More Mysterious Dangly Bits

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bhs, Jun 12, 2015.

1. bhs

bhs Read Only Funster

Took rear light cover off for no particular reason and found extra cables, not connected to anything, the cable sleeve looks as if it's been done professionally, can't follow cables they disappear in to bodywork. Also there was a defunct LED mounted to be visible to the outside from the reverse lens, couldn't tell what colour that was (clear but may have illuminated red) I have a working alarm so don't think cables belong to that. There is a towbar and cables to socket are clear and seperate.

Any ideas P1040160.JPG P1040158.JPG P1040158.JPG

Lens screws are disappointingly rusty, will look around for some stainless replacements, any screw kits out there?

2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Looks like they are all part of an alarm system ( including the LED )

Although you say they are not connected to anything they actually are.. They are connected to them selves in each connection

3. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Just a thought, is this perhaps the remains of an after market tow hitch hookup?

4. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Just buy what you need from Screwfix. They have a good selection of stainless self-tappers. As have a few eBay sellers.

5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I took my lights off a couple of days ago. I wish I'd photographed them. The original wiring was pretty untidy - then the towbar fitter (PO had one fitted) filled any remaining space with with bl**dy Scotchloks. God I hate those things.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Scotchloks.. the only absolute guaranteed way of getting 100% duff joints after 10 minutes !!
    Things should have been consigned to room 101 whilst still on the drawing board..

7. bjandlin

bjandlin Funster

Agree on scotchlocs, solder & heat shrink for me.
    I've seen a lot of alarm tell tales flashing in rear lenses, maybe that ?
    Barrie

8. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Those red things are sticks of gelignite - your MH has been booby-trapped by an over-zealous previous owner who maybe had a bad experience with vehicle theft.

You're going to have to remove them, but the question is do you cut the red wire first or the yellow wire?

Be sure to have the incidental music from The Hurt Locker playing when you make your decision.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bhs

bhs Read Only Funster

My sniffer dog tells me there are no explosives, or biscuits!

Have cut the wires to the LED, still here

The connectors are female bullet type, as if something has been connected, why would you terminate cable or install stuff in the rear light cluster? Unless it was something like a tracker needing rf path? bit vulnerable there though?
    The van has a fully wired towbar seperate to these wires and it has a functional Strikeback alarm, shan't worry too much a lot can happen in 15 years, you only have to look at my undercarriage to see that! (am going to try to follow the trunking though!)