MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (82 Viewers)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Nowt wrong with the caliper though . Everything moves freely on it. And it isn't that old by the looks of it.
But it keeps giving problems probably sticks when it gets hot something distorting probably.

Do as you are told just replace it boy.
😊

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
As long as he brings me 30 bottles of a decent French Red I might let him, 50 bottles would clinch it. :LOL:
20240509_102709.jpg
1.5ltr for €5, fill up with this Tam,your carpark attendant will be more than happy...😉

Yamas🍻

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
But it keeps giving problems probably sticks when it gets hot something distorting probably.

Do as you are told just replace it boy.
😊

I might well have to ...BUT I'd like to make sure it's not something else causing the problem first. They're no cheap for this van.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Haven't taken many pics the last few days , there's a couple on my drone of nafplion but I've not downloaded them to my phone yet . These are the only ones I've taken. Grey with showers yesterday and it looks much the same this morning, going to move again today .
20240506_162009.jpg
20240506_162909.jpg
20240507_085831.jpg
20240507_090643.jpg
20240507_224137.jpg
20240507_224159.jpg
20240508_164503.jpg
20240508_164841.jpg
20240509_100038.jpg
20240509_100554.jpg
20240509_102307.jpg
20240509_145107.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Make sure your handbrake cable isn't jamming up on that side Tam and sticking the brake on ?
Just welded up an adapter from an inch square drive socket to a half inch square so I can torque stuff up via my multiplier, some of the boy's forestry equipment is that tight that I think that the garage moves when I go to undo it !
20240510_100231.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Make sure your handbrake cable isn't jamming up on that side Tam and sticking the brake on ?
Just welded up an adapter from an inch square drive socket to a half inch square so I can torque stuff up via my multiplier, some of the boy's forestry equipment is that tight that I think that the garage moves when I go to undo it !
View attachment 895344
Aye the handbrake is separate jock it's got shoes inside the disc/drum for handbrake . The pads are just the service brake. I need to adjust the handbrake too though

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Aye the handbrake is separate jock it's got shoes inside the disc/drum for handbrake . The pads are just the service brake. I need to adjust the handbrake too though
Tam, have you checked that the caliper carrier is not bent or distorted or even not allowing the pads to run true to disc.
That could cause one side to drag.

Clutching at straws I know but it must be something obvious that is causing the caliper not to equalise on the disc after brake release.

Will be interesting to know when you do eventually find the problem.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Tam, have you checked that the caliper carrier is not bent or distorted or even not allowing the pads to run true to disc.

Clutching at straws I know but it must be something obvious that is causing the caliper not to equalise on the disc after brake release.

I'm hoping it was just down to the fact that the guy who fitted the pads in Turkey never cleaned and regreased the sliders.
I removed them cleaned all the old crap off them and regreased them this time. I will see how it goes for now and I will remove the rear wheels again later and see what the score is .

I've a dodgy slider on the rh front too that needs replaced, they are notorious for sticking and really should be removed cleaned and regreased more regularly than just when pads are changed. Especially as this van had sat around a lot doing nothing before I bought it. Getting the rear wheels off has always been a problem which is why I've not spent anytime cleaning everything up on this like I did with previous vans . If I hadn't felt I was inconveniencing that tyre fitter guy the other day I'd have spent a bit more time and really cleaned up all the brake components but I just wanted it back on the road without the grinding.

If I had one of those torque multiplier things with me I'd have the back wheels off at the next decent floored carpark I stayed in and give both sides a good going over. But I know I'd still have bother getting these wheels off as I no longer have an extension bar to reach the nuts on the rear wheels.

Been up and down a lot of hills today as we moved further on towards monemvasia, notice a difference in the hill climbing so I think the brake was sticking on before and it's not at the minute.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
But thats 2014-2019 and mine is an old 1998 .

None of the wheel specs are the same .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Aye that's the right year but doesn't seem to cover the 35.12 . For some reason every one of those spec sheets I find quotes a 5 stud wheel pattern but mine has 6

Sep 28, 2021
Worcester, UK
Funster No
MH
LMC premium I650G
Exp
35y tugging + 2 in Motorhome
Many years ago had a Kia Sorent new, from day one on a long run the L/H rear was running hot short runs no problem, it went back to the dealers about half a dozen time, new calliper, pads and balance valve still same issue, being an engineer decided to have a look myself, took the flex hose to calliper off, with a air line blew through one way ok blew through the other way ( return and had back pressure, cut open hose and found when manufactured a slither of rubber had detached from in side the hose causing a one way valve 😡😡🤔

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Many years ago had a Kia Sorent new, from day one on a long run the L/H rear was running hot short runs no problem, it went back to the dealers about half a dozen time, new calliper, pads and balance valve still same issue, being an engineer decided to have a look myself, took the flex hose to calliper off, with a air line blew through one way ok blew through the other way ( return and had back pressure, cut open hose and found when manufactured a slither of rubber had detached from in side the hose causing a one way valve 😡😡🤔
Yes when I had the wheel bearing replaced on that side for its mot the mechanic had clamped the flexi hose on that side and it then caused the brakes to sieze on .. the flexi hose was then replaced and as far as I was aware the issue was solved....but then it siezed up or jammed on again at somepoint and caused the outside pad to wear dramatically and eat in to the disc in Turkey... fitted new pads and it was OK again for a while till the other day it did the same.

It's been a recurring problem on that rear side. BUT neither the garage that did the mot work or the one in Turkey did anything with the sliders or caliper pistons. When I took them out the other day there was very little grease on the sliders etc. And while they weren't siezed they were a little sticky. I wondered if it could be the balance valve myself but haven't checked that out . I know the pistons and the sliders are now moving freely at least .

Sep 28, 2021
Worcester, UK
Funster No
MH
LMC premium I650G
Exp
35y tugging + 2 in Motorhome
Yes when I had the wheel bearing replaced on that side for its mot the mechanic had clamped the flexi hose on that side and it then caused the brakes to sieze on .. the flexi hose was then replaced and as far as I was aware the issue was solved....but then it siezed up or jammed on again at somepoint and caused the outside pad to wear dramatically and eat in to the disc in Turkey... fitted new pads and it was OK again for a while till the other day it did the same.

It's been a recurring problem on that rear side. BUT neither the garage that did the mot work or the one in Turkey did anything with the sliders or caliper pistons. When I took them out the other day there was very little grease on the sliders etc. And while they weren't siezed they were a little sticky. I wondered if it could be the balance valve myself but haven't checked that out . I know the pistons and the sliders are now moving freely at least .
The balance vale usually will have 2 pistons and a one way valve in each piston and a spring, when pressure is applied it closes the valve and when the pressure comes off the one way valve allows the calliper pressure to release, I have seen these cause issues with age, after a long run check the temp on both wheels to confirm drag😃

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

Good call, it’s often something simple that you don’t think to look at.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I wondered if it could be the balance valve myself but haven't checked that out .
Yes I had a problem with that on my fiat. water in brake fluid had caused internal corrosion.I took the guts out for temporary fix until I obtained a new one

try a download on here
https://www.scribd.com/

for your model

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I had a similar problem with my Renault master van , tried everything, new fluid , new sliders , new callipers, new handbrake cables still sticking (but only slightly ) one day I deliberately popped the piston out the calliper , it was rusty inside , another new set of calliper’s & all has been good ever since

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Fokianos - I remember it well.

I had anchored off and rowed ashore. I met a very friendly Austrian family who rented a villa on the beach. They invited me to dinner and sat me down on the terrace with a pre-prandial drink while they changed.

There was a garden shower in front of me, where suddenly appeared a 20 year-old with a gorgeous figure who stripped off under the shower.

Memories, but they are worth keeping.

All Tam can show us is naked dogs. :LOL:

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

I had anchored off and rowed ashore. I met a very friendly Austrian family who rented a villa on the beach. They invited me to dinner and sat me down on the terrace with a pre-prandial drink while they changed.

There was a garden shower in front of me, where suddenly appeared a 20 year-old with a gorgeous figure who stripped off under the shower.

The villa must have been knocked down lol ... there's only 2 beach bars here now and no 20 year olds with gorgeous figures 😁

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Austrians/Germans can't wait to get their kit off. In Croatia a couple of German girls in VW camper went swimming in their bikinis then just stripped off to dry. 😊

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back