Microchip reader. (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We are thinking of carrying a microchip reader so we can check before leaving home. Our vet doesn’t have a surgery and I don’t want to pay a call out fee, a reader would be cheaper. Can anyone suggest a make and model, please.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I don’t understand why / or what you are checking for.

Chips don’t tend to just go missing, and if they did and you needed a new one putting in, then you would need to get a replacement passport or alter it, which you won’t have time to if you are checking the day before travelling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Get a good one if you are going to spend money. Firstly, chips can 'migrate' which means they are not always exactly where they were placed I've seen X Rays of the shoulder region of dogs with artefacts which turn out to be a microchip. We used to have a very thick skinned (literally) Labrador. Before any trip I used to take him up to the Vets surgery to check the chip was still there, this was because the number of times it couldn't be found at the dock at Portsmouth without lots of searching, not in this case because it had moved but I am sure because of lower quality readers.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I don’t understand why / or what you are checking for.

Chips don’t tend to just go missing, and if they did and you needed a new one putting in, then you would need to get a replacement passport or alter it, which you won’t have time to if you are checking the day before travelling.
I’m checking as chips do tend to migrate. I want to check it now rather than when we are due to go away. We haven’t been to Europe for 12 months.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
One of our cats had his chip migrate along his back. The vets didn't have too many issues trying to find it. But it did cause an issue with his chip feeder, because he pretty much had to be standing in his bowl for it to trigger and open the flap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back