LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
When we picked the van up on Tuesday it had just been serviced by E S Hartley near Liverpool - however on arrival home (near Huntingdon) the oil filler cap was missing.

Checking the dip stick suggests there’s no /very little oil in the engine.

Aside from the issue of “blame” for the event, what oil do I need to put in it. I read various notes on here about sticking to the “official” Selenia oil - something about a 0-30w fully synthetic oil, but then I get lost in a myriad of sun specs

The engine is the 2.3 Multijet 130 Euro 6 (No Adblue) on a LHD chassis

The van is 4 years old and just had its MOT and I don’t want to prejudice any warranty that may be in place

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
I take it the previous owner kept the invoice for the service which should have said what oil they used 😠 Does it not say in the Fiat manual ? or does it just make it even more confusing 😀

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
When we picked the van up on Tuesday it had just been serviced by E S Hartley near Liverpool - however on arrival home (near Huntingdon) the oil filler cap was missing.

That is extremely worrying. You drove how far with potentially no/little oil in the engine?

Sounds like they drained it, but didn't refill. Check that they put the sump plug back in.
I would be seriously concerned about the damage done to the engine, but I don't know the distance?

Have you notified the garage?

Nov 21, 2021
Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G690D
Exp
Since 2020

Aside from the issue of “blame” for the event, what oil do I need to put in it. I read various notes on here about sticking to the “official” Selenia oil - something about a 0-30w fully synthetic oil, but then I get lost in a myriad of sun specs

The engine is the 2.3 Multijet 130 Euro 6 (No Adblue) on a LHD chassis

The van is 4 years old and just had its MOT and I don’t want to prejudice any warranty that may be in place
Personally, I wouldn’t touch it until I had spoken to to E S Hartley to see what they intend to do about it!

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
It's 0.30 same as mine don't use 5.30

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it lost its oil then the engine bay will be a saturated mess....it can only come out of the filler hole.
If it never got any put in then it will be as clean as normal.
Whatever oil you buy keep the reciept to show the garage so they can apologise profusely and grovel as they reimburse you.
Why should YOU have to pay twice for oil.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
This is from the handbook for our 2018 Ducato 2.3 multi jet 150 based van…

IMG_0525.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
5W-30 will be perfect - unless you are living above the arctic circle.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Did the red oil light come on at all on your journey home, if not, you might be lucky, but if you're capable, drain what oil is left, just to see how much is actually left in the engine, in case you're gonna have a battle on your hands later on due to premature engine wear ?

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
Our Fiat Ducato 2.3 150bhp March 2016 Euro5+

IMG_0123.png

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Codge our Ducato states 0-30 and it costs a fortune. It’s all to do with emissions as 5-30 that every man and his dog uses is a tad dirtier. I’d be more worried about what they didn’t put in it to be honest 😳

OP
OP
OldCodger

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
That is extremely worrying. You drove how far with potentially no/little oil in the engine?

Sounds like they drained it, but didn't refill. Check that they put the sump plug back in.
I would be seriously concerned about the damage done to the engine, but I don't know the distance?

Have you notified the garage?
We drove 200 miles. There was oil on the bottom tip of the dipstick - I added a litre of oil and it back to between the marks!

OP
OP
OldCodger

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I spoke again to E S Hartley and they say they only use 5w30 oil** - so when they, as the Carthago dealer, used it I decided to use a 0W30 ACEA C2 spec.

** quote “we have a big tank of the stuff”

OP
OP
OldCodger

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
If it lost its oil then the engine bay will be a saturated mess....it can only come out of the filler hole.
There was some evidence of splashed oil on the metal above the filler cap, and “wet oil” on the sump tray.. so some escaped, but see above, it only took a litre to reach “normal limits”

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I spoke again to E S Hartley and they say they only use 5w30 oil** - so when they, as the Carthago dealer, used it I decided to use a 0W30 ACEA C2 spec.

** quote “we have a big tank of the stuff”
IMHO I think I would be taking this up with them as they should use the correct oil and also looks like they did not replace filler cap. 🙄

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
We drove 200 miles. There was oil on the bottom tip of the dipstick - I added a litre of oil and it back to between the marks!
Ok. the 200 mile bit would be worrying but if you have oil at the bottom of the dip stick you are fine and 1 litre down should be ok in my opinion for what that is worth (probably nothing lol ).

There was some evidence of splashed oil on the metal above the filler cap, and “wet oil” on the sump tray.. so some escaped, but see above, it only took a litre to reach “normal limits”
Seems to me the mechanic had a brain fart and forgot to put the cap back in. Forgiveable error for a youngster. But mechanic concerned needs telling with a warning that this could have been incredibly serious. Hopefully you let the garage know so they can add checks/steps to their procedures. Maybe even provide you with some sign of contrition to back up the apology at least refund the cost of the oil if nothing else.

Next question is. did you find the cap in the engine bay or have you had to locate a replacement?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: I will add. All companies are run and operated by humans. Humans make mistakes. It is how a company resolves the error that makes the difference in my book.
Providing the company doesn't lie to me, try to blame me, avoid responsibility I am ok with an error being made. An apology is usually all that is needed if it has not caused me any problems or expense.

If there is any expense involved then covering the cost is enough for me providing it is done quickly, with no fuss in a way the is easy for me. ie no vouchers or credit notes etc.

OldCodger relieved this is not serious for you. Hope they keep you on side :)

OP
OP
OldCodger

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
IMHO I think I would be taking this up with them as they should use the correct oil and also looks like they did not replace filler cap. 🙄
I agree, but technically it was the previous owner who had the service done prior to the sale to me.

OP
OP
OldCodger

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Next question is. did you find the cap in the engine bay or have you had to locate a replacement?
I have fashioned a bung with a bit plastic and some Duct Tape… :whistle2:

Replacement is coming from flea bay on Monday… The garage deny having found a missing filler cap!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I agree, but technically it was the previous owner who had the service done prior to the sale to me.
Ah that changes things. You bought the van from someone who had paid to have it serviced? Sorry I misunderstood.

If there is no damage then If it were me I would just move on. I would perhaps send a quick note to the garage concerned just so they are aware of the potentially serious error but let them know it is for informational purposes only.

Still, happy you don't have a knackered engine :) (y) That would have been bad :(

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
But the dealer should have done a pre delivery inspection before giving it to you so they need to take a bit of responsibility?😊🤔

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The garage deny having found a missing filler cap!
They won't have found one. Everytime I have seen this job done the cap gets perched somewhere in the engine bay while the task is done. When the van is driven off it will drop out somewhere enroute.
You might even get lucky and find it lodged somewhere in the engine bay.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back