Mornin! (1 Viewer)

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
We're pondering taking the plunge buying a motorhome as a shared family venture, just waiting to see whether my sis really is happy to come on board. We've seen our dream MH at a dealer on Monday - he tells us they're selling fast (he may be right but I guess he would say that, wouldn't he!) so I'm just hoping no-one else jumps in for it in the meantime.

I've just joined about four different motorhome forums whilst trying to check out the dealer's reputation - how many forums do you post on and what made one become your favourite?

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi White Rose and :welcome:to MHFun.:thumb:
There are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folk on here to answer all of your questions.::bigsmile:
As for the other forums:RollEyes: forget the rest you've found the best.:winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes he probably would say that:Smile: But you never know, motorhomes are as popular as ever. That said, don't let a dealer rush you into something, have a good look around and make sure that the motorhome is exactly what you want before you buy. Meanwhile - Welcome to the fun:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Jim talks a lot of sense DONT RUSH INTO ANYTHING theres always another van it takes time to find the right set up but when you do its great.All the best and good luck:thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
:welcome: White Rose to MH Fun.

I look in on a few forums, and have posted on a few, but now only bother with this one.

Why? as the name suggests it is friendly and there is a lot of knowledge at your finger tips and it is freely given, a great help.

As Jim says don't let a dealer bully you, look first there is only one lot of cash in your pocket and plenty of vans, take your time and be sure.

Best of luck.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
New motorhome

Hi, take a good look around first. You are in the driving seat (excuse the pun :ROFLMAO:)
There are loads of motorhomes out there, and as a recent newbie, look at lots and talk to other owners. I'm sure they would be honest about their likes and dislikes concerning their m/h. Things they wished they had, and things they thought they wanted, but maybe not so important.

NEC birmingham has show on until this Sunday, so if you can spare the time, do go and look around. Its a big purchase so make sure you are happy with your choice.

Dont be smooth talked by a salesman - he wants to make his commission from you.

Good luck and most importantly - HAVE FUN ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

S.

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
Hi white rose take a good look around all the dealers and private sales dont be rushed into buying anything until you are sure it is the right m/h for you if the dealer trys to tell you this m/h will sell fast well let it be you will find what you are looking for in the end and be happy with your new purchase good luck tony

thestoneroller

Free Member
Oct 13, 2009
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
newbee
Having spent manys under canvas we took the plunge this year and bought our first mh and we realised what we had been missing ( fantastic ), like everyone says there are loads of motorhomes out there all shapes and sizes,take plenty of time to look and compere you will know when you find the right one.
This forum has everything you can think of regarding motorhomes, look no further.
Good luck:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi white rose and welcome to the FUN.

as others have said, take your time.

when you find the one you think you want spend a long time just sat in it.

make up the bed if its not a fixed type. i know there'll be no bedding but make up the frame and arrange the cushions into the bed position...if you can figure it out !! ::bigsmile: its a little bit like origami..

climb into the overcab bed and see if its big enough......i didnt and it isnt:Blush:

sit on the throne for a few minutes and try the usual acrobatics needed in there. they can be a bit tight on space:RollEyes:

is there enough work surface in the galley ?....there never is though.

move around and try different seats.....couch, dinnete etc.

spend an hour or two in it......you'll know if its right or not and the salesman will get fed-up after a while and go elsewhere leaving you to it.

and never think a question is too stupid to ask.....we all had no knowledge at first.:thumb:

good luck

john.

OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Thank you all for your welcome and the good points you all made. Pappajohn in particular has given me plenty of food for thought as on Monday we pretty much sat in the motorhome saying "oooh, isn't this one lovely" in a thoroughly clueless and overexcited fashion!

I did fancy going to the NEC but we're now looking at buying second hand rather than new and I don't want to get tempted by a shiny nice unused MH when I should only be looking at what I can afford :Doh:

Will see if I can sneak five minutes a little later on to post a list of my questions ...

"My" motorhome is still on their website so far ....!

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Without giving away where your ideal van is you could tell us what it is and check if any members have positive, or negative, comments on the breed.

OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Tis an Autotrail 700, probably looking around 5 or 6 years old and hoping for a good discount as a cash buyer with nothing to trade in ....

I've looked at a fair few vans recently and keep coming back to end lounge ones as being preferable. It's then just a matter of trying to see how much van we can get for our budget ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back