Mattress replacement - comments please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Minxy Girl, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Thinking of changing our rear bed cushion seat squabs for a 'normal' type double mattress as we don't use it as a lounge and hubby suffers with hip-ache even with a topper on.

Today I saw a double memory foam mattress in Lidl for £80, 15cm thick, and supposedly it allows the bed to breath so no issues with condensation on top of the solid seat bases. We've got a normal mattress at home with a memory foam topper so I've no experience of a 'total' memory foam one.

Has anyone done this and/or has anyone got one of the Lidl mattresses?

2. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Well we have one of those tempur mattresses at home. That's a total memory foam. We've had it for about 6 years now, maybe longer . It cost a bomb when we bought it. It's great. But there's a lot of different copies around now . We love it.
    Problem is , it spoils you which ever other bed you sleep on.
    We've got a topper on our over cab bed in the MH. Which is about a couple of inches thick.
    Though the mattress is quite comfy up there anyway , we got used to the memory foam , with our bed having it. So it felt weird not having that spongy feel to it.
    When we do the conversion we were going to get those duvelay quilty things. As it will be two singles.

3. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Memory foam isn't for everyone. The way it moulds around you can make turning over difficult. They can also be very warm.

4. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

We also have a Tempur, both at home and in the RV. Superb, but bloody heavy.:sleep:

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Always the first thing I change in our vans.. We just go to the local bed shop and get an ordinary box spring joby same as we have at home

6. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We have a Tempur one at home and also Tempur pillows. We tried a (much) cheaper version of the pillows in the van and they aren't the same at all. In the end we got the Tempur pillows for the van too. I guess there's memory foam and memory foam and you very much get what you pay for! Personally I wouldn't expect much for £80.

Also Tim is correct they are very warm. You won't need much of a duvet - at home we use our summer 4.5 tog one all year round.

7. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

We paid around 400 for ours but it has lasted 15 years so far.
    and £400 for a van one in Peterborough Show.
    But the quality alone makes it worth it.

8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Depends on what you like, we bought tempur pillows for the van, but now only use them in the winter. Too hot and sweaty for winter use.

edit I meant summer use of course.