Mercedes Sprinter chassis wheel balancing (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
evening

having real problems getting a tyre place to fit tyres with balancing, plenty will do the tyres but all say they don't have the right adaptor for the hole centre on my sprinter wheels

the wheels have needed balancing for a while, now front tyres rubbed on edges, need new for MOT on Monday, have tried to get local places to balance wheels, been to about 5 nobody has the right centre adaptor, the wheels have a hole about 6" dia which seems to be the issue

cant believe it is this hard

motorhome is already booked into Mertrux for brake service and MOT on Monday, will ask them if they do balancing, I did ask them to do the tyres, they don't do tyres, but maybe they might balance them, not likely but another option

I thought this would have been one of the easiest jobs I had to sort :(

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I couldn't find anywhere in Glasgow to do mine either,one of the places i called asked if i was getting any vibration and when I said no they said don't bother then.:eek:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Out of balance won't cause uneven wear. Well, it could, but the vibration through the steering would make it undriveable long before any tyre wear took place. Whilst I would always balance my wheels I certainly wouldn't worry about a delay in doing so if there's no steering vibration.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
As mentioned above imbalanced enough to damage tyres would be undrivable. You have a geometry issue, most likely it is simply tracking. Get the whole lot done together, new tyres, balance(if required) and tracking.
As per Brian you could do a lot worse than speak to Brian of brian and jo.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Out of balance won't cause uneven wear. Well, it could, but the vibration through the steering would make it undriveable long before any tyre wear took place. Whilst I would always balance my wheels I certainly wouldn't worry about a delay in doing so if there's no steering vibration.

I would take the same stand as you on this, I presume I have 2 different issues, tracking will have gone off and caused the scrubbing of the edges, but the vibration through the steering wheel we get is probably a balancing issue

It has worked as an inbuilt speed limiter, up to 60 mph virtually no issues, around 65 mph the vibration is awful, but normally for us 60 is ample, that is Mercedes speedo speed, Tom Tom says 57 mph when Merc say 60

I will get the tyres done for the MOT then see (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Have you spoken to @Brian and Jo?

As mentioned above imbalanced enough to damage tyres would be undrivable. You have a geometry issue, most likely it is simply tracking. Get the whole lot done together, new tyres, balance(if required) and tracking.
As per Brian you could do a lot worse than speak to Brian of brian and jo.

I hadn't thought of them as they are so far away from us

Will be speaking to our Mercedes service agents in a bit to see if they can do the tracking, sure they will, they might even do balancing even if they don't supply tyres

Thanks for the suggestion, maybe Brian will offer advice on why it seems to be so hard to find someone who can do it, I do think I might need a more commercial set up than a car place maybe

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The cost of a large Boss for a balancing machine is circa £600 with vat
Depends on how many sprinter wheels you anticipate balancing:Eeek:

We bought a large one a few years ago for twin wheel Transits, will check out the suitability for Sprinters and report back
if your in a hole there are alternatives
Balance beans for example HERE
Geo
Please note I am in no way connected, or promoting or endorsing this product, just pointing out alternative solutions for tricky wheels and tyre combinations

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Have you tried ATS, as I understand they have commercial tyre depots nationwide.
They balanced my wheels and did the tracking alignment too.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Have you tried ATS, as I understand they have commercial tyre depots nationwide.
They balanced my wheels and did the tracking alignment too.

not been to ATS, waiting for a call back from Mercedes, then if still needed will start ringing round the bigger boys, usually go to local independents for better price and service

I am now a little troubled that when our current tyres were fitted they were never balanced by our 'local independent' three years ago :( but they have changed hands since, possibly now knowing the value of the part, the adaptor vanished with the old owner, but they cant do balancing now, hence my search for a new fitter

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Nice to touch bases David,good luck.dont forget about the coffee if your passing through shropshire.(y)
Brian & Jo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back