Maybe you shouldn't drink that water! (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If it tastes ok out of a sealed bottle and it's cold it's fresh enough for me.
But then I also like black pudding and tripe.

Most of it does taste OK, as does most tap water. What I don't understand is how anyone can possibly think bottled water is fresh.

I like black pudding too, had some this morning (y) You're on your own with tripe though :sick:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We stopped drinking & brewing tea from the tank as the tea always had a layer of scum on it, even with fresh water on board
That's most likely to be lime scale, a water filter would help remove it, though it does no harm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We stopped drinking & brewing tea from the tank as the tea always had a layer of scum on it, even with fresh water on board

That's most likely to be lime scale, a water filter would help remove it, though it does no harm

It's just hard water. As Robert says it's basically what causes limescale. Our tap water at home is like it so we use a filter jug for water that's going in the kettle. If I'm drinking cold water or squash though I don't worry about it. It's tasteless and harmless.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Just tucking into his dinner ..
PSX_20160224_205518.jpg

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

In your house the mains water stop valve is normally below the kitchen sink.... why?

.....Because fresh water from the mains was considered better for drinking/cooking than from a tank sat in your loft

I fill a container from my sink tap before any trip, or use bottled water for drinking if I run out, for cooking I would happily use tank water ......... boiled

I would only drink water from the tank as a last resort......

.........after running out of beer or wine...

:):)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We don't drink from the tank , only bottled water.

I do boil a kettle from tank water though to make tea.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
In your house the mains water stop valve is normally below the kitchen sink.... why?

.....Because fresh water from the mains was considered better for drinking/cooking than from a tank sat in your loft

I fill a container from my sink tap before any trip, or use bottled water for drinking if I run out, for cooking I would happily use tank water ......... boiled

I would only drink water from the tank as a last resort......

.........after running out of beer or wine...

:):)

The tank in your loft is not sealed and can easily get contaminated
The tank in your MH is sealed, so just like a large bottle
It's relatively small too, and is likely to be replenished daily or every other day

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
It's relatively small too, and is likely to be replenished daily or every other day

The tank is not sealed..... the pump could not work .....in a vacuum

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The tank is not sealed..... the pump could not work .....in a vacuum
I agree that it's vented, but its not open topped like a roof tank is
Furthermore it's not in direct sunlight, unlike bottled water, which could have been stored in the sun for ages

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I agree that it's vented, but its not open topped like a roof tank is
Furthermore it's not in direct sunlight, unlike bottled water, which could have been stored in the sun for ages

My tank (at home) is in the loft........... no sunlight there...... tank water will go stale.... OK for boiling, washing but not (for me) drinking...might be safe but has a 'taste'

(y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
tank water will go stale

(y)
That's my point though, it won't go stale, because you fill your tank today with clean fresh water, and drink it the same day - or maybe tomorrow.

Buy a bottle of water and who knows how long its been hanging around in the shop :sick:

You stick with your old bottled stuff and I'll stick with fresh pure water from my tank (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The tank in your loft is not sealed and can easily get contaminated
Surely the tank in the loft of a house is to feed the hot water system, the cold will be direct from the mains.

And yes we drink the tank water, why not.

Martin

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
For anyone thinking its OK not to drink tank water but are washing up or cleaning your teeth with it, you are then in contact with everything that is in your tank (according to the association of environmental health officers). So you had better be 100% confident it's OK!

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I have taken water from rivers, lakes, parks, cemetaries, public toilets, water butts and taps sited in dubious places or labelled as "not for drinking". All of it goes in the main tank. I can be casual about this as I am very careful to keep drinking (and teeth cleaning) water separate, and only taken from hygienic and reliable sources.

As for taking water from the tank, poor chlorination of water or a buildup of contaminants in the plumbing may not readily be detected, necessitating boiling as a standard procedure. Bacterial contamination can be overcome this way but not mineral sensitivity. For this a water filter is the best option. Of course some people are more sensitive than others, possibly due to a different mix of gut bacteria.

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
I am no expert in this field but as I understand it tap water contains LCG or liquified chlorine gas. This is the way that microbes and bacteria are controlled. When you turn the tap on and the water meets the atmosphere the chlorine gas is dispersed into the air. With this in mind the storage of water after this release of chlorine becomes important if you are to prevent contamination. I have no idea how the bottled water producers keep their water safe to drink but quite frankly I am in awe of the trust that people place in it.
The dog is aware of the taste and smell of tap water and it's seen by them as tainted.
Just as an aside and to bring in the Germans, they were considered to be the first to use chlorine of lime at the turn of the nineteenth century to purify their water.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Surely the tank in the loft of a house is to feed the hot water system, the cold will be direct from the mains.

And yes we drink the tank water, why not.

Martin
Years ago it was commonplace for many of the cold water taps in a house to be fed from the tank in the loft. I've seen loft tanks with dead birds in them - yuk !

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Before taking delivery of our boat we went to a boat show with the intention of buying a filter system for the cold water. The chap demonstrating them had a filter system that was fed from a tank filled with canal water (where does so called grey water go from canal boats?) and just to make things interesting he emptied a bottle of Quink ink into the tank. He drew a glass of water through the filter system and offered it to me. It was lovely to drink and beautifully clear with no off taste what-so-ever. That is when we bought our first Seagull IV filter system.

Moving on a dozen or so years and we bought our van and I bought our second Seagull IV and plumbed it in.

Would never buy bottled water - have you noticed it has a "best before" date on it? This is water that fell onto the earth many thousands of years ago and it gets put into a dubious plastic bottle and then has to be used within a short time.

So it's Seagull IV (AKA Natures Pure) for me.

Dave

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I think you will find that many years ago the hot water system was fed from a tank in the loft but cold water came straight from the mains.

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
In the same way that you shouldn't drink from the hot tap in your house you shouldn't drink from the tank in your motorhome, however as long as it hasn't been sat for weeks or months and you clean the tank every now and again it should be fine.

Due to the age of our MH (20years old) we drink bottled water but will make tea and coffee from the tank water and we will cook using it.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
We use Aquatabs disolved in a glass then added to the tank when abroad or if worried in any way. I have always felt bottled water was the biggest con out and only buy it when absolutely necessary.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I think you will find that many years ago the hot water system was fed from a tank in the loft but cold water came straight from the mains.
I have had homes built from the 1920s through to the 1970s. All had a water header tank that fed all of the hot and cold taps, except the kitchen cold tap, which was only mains pressure tap in the building. I think you may be thinking of the header/expansion tank for the hot water circulation to the radiators and primary feed to the hot water cylinder.

Modern houses seem to be changing to either combi boilers or main pressure water systems, neither of which have a water header tank.

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
We always drink the water from our tanks and always will. Our dogs are the same - they drink from anything they find.

The water you generally put into your MH tank is tap water. It doesn't suddenly become less safe because it's stored for a few days.

The only time our tank has ever been cleaned is after a fill up somewhere in France gave it the dreaded TCP taint which although harmless doesn't taste very nice. The only way to get rid of it in the end was to use Puriclean.
Hear hear! Tap water in this country,"eau potable" in France and its equivalent in other countries is perfectly safe and drinkable. Why make work/waste money/use up storage when you have a perfectly good supply of drinking water in your motorhome tank?

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Swear by our nature pure water purifier and never had a problem even in places like Morocco. Definitely a must have for us. Just remember - you do need to change the filter at least once a year.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I only drink bottled water. If I have visitors to the van I give them water from the tank.

;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back