Mastic etc

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Baldrick, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Baldrick

Baldrick Deleted User

Hi, does anyone have any tips for removing mastic/sealant from gel coat of grp bodywork?

Thanks

Mark

2. kands

kands Read Only Funster

I know this may sound sarcastic, but it is not meant to :BigGrin: I believe that there are products called mastic remover. If I see anything I will post a link here.

Keith

3. Baldrick

Baldrick Deleted User

Thanks Keith, I've seen some products for mastic removal, but I am uncertain as to whether they will damage the gel coat. I was hoping to get other peoples experiences/tips. (I am terrified of damaging the gel coat!!!)

Mark

4. Baldrick

Baldrick Deleted User

Oh, and happy birthday!

5. kands

kands Read Only Funster

Thanks for the wishes :BigGrin:
    I know what you mean about the fear of damaging your van, it is really scary isn't it? I can only think to ask a local bodyshop for their ideas, especially if the do work on lorries and busses? Maybe ask your local caravan repair shop, they may even sell you the right product.
    You could always try a product in a corner where it will not be noticed before showering it all over the side, just to be sure :Wink:
    Good luck matey

Keith

6. fordy

fordy Deleted User

Hi if it is the soft non setting mastic like the RVs have around the windows, that tends to oozed out then i cut off the worst of it with a sharp knife then cleaned the staining with white spirit. but if its the silicon sealer like rubber then i would look at silicon eaters but as you say i don't know what it may do to the gelcoat is there any way you can test it somewhere ?

FORDY:Smile:

7. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

8. fordy

fordy Deleted User

9. Enodreven

Enodreven Deleted User

10. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Laughing::Laughing::Cool: Already put that one on a previous thread. But it doesn't hurt to remind people. :Wink:

11. Enodreven

Enodreven Deleted User

Sorry John, I couldn't remember where I had seen the link before,
    Brian