Mini PIR lamps for motorhome

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Minxy Girl, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Hubby bought couple of these to use in the MH:

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIR-IR-Au...2314847?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&hash=item4610f6b6df

They work off a single AA battery and being LED will last a long time.

Hubby ordered one which arrived today - it looks quite smart and despite only having 4 LEDs it gives out a very good clear light - it will be put in the corridor near the bed in the camper so that if one of us gets up to go to the loo in the night we will be able to see but the light isn't so bright as to wake the other.

We're very pleased with it so he's ordered some more, one will be mount on the outside of the camper under the fixed awning (to give it some protection from the weather) so that when we come back to the van after dark it will light up to illuminate our steps etc without having to fiddle around for the light switch. We'll use another at our static caravan in the corridor again for 'nightly loo' visits. No doubt there are other uses for them too ...

There are also other types/designs so lots to choose from ... I am very tempted to 'treat' myself to one of these ... totally impractical but look great and fun:

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smile-Fac...64291912&tpos=top&ttype=price&talgo=undefined

• Like Like x 1
  2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Incredibly cheap but I wonder how long they last on the battery? The led bulbs won't take much power but the motion sensing bit will be on all the time. Would be OK with a rechargeable battery I think.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Had a similar idea for a few years ago - not so economical as yours though - fantastic idea - we have one each side of the bed and on the stairs to the loo for the same reason not waking the other one up - would hate to be without them now

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Was thinking the same thing.

5. Minxy Girl

The lights only come on when it is dark, so during the day they won't activate, inside the camper during the night they will be triggered minimally as we'd normally have the lights on if we haven't gone to bed. As for the one for the outside, as the unit will be angled downwards along the side of the van it is unlikely to be triggered by other things in the vicinity, ie only if you get within a few feet of the van. As batteries are so cheap nowadays (a pack of 16 AA ones in Poundland (Kodak I think - special packs of 10 with 6 free!) I'm not gonna worry. Rechargeable batteries aren't that cheap and don't actually hold their charge that long if they are switched on/off constantly or left out in the 'cold' (I know from using them with one of my cameras).

6. pappajohn

You miss the point.

The PIR circuit is active 24hrs a day unless the battery is removed..
    if it wasnt it couldnt detect movement.
    the actual light will only be triggered at night because of the electronics but the sensor is permanantly active.

Rechargeables are rated at 1.3v......dry cell batteries are 1.5v.
    thats why they appear not to hold charge for long....they are only half charged in comparison.

7. Minxy Girl

No, I agree that the PIR will be active but that will be a minimal draw, IMV it's when the lights come on that the main draw will take place and as I said with AA batteries being so cheap I'm not gonna worry.

8. Minxy Girl

Due to the 'battery life' issues being mentioned above, just out of interest how often do you have to replace the batteries in your 'not so economic' ones?

9. pappajohn

I agree about the cost of batteries but the current draw for the motion sensor is a 24hr drain.......using power in daylight when none is needed

Be interesting to see future updates on this as to actual battery life.

10. tjay

tjay Funster

bought 3 of them 5-6 weeks ago, as you say dead handy, auto on / auto off, on at the side door and 1 meach in the front door footwells, works a treat, recommend for those wee small dark places.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

stick one inside the toilet lid lol

12. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

I brought some 12 volt pir switching units last year, one is rigged to the living area mood lighting that comes on as you get out of bed, very handy as the bed is over the garage and helps you negotiate the ladder safely ,
    the second one comes on as you enter the toilet and also switches on the sog
    Extractor and a small line of led's under the sink,
    The pir's have adjustable timers to suit the use you put them too,

13. phil1946

phil1946 Funster

Have had one similar to this in our RV bathroom for the last few years. I seem to change the battery about twice a year - pence really for the benefit.

14. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

Just purchased 2:)

15. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

It would be interesting to put a milli amp meter in series with the battery to see the drain on standby and with the light on.

16. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Very handy, thanks for posting:xThumb:

17. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

and when it falls off :oops: