Medical/repatriation Insurance

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by John & Joan, Oct 19, 2010.

1. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

I have been trying to locate sensible health/repatriation insurance should anything go wrong on our trip to Spain starting in November to May.

I got a quote through the C&CC of £100 each which we paid but we had to then contact their Medical Screening line.

After I gave them my medical history they wanted another £537.97 for me because I have Hypertension (well controlled) and COPD (controlled by inhalers) and the trip was to last 6 months. I didn't bother giving them Joans medical history.

Does anyone know of a repartiation/medical cover at a reasonable price or do people just risk going without this cover.

Does EHIC cover for treatment in Spain? Our cards expire October 2011

John ​

2. frogijock

frogijock Funster

Hi John,
    Your EHIC will cover you for treatment on the Spanish Health Service, I do not think that it covers you for repatriation to the UK.
    Bill

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi John

Foreign office advice

Spain

The Form E111 is no longer valid. You should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before leaving the UK. The EHIC is not a substitute for medical and travel insurance but entitles you to necessary medical treatment on the same terms as Spanish nationals. You will not be covered for medical repatriation, ongoing medical treatment or non-urgent treatment. See our EHIC page and the NHS - About the EHIC page.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/europe/spain

4. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I trust to the travel insurance provided on my bank account , we fortunately don't have a medical history that may cause a problem.

5. Marjorie

Marjorie Read Only Funster

sadly I had to arrange the repatriation of a relatives body from italy a few years ago and the first thing the insurance people wanted before doing anything was a full certified copy of her medical records...so unless you are completly truthful the insurance will be void
    all the best with your trip
    marjorie

6. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

As far as I am aware the ADAC plus breakdown cover gives repatriation for medical treatment but am not sure about returning a body.
    No questions asked re medical history at all.

7. movan

movan Funster Life Member

John, I don't know if you are on a medical Health site for yours and your wife's conditions, but I know that a lot of my friends received good advice from Breast cancer care site re insurance for abroad. It may be that you could go to your own particular ailment site and ask on there to be given good advice. Good luck.:thumb:

8. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Get a quote on-line from www.columbusdirect.com we used them for our trip to the States for 4.5 months and for worldwide it is a lot more expensive. We put in all of our ailments and be honest with them and see what you come up with. Ours was less the £500.00.

Nigel and Pamala