downloaded Campercontact yesterday and it seems work well.it is intended to be used as an app on either tablets or smartphone. The app can be obtained from the Google play store for ant device running Android or from the Apple store for iPads and I phones etc. The app is free but you only get the lite version free. To access all the info you need to pay £5.99 for a year long subscription. This is the route I took and its too early to say whether it will be value for money but I live in hopes. Ironically the camp I was on when I downloaded the app wasn't shown which to me shows that no single resource whether a book or online has every single camp listed but the more into st your disposal, the more likely you are to find somewhere to camp. This app works all over and not just in Morocco. You asked about using with a laptop. Not sure you can use an app with windows so possibly not. Use a tablet or phone instead. Should say also that when downloaded this app will work offline do you don't need WiFi to use it. Hope this helps.
Thanks George I will give it a go. As I said I'm a bit of a techiphobe, does the app identify its position with co ordinates or is it purely a database with the info. My Mapsme does actually use GPS and identifies nwhere you are but don't think you can use it as a sat nav to take you to a given position. DOH!!!

Anna-Gabor

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Hungary
Funster No
MH
Hymer B644 1992
Exp
Hi Hilary,
We use 3 apps for Morocco:
Campercontact
Ioverlander
Park4night

They all identify your location, and Ioverlander works offline too. If you find something good on Ioverlander, the location can be opened with a simple click and its on maps.me directly. It works as a satnav.

They all have a bit different places, so I tend to check them all and see reviews.

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It's possible to download Campercontact as a database file http://www.campercontact.com/en/content/downloads for TomTom and Garmin. I've loaded it as a POI file into my TomTom and it works fine, although it doesn't, of course, update like the app - which I've got on my smartphone (Android).

As I tend to use MS Autoroute (which I know is now well out of date but gives an idea) I've also put it into that - it includes Morocco as well although Autoroute doesn't show any roads.............

Jan 24, 2015
Spalding
Funster No
MH
Carado T337
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks George I will give it a go. As I said I'm a bit of a techiphobe, does the app identify its position with co ordinates or is it purely a database with the info. My Mapsme does actually use GPS and identifies nwhere you are but don't think you can use it as a sat nav to take you to a given position. DOH!!!
It offered me a route using Google Maps and I think there are other routing options so you could use your phone as a sat nav

Jan 24, 2015
Spalding
Funster No
MH
Carado T337
Exp
Since 2000
Just travelled to Midelt and pulled into Camping Municipal to find it empty. I was here 4 years ago and it was OK. When I arrived I thought I was told 80 dh inc electric. When I had sited and taken my passports and filled out the fiche the price became 90dh. I told the owner or warden that this was the most expensive camp we have come across to which he just shrugged his shoulders. If I can prevent just one other person being ripped off then I will feel it has been worth posting this message.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just travelled to Midelt and pulled into Camping Municipal to find it empty. I was here 4 years ago and it was OK. When I arrived I thought I was told 80 dh inc electric. When I had sited and taken my passports and filled out the fiche the price became 90dh. I told the owner or warden that this was the most expensive camp we have come across to which he just shrugged his shoulders. If I can prevent just one other person being ripped off then I will feel it has been worth posting this message.
Looking on Campercontact it's priced at €8

Jan 24, 2015
Spalding
Funster No
MH
Carado T337
Exp
Since 2000
Looking on Campercontact it's priced at €8
Its shown as 80dh in my book which for the facilities is enough. Just wonder if he saw mug written across my forehead. 10 dh isn't going make or break me but this year we've had some excellent camps at less money than this. Just sharing my thoughts with the group.

May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
Hi Hilary,
We use 3 apps for Morocco:
Campercontact
Ioverlander
Park4night

They all identify your location, and Ioverlander works offline too. If you find something good on Ioverlander, the location can be opened with a simple click and its on maps.me directly. It works as a satnav.

They all have a bit different places, so I tend to check them all and see reviews.

Thanks Anna. Just went into iOverlander in play store but says its not compatible with my tablet [Android]?

Anna-Gabor

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Hungary
Funster No
MH
Hymer B644 1992
Exp
Tafraoute

Those who are there can you please tell how packed the town is?
Are there any places left in campsites and in the big 10DH area?

We are thinking of going up there today but overcrowded places we really hate. If its too busy we go later after the festival.
Thank you:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back