MF views on leaving your dog / dogs in your motorhome.

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Daisie, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Daisie

Daisie Funster

As a dog owner and motor homer I am surprised when chatting how many people leave there dog/dogs in the motorhome when they go out and away from the campsite. We only ever left our dogs in the motorhome when on site , either sitting at another motorhome or if there was some sort of entertainment on site and this was usually in the evening.

2. Vic

Vic Funster

The only time we leave ours is when parked at supermarket car parks while we are shopping. In this situation, the more noise he makes the better.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

It depends on the dog I suppose. Some dogs hate being alone, others aren't bothered and you can easily leave them alone for an hour or so. Problem is some can't be sure what the dog does when they are not there and if they bark that can be a real nuisance on a site. If you know they don't make a nuisance of themselves then I don't think leaving them for an hour or two is a real problem.

• Like Like x 6
  4. maz

maz Funster

We full time so leaving our dog in the van at times is no different to you leaving your dog at home. Most of the time she goes out with us but on those occasions when she can't she just settles down in the van.

• Like Like x 11
  5. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

I'm sure this has been posted before - but is a giggle

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

I don't see the problem with leaving a dog for an hour or so, maybe not two hours, as long as the dog is ok. A motorhome has a lot more air circulation-leave the roof open-so will feel cooler.
    If a dog is known to bark when left that could be a problem for others and the dog.
    Ours gets left when we shop and we have left her when going out for a meal where she's not welcome but she's ok with it. We live in our van so I suppose it's slightly different as she is always at home!

• Like Like x 3
  7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

We left nine month old Charlie on his own while we went for a pizza at the camp restaurant a couple weeks ago. No serious harm done but "All the Aires France" is now called " ll he Air a ce" :)

OI000193~4.jpg

• Funny Funny x 24
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Ven

Ven Funster

When you full time you have to leave them sometimes, and occasionally you want to go somewhere together that is impractical with a dog just as you would in a house. Indeed we went in to Weymouth today for a couple of hours or so. We are pretty sure Misty sleeps while we are out (we hear her jump down & her bed is warm) and the first question I asked our nearest neighbour on returning today was did she bark at all? Apparently she did not.

Common sense dictates if there's any chance of the van getting too hot or you are in a location where you do not feel 100% then we would not even consider leaving her.

90% of the time she comes with us which is a lot easier when we are in France/ Spain/ Portugal.

• Like Like x 7
  9. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

The MH is no different to being at home. Ours are fine being left, they've each got their own favourite spot and just sleep.

We'll leave them for 2 or 3 hours if we're going out for a drink or to eat, usually at night after they've been out with us all day. I wouldn't leave them shut in the van in the heat of the day though, especially abroad, whether we were around or not.

Rarely ever stay on campsites though and never ever use them in the UK so don't know what the rules are for those.

On aires, or other parking places, I don't mind if they do bark when people walk past. It makes the van even less attractive to break in to.

• Like Like x 7
  10. RogerThat

RogerThat Funster

1999 Swift Sundance 590RL. North West, UK.
    Sound advice :)

I think common sense wins every time (y)

• Like Like x 3
  11. WillH

WillH Funster

Leave my dog in the van regularly, he's a good alarm, if he wakes up. Usually find him curled up on the passenger seat especially if it's catching the sun.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ranger

Ranger Funster

We have a temperature monitor called Animalarm which texts you the temp in the van if it gets too high or you can ask it for the temp reading at any time, very comforting.

• Useful Useful x 7
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

I've always left my dogs in the 'van. With plenty of water, blinds closed against the possibility of sunshine (!) and a comfy sofa to lie on, they've always been fine.

The new pup, Buzz, did get bored and totally destroy a box of tissues - it looked like a snowstorm had hit when we opened the door :LOL:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Sas r us

Sas r us Funster

Unfortunately some don't have it.....:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  15. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

One of mine is too lazy to bark when someone is near the van so he sounds the horn - in fact he does a little dance on it. Most passers-by find this amusing so they stop to watch. Which makes him worse. Last time this happened our neighbour came over to see me as I returned to the van and said 'Your dog has burned out the horn. Thank God!' And he had. I blame Fiat for allowing use of the horn with the ignition Off.

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. The Wino

The Wino Funster

We worried it might get too hot at first but even in summer in France if you park the least glazed side of the motorhome to the sun (in our case the rear) and open the vents its fine. I do get worried some do gooder will see him in the motorhome and break in.

17. Allanm

Allanm Funster

On warm days, we leave ours in the van with the generator running the air conditioner. Haven't had any complaints about the dogs barking, so they must be fine....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

Most people wouldn't leave their children so why would they leave their dog(s)?

• Like Like x 1
  19. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

We leave our two dogs for two or three hours, always after a good walk, or swim if abroad

Air con and remote monitor on, what could be the problem?

• Like Like x 2
  20. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We used to leave Susie in the van sometimes but never when it was too hot.
    It was her home so she felt comfortable. I once used a camera to record what she did. She just went to sleep between waiting at the window for us.
    Kids I wouldn't leave alone.that's different.

• Like Like x 1