Media Viewing

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by meringueman, Feb 25, 2014.

1. meringueman

meringueman Read Only Funster

With the change of the satellites etc I would ask for help in deciding what to go for in my motorhome Eldiss 145
    I would like to have television below Bordeaux so I need to subscribe somewhere I guess
    At present I have not purchased a dish
    I have sky at home can I upgrade for example to use a box in motorhome
    What's the BBC subscript channels like
    Any ideas of sub costs :Doh:

2. seanoo

seanoo Funster

no need to upgrade sky , just take your skybox from home or get yourself a pace minibox 12v jobbie (takes up less space and is 12v) and put your card in. all your sky channels will work in any sky box except the premium channels ie sky sports and sky movies. if you have the premium channels and you want to use a different box than the one you have at home you will need to pair the card with the box . quick phonecall to sky to sort this but dont tell them your going abroad ! hope this helps sean

3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

There was a long thread on this a couple of weeks ago. Worth reading and the Funster SatandPCguy probably knows more than anyone and gives advice regarding which satellite / beam combination is carrying what. If you are looking to get the 'usual' free English channels, you need to get Astra 2E Spot beam.
    http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/tv-satellite/78894-new-sky-footprint.html#post927495

Also have a look at this map:
    https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?m...l=54.876607,-4.064941&spn=10.228184,19.753418

It suggests that a 1 metre dish will pull in the Astra 2E spot beam in SW France.

• Like Like x 1
  4. seanoo

seanoo Funster

forgot to say i have just come up to valencia from cabo de gata. 90% of my sky channels were easily viewable down south and almost 100% in valencia where i am now and thats on my oyster 85 cm dish. no bbcs chan4 or 5 of course but at least i have something to watch on sky if i want to.

5. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

Try this for C4 and others.

http://www.satandpcguy.com/blog/2014/02/lost-channel-4-spain-sky-subscriptin-try/

6. Satandpcguy

Satandpcguy Funster

The main UK BBC channels are all subscription free.
    So it makes no difference if you subscribe or not - you will receive (or not receive!) the same signals.

BBC Entertainment is on 9 or 10 east - and is a subscription service designed for expats.
    It does not carry movies or sport, and many programmes are very old, or delayed by several days.
    And it is only one channels for a over 100 pounds a year charge.

I live 70kms south of Valencia, and my 80x85cm dish gets BBC ITV C4s and five's - which is motorised so I do not know if it is accurately aligned!
    but there is a weak time period between 0030 and 0730 when the 2E signal do drop off a lot.
    And on my travels around the xativa area the signals do seem to be a tad stronger there than on the coast!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. seanoo

seanoo Funster